Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pele, Brazilian footballer, 82

Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil legend Pele, who is regarded by many as football's greatest player, dies at the age of 82.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Brazil legend Pelé, whose captivating skill and athleticism ensured he was universally regarded as one of football’s greatest players, has died
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

He was an inspiration when I was a kid. RIP

Comment

If you want to watch a very entertaining and also very interesting documentary about Pelé's years with the NY Cosmos, try to find a copy of "Once in a lifetime". It's also available as a book.

It shows how crazy it was for the greatest player of all time to go to the North American Soccer League, which was basically a semi-pro league at the time. The Cosmos played at a small stadium on Randall's Island. For Pelé's first game, broadcast in 22 countries, the field (or pitch, as they say in the UK) was sprayed with green pain to give the illusion that it was grass. . In fact, it was just dirt!

Comment

My first exposure to Pelé was in a soccer instructional video that they showed at a soccer camp I went to back in the mid 70s. The central theme of the video was creating space and they had examples of Pelé doing exactly that. I also remember when Pelé came to the US to play in New York and thinking at the time that was a huge deal because we were literally in the early days of soccer catching on in the US, and look where we are now nearly 50 years later.

Thanks for the memories Pelé. You will be missed...

Comment

Originally posted by michelforest View Post
            If you want to watch a very entertaining and also very interesting documentary about Pelé's years with the NY Cosmos, try to find a copy of "Once in a lifetime". It's also available as a book.

It shows how crazy it was for the greatest player of all time to go to the North American Soccer League, which was basically a semi-pro league at the time. The Cosmos played at a small stadium on Randall's Island. For Pelé's first game, broadcast in 22 countries, the field (or pitch, as they say in the UK) was sprayed with green pain to give the illusion that it was grass. . In fact, it was just dirt!

I did some reading and turns out this team was owned and created by none other than Ahmet and Nesuhi Ertegun who, of course, ran Atlantic Records. Definitely want to watch this movie...

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...%E2%80%931985)

I did some reading and turns out this team was owned and created by none other than Ahmet and Nesuhi Ertegun who, of course, ran Atlantic Records. Definitely want to watch this movie...
              Yes, they were behind the team at the very start. They also were some of the people who decided to sign Pelé.

I believe it was the Erteguns who eventually convinced Steve Ross, the CEO of Warner Communications, to buy the club. The Warner money bankrolled the Cosmos and gave it the resources to sign Pelé, Franz Beckenbauer, Carlos Alberto and Giorgio Chinaglia.

The documentary is a lot of fun, by the way, because of the crazy stories about the NASL and the Cosmos. It's very much about New York in the seventies and that crazy time period.

And you probably knew also that Rick Wakeman was one of the owners of the Philadelphia Fury, also a NASL team. Rick said that he lost a lot of money in that venture but had a lot of fun. (The Fury were moved in 1981 to Montreal and became the Montreal Manic, the first professional soccer/football I ever saw.)

Comment

Originally posted by michelforest View Post

And you probably knew also that Rick Wakeman was one of the owners of the Philadelphia Fury, also a NASL team. Rick said that he lost a lot of money in that venture but had a lot of fun. (The Fury were moved in 1981 to Montreal and became the Montreal Manic, the first professional soccer/football I ever saw.)

Didn't Rick part own Brentford back in the day? Now Ryan Reynolds and that other Yank own some Welsh 3rd division club.

But American Equity is the big mover beside Saudi and Qatar money and assorted Russian oligarchs. Also own some of the All Blacks rugby team and are rumoured to make a deal with the Australian Wallabies. What does that all mean? Who is behind it all? Xi? King Bonesaw?

OK. Googled. American Superfund retirement insurance company. Big.
                Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 12-30-2022, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

Didn't Rick part own Brentford back in the day? Now Ryan Reynolds and that other Yank own some Welsh 3rd division club.

But American Equity is the big mover beside Saudi and Qatar money and assorted Russian oligarchs. Also own some of the All Blacks rugby team and are rumoured to make a deal with the Australian Wallabies. What does that all mean? Who is behind it all? Xi? King Bonesaw?

OK. Googled. American Superfund retirement insurance company. Big.
                  Ryan Reynolds is Canadian, but Rob McElhenny is American. Wrexham i in the National League, the fifth tier.

Comment

Originally posted by TBC View Post

Ryan Reynolds is Canadian, but Rob McElhenny is American. Wrexham i in the National League, the fifth tier.
                    Thankyou TBC. Can see you are goin' to be a wonderful fact checker here. Goin' forward. 😉

Comment

Originally posted by TBC View Post

The fifth tier? So, is this a semi-pro team?

Comment

Working...
                      X