Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is forcing a 10 year old rape victim to give birth pro-life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is forcing a 10 year old rape victim to give birth pro-life?

South Dakota governor Kristi Noem deflected from answering Dana Bash when asked if she would permit exceptions to the state's abortion ban for victims of rape and incest, using a recent case of a 10-year-old being denied access to an abortion in Ohio, forcing her to travel to Indiana to get the procedure, as the basis for her answer. Unsurprisingly, Noem was completely okay with this situation happening to other girls in her state, keeping women prisoners to the conservative state's wishes.

No, it's not "pro-life". Forcing a 10-year-old child to have a rape-baby will permanently affect her life.

It's merely "pro-birth".

If those that are fighting so vociferously against the women having the right to abort a baby were truly pro-LIFE, they'd be doing everything they could to make sure we all had access to Universal Health Care.

Comment

f**king disgusting, bring back women's rights, bring universal health care, bring new gun laws
      The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
      -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
      -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

The religious nuts are destroying America. Have they forgotten the country was formed to escape religious oppression?

Comment

Originally posted by jskawaken1 View Post
          The religious nuts are destroying America. Have they forgotten the country was formed to escape religious oppression?
          Or was it escaping one form of religious oppression to start another?

Comment

I'm not a doctor, but in addition to the obvious and severe psychological trauma this would inflict on the person being forced to carry the pregnancy to term and give birth in this situation, I also have to think that the risk of a 10-year old becoming permanently injured or dying during a pregnancy or during childbirth must also be much higher than they would be for an adult woman. The physical adjustments the body makes when women get older that increase the odds of a successful pregnancy, like wider hips and so forth, would almost certainly not all be there yet.

However, a lot of these new abortion bans and restrictions make no exception for the life and health of the mother (I think the situation in the OP itself demonstrates that they aren't making an exception for rape and possibly incest). If you go back 30 years or so, almost all anti-abortion politicians proposed exceptions for rape, incest, the life of the mother, and sometimes even the health of the mother. Today's conservatives often no longer do that. They've become radicalized in a way their parents weren't, or that they themselves weren't, a few decades ago.

You also used to see politicians say that of course they wouldn't go after the women seeking abortions and put them in prison, that their enforcement mechanism would be to go after the doctors, but we are starting to see more (Though not yet a majority) of Republicans slide in the direction of putting the people seeking abortions in prison, too.

Another thing that's on the rise is the switch from the language of Republicans saying that of course if Roe versus Wade were overturned, the states would decide individually, to Republicans pushing for new nationwide restrictions on, or bans of, abortion.

And, of course, just as before Roe versus Wade, we saw women get severely injured and die as the result of back alley or self-induced abortions where the methods and equipment used were extremely dangerous and the people doing it not necessarily qualified, in today's world, we'll probably see drug dealers offering RU-487 pills and the like that are now used to induce abortions. The problem is, your neighborhood drug dealer offers no medical oversight or follow-up. In fact, they may instruct (with an implied threat) women not to seek real medical help if problems crop up out of concern that the women would implicate the drug dealer if they wound up in a hospital. Women also won't be able to be sure what they are getting when they buy abortion pills from a drug dealer. One thing that causes a lot of overdose deaths is that some drug dealers are selling various recreational drugs that are laced with fentanyl, the most deadly opioid in the world, without informing their customers (There is some question as to whether they are doing this on purpose or whether they are just being sloppy by reusing the same equipment to weigh and package drugs and getting things mixed up, either at the point of sale or further up the supply chain.). Given a supply chain that includes a lot of people acting illegally or hosting illegal operations, it would be hard for even the drug dealer at the point of sale to know if what he is selling women is legit or not. Some people up and down that supply chain could just substitute poisons for abortion pills, or cut the pills with poison, figuring a certain amount would get the fetus and not the mother- most of the time. And of course this would fund criminal gangs at home and abroad.

Plus, there will likely be the return of coat-hanger abortions, people throwing themselves down the stairs, using household cleaners, abortions performed with rusty knives, and so on and so forth. We will have a lot more dead women as the result of the Supreme Court's decision and the Republican-led state governments that are imposing these restrictions.

