Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nik Turner, musician, 82

This has been a grim week for the Reaper....😢
    Sadly, Nik Turner of Hawkwind, Inner City Unit, and many other projects has passed away. He was 82. His social media platform released a statement: "We are deeply saddened to announce the passing of Nik Turner - The Might Thunder Rider, who passed away peacefully at home on Thursday evening. He has...
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Member of influential British space-rock band also played in Sphynx, Inner City Unit and Space Ritual

Comment

Some Yes fans may know him as a performer on the Prog Collective song "In Our Time", off of the Prog Collective's second album, entitled Epilogue. That song also featured Billy Sherwood and Geoff Downes.

Turner played on William Shatner's "Rhythm of the Night" from Shatner's Ponder the Mystery album as well.

Turner's solo song "Eternity" was featured on Purple Pyramid's (a small record label) free prog rock sampler in 2013.

Those aren't the songs he was most famous for, but they are the songs from him that I have in my collection (I may have some more for which he isn't credited in the metadata for whatever reason), and perhaps the ones you have in yours.

It's sad to hear of his passing. May he rest in peace.

Last edited by downbyariver; 11-12-2022, 09:17 PM.
      "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
        Some Yes fans may know him as a performer on the Prog Collective song "In Our Time", off of the Prog Collective's second album, entitled Epilogue. That song also featured Billy Sherwood and Geoff Downes.

Turner played on William Shatner's "Rhythm of the Night" from Shatner's Ponder the Mystery album as well.

Turner's solo song "Eternity" was featured on Purple Pyramid's (a small record label) free prog rock sampler in 2013.

Those aren't the songs he was most famous for, but they are the songs from him that I have in my collection (I may have some more for which he isn't credited in the metadata for whatever reason), and perhaps the ones you have in yours.

It's sad to hear of his passing. May he rest in peace.

Hawkwind were regulars on the free festival and university gig circuit throughout the 70s in the UK, so I saw Nik several times with them till his departure in 1976. He was on the first seven Hawkwind albums (at least!), as well as collaborations with Steve Hillage, Tim Blake, and various members of Gong/Mother Gong.
        When I went to Lanchester Poly (Now Coventry University) to see Hawkwind in (I think) 1975, Nik was in the students union bar before the gig and I bought him a pint. He turned up backstage at a Motorhead gig in (again, I think?) 1979, having been a bandmate of Lemmy's in Hawkwind.

Comment

"Their music was gritty, relentless, aggressive and overwhelming. Hawkwind could sound hypnotic or cathartic, but they never sounded euphoric or beatific: the bit of the drug experience they captured most perfectly wasn’t turning off your mind, relaxing and floating downstream, but the moment of sudden propulsion, where whatever you had taken started kicking in a little too dramatically."
          Despite his sometimes turbulent relationship with the rest of the band, Turner’s saxophone was an integral part of their gritty and cathartic 70s sound
          Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 11-13-2022, 10:32 AM.

Comment

No !

Comment

Well, a truly, deeply, awfully shit week just got that bit worse.

Comment

Originally posted by RelayerI View Post
                Well, a truly, deeply, awfully shit week just got that bit worse.
                Exactly my view on the past week.

Comment

The Hawks are probably the band I've seen the most. I saw Nick with them, with Inner City Unit, with The Hawklords and Space Ritual. Met him too - nice guy.

Ah, balls...

Comment

Working...
                  X