Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football! Footie! Fußball! Fútbol! And of course Soccer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Yeah. They seem to rate both Brazil and Argentina who haven't faced a European team in a long while.
    England shouldn't be discounted. Either France. So much depth. I like the look of Germany at the moment. Denmark and Serbia both had good recent campaigns.

Back in Woso. USA meets England soon in front of a full house at Wembley. 87,000? Gonna be a great match. There's history between these 2. I still occasionally rewatch that semifinal from France 2019.
    Ellen White nearly willed them to win. Shockin' PK by Houghton. Oh well.

Matildas also play South Africa in London, the day after so Sam Kerr should be able to watch her girlfriend Kristie Mewis come off the bench.

Leave a comment:

• kkleinschmidt
    replied
    Nice article about the power rankings for the upcoming World Cup.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...hs-to-go-qatar

Can't find too much to argue with actually.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    ROLLIN' CRIMSON THUNDER

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg-27.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	27437

Sheen addresses the Welsh team in person. Am I pumped for the World Cup? Think so!!!

https://youtu.be/0prr592KFtY

Blood! Lots of Blood! Welsh blood. C'mon!!! LFG!!!
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; Yesterday, 01:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kkleinschmidt
    replied
    The US Men just finished up two friendlies and the results were not promising: 2-0 loss to Japan and 0-0 tie with Saudi Arabia. My already low expectations for the upcoming World Cup were supported by their performance and made even lower if possible. I'm not seeing how this will get fixed between now and the first match with Wales on Nov 21, and if it keeps going down this path we will be lucky to score a goal much less win a match in group play.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Then again noone is unbeatable.
    Denmark 2 France nil.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Lots of World Cup hype graphics during the NFL games today on Fox.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Caught up with EUFA highlights. Just European teams. No Brazil or Argentina. France again look strong. Mbappe is honestly 5 strides faster than everyone.
    Serbia look strong. Croatia. England are just off the boil. Hangover from losin' the final of the Euros?
    Spain look good as do Portugal. Germany are young and fast. Blitzkreig? Holland look strong.

The Socceroos have actually played in Qatar often recently but don't expect them to get out of the group. Low expectations.

Gonna get Optus+ again to watch most games I can. Hopin' England can go deep. Though I hope Wales can give them "some Welsh sugar!!!"
    Will enjoy France.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg-260.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	27061
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 09-25-2022, 01:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post

Hello Gtkgasman! The US made it into the World Cup and landed in group B along with England, Iran, and Wales. It's been quite some time since our men have made it to a World Cup so I'm hoping they give us something to root for but it's going to be an uphill battle just to get to the Round of 16 and once there moving forward is extremely tough. I will be shocked if they make it out of group play.

Good schedule here https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/464f16...h-Schedule.pdf. Enjoy what you can and here's hoping for some good soccer fun!

Ohhh. Excellent. Thx!!!!

Leave a comment:

• kkleinschmidt
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post
    What’s the beer situation for the World Cup?? 😂😂. Looks like it might be complicated to get a brew 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

seriously though - a World Cup thread will need to be started. Certainly not by me. As I know less about “soccer” leagues , than, well, prob almost everyone here. Lol.

is there a US team? Not that it would prob matter. Guess I gotta brush up quick. 😉
    Hello Gtkgasman! The US made it into the World Cup and landed in group B along with England, Iran, and Wales. It's been quite some time since our men have made it to a World Cup so I'm hoping they give us something to root for but it's going to be an uphill battle just to get to the Round of 16 and once there moving forward is extremely tough. I will be shocked if they make it out of group play.

Good schedule here https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/464f16...h-Schedule.pdf. Enjoy what you can and here's hoping for some good soccer fun!

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied

yeah. I read a funny article about a month back on trying to control consumption and the local laws, etc. well. Seemed funny to me.

I know you understand the world leagues well as you explained them to me. I look forward to reading posts by those who know the game, about the matchups, as the tourney progresses. Honestly it’s the only time I really watch. But I do follow close ea h time.
    It's going to be weird having the domestic season paused for the World Cup. It's never happened before. It's still going to be damned hot in Qatar, even in December though. On current form I'm not optimistic for England's chances.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I think they're creating fan zones for overseas fans with beer. It'll be curious to see how many locals gain access to have one...
    yeah. I read a funny article about a month back on trying to control consumption and the local laws, etc. well. Seemed funny to me.

I know you understand the world leagues well as you explained them to me. I look forward to reading posts by those who know the game, about the matchups, as the tourney progresses. Honestly it’s the only time I really watch. But I do follow close ea h time.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    What’s the beer situation for the World Cup?? 😂😂. Looks like it might be complicated to get a brew 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
    I think they're creating fan zones for overseas fans with beer. It'll be curious to see how many locals gain access to have one...

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied

seriously though - a World Cup thread will need to be started. Certainly not by me. As I know less about “soccer” leagues , than, well, prob almost everyone here. Lol.

is there a US team? Not that it would prob matter. Guess I gotta brush up quick. 😉
    Last edited by Gtkgasman; 09-25-2022, 02:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    WSL season commences with 2 very big upsets:

1. The newly promoted Lady Reds from Liverpool stun Sam Kerr's Chelsea 2-1.

2. Aston Villa stun Manchester City who are basically England FC 4-3 with a Daly Double. Welcome home Rachel!

Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpeg-246.jpg Views:	6 Size:	28.0 KB ID:	26388
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 09-18-2022, 04:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Arsenal have brought on a 15-year-old, youngest Prem player ever, for the last few minutes. Born in 2007, to put that into perspective...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X