I understand why people find abortion distasteful, but this isn't the answer. I think Bill Clinton's formula of making abortion safe, rare, and legal is probably what we should be aiming for. Safe and legal can be regulated, and should be the law. Rare is a question of changing hearts and minds, which is basically a public relations campaign that people could wage advocating for people to give birth and either raise their potential child, or to put said child up for adoption. Ultimately, I think we need to recognize that in the final analysis, this is a choice that should, in legal terms, be up to the woman, while at the same time helping the economically disadvantaged with access to free or low-cost health care, college educations, daycare, and so on and so forth- so that potential mothers can feel more confident that they can continue to pursue their educations and dreams, and that their potential child would have the same options, and thus be less likely to choose abortion.

Not allowing a 10 year old to terminate a pregnancy is grotesque. Republicans are out of step with the American people and American values. I don't think Americans are necessarily 100% pro-choice, but I do think they are mostly for legal abortion in the first trimester, when rape or incest is involved, or when the life or health of the mother is in significant danger. Republicans have really I think overstepped on this one.

Now it's on Democrats and other people who think the Republicans have gone too far to come out and vote in November.
            Last edited by downbyariver; 07-09-2022, 11:06 AM.
            "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
              South Dakota governor Kristi Noem deflected from answering Dana Bash when asked if she would permit exceptions to the state's abortion ban for victims of rape and incest, using a recent case of a 10-year-old being denied access to an abortion in Ohio, forcing her to travel to Indiana to get the procedure, as the basis for her answer. Unsurprisingly, Noem was completely okay with this situation happening to other girls in her state, keeping women prisoners to the conservative state's wishes.

Her answer "Every single life is precious.", Yeah, well execept the life of that 10-year-old apparantly.

Comment

And that's why all the Retaliban groupies are beyond pathetic, because they knew well, what will happen after Roe v. Wade was overturned by the Suicide Bomber Court. At least half of the states will revert to Y'allqaeda, completely repressing women. I told ya so, and you lied it's just about the constitution. It was either beyond naïve or willfully evil.

Comment

Always hiding behind “states’ rights” and “the law” when it suits them. The same people are essentially ok with child abuse in the Catholic Church. Hopeless cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post
                    Always hiding behind “states’ rights” and “the law” when it suits them. The same people are essentially ok with child abuse in the Catholic Church. Hopeless cases.
                    Well, I would argue that in this particular case they're also ok with child abuse.

Comment

I’m pro life**.

But this is pro stupid - unbelievable.

The time of decency, common sense, and respect, have gone by the wayside.

** w/ exceptions.
                      Last edited by RedSonja; 07-08-2022, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Well, I would argue that in this particular case they're also ok with child abuse.
                        Agreed. It fits the pattern.

Comment

Also:

A pregnant Texas woman who was ticketed for driving in the HOV lane suggested that Roe v. Wade being overturned by the Supreme Court means that her fetus counted as a passenger, and that she should not have been cited.

I actually agree with her. If an unborn child is a person, then that person should have all the same rights inside of or outside of the mother's body.

If all this "life happens after fertilization" is not just an empty phrase.

Comment

Also:

A pregnant Texas woman who was ticketed for driving in the HOV lane suggested that Roe v. Wade being overturned by the Supreme Court means that her fetus counted as a passenger, and that she should not have been cited.

I actually agree with her. If an unborn child is a person, then that person should have all the same rights inside of or outside of the mother's body.

If all this "life happens after fertilization" is not just an empty phrase.
                            Not only that....

If a fetus is a person it should get child support, due process, citizenship. It should get a name and social security number to begin exercising private rights and using public resources. But also so the mother can claim the fetus on taxes and to obtain insurance coverage, so the mother can collect if she miscarries.

That's if one is actually being consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

Not only that....

If a fetus is a person it should get child support, due process, citizenship. It should get a name and social security number to begin exercising private rights and using public resources. But also so the mother can claim the fetus on taxes and to obtain insurance coverage, so the mother can collect if she miscarries.

That's if one is actually being consistent.
                              Exactly! Well that's the key difference between party slogans and actual consistent policy.

Comment

Working...
                              X