Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football! Footie! Fußball! Fútbol! And of course Soccer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONE TEAM, ONE DREAM

DAZN doco feat. CHELSEA WOMEN season 2019-2020. Wasn't allowed on youtube down here but thanks to a link kindly supplied by a poster on a WOSO chat forum I lurk on. Watched first episode and it's bloody marvelous. Beautifully filmed and warts'n'all. Emma Hayes swears a lot. Is ruthless. They hold player meetin's and she challenges the player. At the end you would expect them to hug it out. Nope. She is tough. Cue a few teary ladies in cars. Feel sorry for them. It's a ruthless biz. Ted Lasso this is not. Sorry for Beth England who Hayes is particularly hard on. Her fitness. Her diet. Then the news they've signed Sam Kerr. Lots of honest reactions. England btw is an impressive person. Not only due to play for England in upcomin' Euros as she rose to Hayes' challenge but is also soon to become a barrister. She smart. Anyhoo is a great doco on the rise of WOSO esp. In England. A valuable insight into an elite club with an elite manager.

https://href.li/?https://www.youtube...6Mt4KaRSxalW62
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 05-31-2022, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Congrats Wales. You deserve it. Your keeper Hennessey was biblical. Surely he's a son of Eire? Anyhoo 58 years of pain finally overcome. Know the feelin'. We waited 32 years to go to The Big Dance in 2006. So can't imagine how euphoric the Taffies feel today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GettyImages-1241123289.jpg Views:	0 Size:	162.1 KB ID:	18099
      Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 06-06-2022, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Being half-Welsh (maternal grandparents were from Caernarfon, came to Leicestershire between the wars for work), I'm especially pleased to see Wales reach the World Cup proper!
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

LIVE TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY

Well that was tense. We always make it hard on ourselves to qualify. Just saw off UAE 2-1. in Qatar. Man, it was 47 degrees today. No wonder the World Cup stadiums have air conditionin'.

Now up against Peru. In six days. 90 more minutes. To qualify for the Big Dance!

Love all the Scotties in the side. Some have never even set foot on the wide, brown land. HEHHEHEHEEHEHEHEHHEHEEEEE!

A good lookin' Hruster. Ajdin Hustric. A wicked-hot worldie volley from 23 yards, not even the Devil himself could stop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3500-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.7 KB ID:	18241
          Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 06-07-2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Congratulations Australia!
            Gilly Goodness
            Australia become the 31st team to book their place at the 2022 World Cup after beating Peru on penalties in an intercontinental play-off in Qatar.

Comment

WE'RE ON OUR WAY TO QATAR

Thanks Ash. The Planets are indeed aligned. Merely hours after Billy Sherwood and Jay Schellen brought the thunder down from the sky in Tavistock openin' with the mighty OTSWOF
              the boys in Gold are on the way to the Big Dance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	images.jpeg-132.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.7 KB ID:	18797

Click image for larger version  Name:	FVKYpgNXsAEVwRm.jpeg.jpg Views:	6 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	18805

Click image for larger version  Name:	FVKYzm2VsAIqs_Y.jpeg.jpg Views:	5 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	18806

Andrew Redmayne. They call him the Grey Wiggle, as he dances across the goal line defendin' penalties. He saved 2!
              Tall keeper, bearded, a Ginger Ned Kelly with ice in his veins.

After 120 minutes of gritty football, where we were on the front foot more than not against Peru who are 20 rankin's above us.
              Match played in good spirit in front of an amazin' Peru fan turnout in Qatar. That's a long way to go. There were probly
              20,000 of them. Red and White. We had maybe 500.

Massive relief as we have been to the last 4 WC's. But qualification is not guaranteed. Means a lot for the code that is 4th largest behind Aussie Rules, rugby union and rugby league.

Woke my son up, shoutin' YES!!!! when Redders saved the last penalty!
              730 am down here. The sun is shinin'! You bet it is!

Will we make the QF's in Qatar in November? Hope so. Probly not. Heeehee. Happy just to go!

This team was written off but as coach Arnold said we have the Aussie DNA. What's that? Mateship. Goin'back 60,000 years people have walked onto the hottest and driest continent and survived. Not only survived but thrived.

GO YOU GOOD THINGS!!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	3392571-69331688-2560-1440.jpg Views:	1 Size:	155.2 KB ID:	18798
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 06-13-2022, 06:52 PM.

