Best Drum Intros in Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
    OMFG I love that song! But I feel like it succeeds in spite of itself, simply by virtue of the performances.
    He must’ve written the lyrics at breakfast, but even the dopey (and probably tossed-together) bridge fits. Somehow it just works. 🙃

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
      The Sheltering Sky - King Crimson which of course features Bill Bruford.
      I forgot about this one! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Davy View Post
        My Sharona.
        I feel like Bruce Gary was a severely underrated drummer, but not by the industry.
        Rabin-esque
        my labor of love (and obsessive research)
        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Oh here's another one I love, the intro is a joint effort of Stan Lynch and Phil Jones. Including both versions because they're both really cool.

Rabin-esque
          rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

...and then I happened to listen to this today. Although Escape grabbed all the glory, I prefer Frontiers if we're talking Egregiously 80s Journey.

Rabin-esque
            rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

The Who - I've Had Enough (Moon)
              The, Who, Quadrophenia, Roger, Daltrey, Pete, Townshend, John, Entwistle, Keith, Moon

Jon Anderson- Unlearning (Phillips)

Comment

Stargazer - Rainbow
                Only You know and I know - Phil Collins
                Wipeout - The Surfaris

Comment

Well Phil did take over production and redid Frida's There's Something Going On, playing drums, and bringing a long mate Daryl Stuermer, who picked up the cheapest, out of tune guitar, to make it quite the hit. The video didn't hurt either. Frida is AWESOME!

Comment

how about some glammy stuff:

Cum On Feel The Noise (the Quiet Riot cover, not the original Slade one)
                    Jeepster - T-Rex
                    For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post
                      Well Phil did take over production and redid Frida's There's Something Going On, playing drums, and bringing a long mate Daryl Stuermer, who picked up the cheapest, out of tune guitar, to make it quite the hit. The video didn't hurt either. Frida is AWESOME!

https://youtu.be/p98PjtSfNWo
                      Then there's Phil's drums on both Strip and Puss & Boots by Adam Ant from his 'Strip' album (a very good album if you're looking for a later Roxy Music vibe). He should have played on the whole album, not just the two singles.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post

Then there's Phil's drums on both Strip and Puss & Boots by Adam Ant from his 'Strip' album (a very good album if you're looking for a later Roxy Music vibe). He should have played on the whole album, not just the two singles.
                        Really? I loved Adam Ant back in the day!

I believe his double drumming team also played on that often played song, on MTV, I want Candy. Later it was revealed that the singer of that song was only fifteen at the time.

Yes, I had read about that Roxy vibe, maybe from you on here. Adam was in a mental institution for a bit. Still quite the showman from what I saw recently. I believe I dressed up as him for Halloween during high school, just a few years back. ;-)

Comment

Dream Theater - Honor Thy Father

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                            TIL. I didn't know Phil played on those. I need to pay closer attention next time.

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post

Really? I loved Adam Ant back in the day!

I believe his double drumming team also played on that often played song, on MTV, I want Candy. Later it was revealed that the singer of that song was only fifteen at the time.

Yes, I had read about that Roxy vibe, maybe from you on here. Adam was in a mental institution for a bit. Still quite the showman from what I saw recently. I believe I dressed up as him for Halloween during high school, just a few years back. ;-)
                              Yes, the musicians backing that 15 year old singer were indeed the original Ants, who all left Adam Ant at the same time to form Bow Wow Wow (whatta name!), leaving him to construct the Kings Of The Wild Frontier album. Talk about good drum intros in rock, Adam Ant/Adam & The Ants is chock full of great drum intros. Antmusic, Dog Eat Dog, Kings Of The Wild Frontier, every song on that album is good double drum intros and drumming throughout. And 'Kick' has one of the coolest drum patterns I've ever heard. Adam Ant is an artist I rather admire, a clever musician. Sometimes I think his voice sounds almost like a better cross between glam-era Eno and Marc Bolan.

For that Roxy vibe, look no further than Prince Charming album. That guitarist even sounds like Phil Manzanera when he's not in spaghetti western mode. Antmusic is good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PhaseDance View Post

TIL. I didn't know Phil played on those. I need to pay closer attention next time.
                                Yeah, he played on the two singles Strip and Puss & Boots. I'm not sure if he played on the two non-album B-sides for those or not. I believe he produced the singles as well. Phil and his kit got around in those days.

Comment

Working...
                                X