Gary Brooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gary Brooker

Brooker co-wrote and sang the band's biggest hit, 1967's A Whiter Shade Of Pale.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

One of the best voices in prog, so very soulful.
    RIP

Comment

Once again, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame misses the boat on an artist who should have been inducted years ago and now will have to be inducted posthumously. I was trying to book interviews for him about a year ago but I knew he had been in ill health and unavailable. Many health issues over the years are well documented. I had seen Procol Harum open for YES (official) in the 70's, and then again some years back at the Tower Theater and other venues. They were excellent. I'm so sorry to hear this!

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
        One of the best voices in prog, so very soulful.
        RIP
        I've been listening to Procol Harum for 50 years so it's a sad time. Not sure about the 'prog' attribution though. The underground music scene of the late 60s in London, the correlary of the San Francisco psychedelic scene of the same period, evolved, in part, into what became progressive music but I see it very much as period-specific and it had largely ended by the second half of the 70s. To flourish and evolve further it needed the backing and indulgence of record companies run by people with an enthusiasm for expansive, experimental music-making, and they'd vanished by then.
        'Prog' is a much more recent phenomenon and, by and large, not one I like all that much. It apes the styles and technical prowess of the underground and progressive music of the late 1960s/first half of the 1970s, but it isn't actually 'progressive', as such. For that evolutionary thrust, one must look elsewhere.

Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Well, proto prog then...

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

I've been listening to Procol Harum for 50 years so it's a sad time. Not sure about the 'prog' attribution though. The underground music scene of the late 60s in London, the correlary of the San Francisco psychedelic scene of the same period, evolved, in part, into what became progressive music but I see it very much as period-specific and it had largely ended by the second half of the 70s. To flourish and evolve further it needed the backing and indulgence of record companies run by people with an enthusiasm for expansive, experimental music-making, and they'd vanished by then.
            'Prog' is a much more recent phenomenon and, by and large, not one I like all that much. It apes the styles and technical prowess of the underground and progressive music of the late 1960s/first half of the 1970s, but it isn't actually 'progressive', as such. For that evolutionary thrust, one must look elsewhere.

Spot on—on all counts.

RIP, Gary. This is a difficult passing for me. 💔
            Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Damn. RIP. 😞

Comment

A great talent. I’m so sorry he has passed.

Comment

https://youtu.be/4YYsUpoOJjA

One of my favorites, a lesser known song.
                  I first found a live version from 1977, but this much more recent one, is actually better, so I chose this one.

Comment

Procol Harum is one of those bands that I wish I had gotten into back in their heyday. Of course I had heard "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and the live version of "Conquistador" on the radio. It wasn't until I saw them open for Jethro Tull back in the early 90's (I think) that I bought a best of CD and started getting into their albums. Saw them open for Yes in 2012 also and really loved their set. RIP Gary.
                    Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                    My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Originally posted by Close to the Edge 72 View Post
                      Once again, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame misses the boat on an artist who should have been inducted years ago and now will have to be inducted posthumously.
                      Once again... These sorts of choices compounded by the fact that Rock and Roll is clearly not a requirement to be inducted is why I have never been and will never go here even if someone drove me there and gave me free tickets!

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
                        I have never been and will never go here even if someone drove me there and gave me free tickets!
                        How does that fact that Madonna is in detract from the fact that The Beatles, Yes, and U2 are in? Can't you go see the exhibits dedicated to the artists you like and ignore the other exhibits? I've actually travelled to Cleveland to see the Hall and I can assure you that literally nobody physically restrained me and forced me to look at the 2Pac exhibit.

Just sayin' ...

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post

Once again... These sorts of choices compounded by the fact that Rock and Roll is clearly not a requirement to be inducted is why I have never been and will never go here even if someone drove me there and gave me free tickets!
                          I had to go when Yes were inducted in honor of my late friend #EdSciaky who was unable to go because time ran out on him, #ChrisSquire, and #PeterBanks. I booed #JannWenner so loud and long I was able to get others to join me. That part didn't make it to the HBO final version but I wanted him to know I didn't appreciate that these three didn't get to see Yes get inducted. It was a great night even if the tension between the two camps was palpable. They still sounded great at the show and I always hoped to make it there to see it happen. A whole bunch of friends were there with me from the Yes fan camp.

Comment

One of the highlights of my live shows over the years was seeing/hearing Brooker and Procol Harum perform Whiter Shade of Pale, Salty Dog, Hamburg, and others on a tour with Yes several years ago. WSOP is one of the greatest songs in the rock era. RIP Gary.

Comment

Working...
                            X