Comment

As Jon Anderson once sang ,"It Will be a Good Day!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	FVKT3wjaQAAGD5z.jpeg.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	18822

Comment

Goin' on tour November.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FVKXE-gaIAAjg8y.jpeg.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	18827

Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 06-13-2022, 07:08 PM.

Comment

We just watched the FIFA 2026 World Cup city announcement show and of course Cincinnati didn't get a spot which is fine since we probably wouldn't go anyway. But Meadowlands Stadium in NJ is a horrible choice and shame on FIFA for picking it (of course they have no shame). Lots of talk about teams using our training facility so we will see how that works out and it would be good fun to go check that out (if it's allowed).

Comment

I was lucky enough to attend one of the matches in 1994 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. I seriously doubt I'll get to see any of the games in 2026, although I'm within 4 hours of several of the venues.
                      Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                      My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

K-shmitty, where are they playin' the final?

Also 42 teams right?

At least there'll be no fricken qualifyin' drama with 8 teams goin'from Asia.

On the upcomin' Qatar WC. seems both Argentina and Brazil are now favourites. The Nations League results have been strange. England got hammered by Hungary. France have lost. Holland and Belgium inconsistant. Same as Germany, Spain and Portugal. Wales are a dark horse. Denmark look good. Wouldn't put much stock in these results. Seems teams are experimentin'.
                        Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 06-16-2022, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                          K-shmitty, where are they playin' the final?

Also 42 teams right?

At least there'll be no fricken qualifyin' drama with 8 teams goin'from Asia.

On the upcomin' Qatar WC. seems both Argentina and Brazil are now favourites. The Nations League results have been strange. England got hammered by Hungary. France have lost. Holland and Belgium inconsistant. Same as Germany, Spain and Portugal. Wales are a dark horse. Denmark look good. Wouldn't put much stock in these results. Seems teams are experimentin'.
                          They have not announced any specifics about which cities get individual matches, but no doubt that is the next step in their process. One thing you can probably count on is the final will be the largest Word Cup crowd ever which might mean the final will be in Azteca Stadium Mexico City.

Azteca Stadium is crazy. I went to a Cruz Azul match there when I was a kid back in the 70s. Largest football crowd I have ever been part of. Fun times indeed!
                          Last edited by kkleinschmidt; 06-16-2022, 03:38 PM.

Comment

One thing you can probably count on is the final will be the largest Word Cup crowd ever which might mean the final will be in Azteca Stadium Mexico City.

Azteca Stadium is crazy. I went to a Cruz Azul match there when I was a kid back in the 70s. Largest football crowd I have ever been part of. Fun times indeed![/QUOTE]

Nowadays capacity is 81,000. Acc to wikipedia.

Record in 68 was 119,000.

Comment

Next season's, 2022/23, fixtures were released yesterday morning. Because of the World Cup, the Prem is starting a week earlier, and finishing later in May than usual. The Prem is suspended for six weeks in November and December.
                              Leicester City's first game is set to be on Saturday August 6, at home to Brentford.
                              Champions Manchester City travel to West Ham on the opening weekend of the 2022-23 Premier League season.
                              Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 06-16-2022, 10:39 PM.

Comment

BIG WAKEUP CALL

Got up nice and early to watch The Matildas ( minus Sam Kerr and 8 other starters ) V Spain who are mainly Barcelona. Very good at possession soccer. Ticky-tacky style. No striker however of note. They rely on Putellas and the midfield. So 1 nil down at halftime was gratifyin'. The Spanish were a class above but we were plucky.

Then the second half. 7 goals to the bad. Some worldies by the Spanish. We looked like deer caught in the headlights. But our full strength side with Kerr, Carpenter, Foord, Raso, Catley, Kennedy, Logarzo and Fowler and we should fare better.

Now are Spain good enough to win the Euros that are startin' next week in England? Yes and no. Again they have no striker like Ellen White or Katoto from France. England have real weapons like Hemp, Bronze, Daly, Greenwood and to me are the favourites, esp.at home.
                                Ada Hederberg is back for Norway so they could do well. England just hammered Holland 5-1 so the reignin' champs might find it tough.

Germany, Sweden, Spain, France, England. Who will triumph?

Comment

Working...
                                X