Julee Cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Julee Cruise

Singer who had chart hit with Falling in 1990 ‘left this realm on her own terms’ according to husband
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

I loved Floating into the Night, she had such a distinctive voice but her phrasing had a lot of influences woven together.
    Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
      I loved Floating into the Night, she had such a distinctive voice but her phrasing had a lot of influences woven together.
      Somewhat incongruously, when she started working with Angelo Badalamenti in the mid-80s, which led to her inclusion in David Lynch's Blue Velvet, she was playing Janis Joplin in a stage revue show in New York.
      Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 06-10-2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Funnily enough when Twin Peaks was first on TV, I was livin' down in Hobart, Tasmania studyin' furniture design at art school. A town that had timber log trucks thunderin' down the main street. Headin' for the docks. Very much like TwinPeaks. Strange, quirky characters too. Very frontier. Knew a guy who went off every holidays to gold prospect in the wilderness.

So her song was number 1 and the show was appointment telly. Will hear it again today. Sure to bring back memories.

Comment

Simply mesmerisin' song. Fallin'. Very dreamy in that Cocteau Twins way.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
            Simply mesmerisin' song. Fallin'. Very dreamy in that Cocteau Twins way.
            Lynch wanted to use This Mortal Coil's Song of the Siren, the Tim Buckley song, in Blue Velvet but licensing it was prohibitively expensive, so he asked Angelo Badalamenti to compose something in that style. At that point he was giving Julee some vocal coaching. She was doing musical theatre, she was belting out Janis Joplin songs, etc, so it was a wholly different approach for her and took some persuading. The rest is history. The Floating Into The Night album actually came out before Twin Peaks aired.

Comment

I wouldn’t listen to this music on its own, but I admit it was the perfect audio to the video, Enchancing it even.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/...42860874260480
                Rabin-esque
                my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

The instrumental version of "Falling" still gives me goosebumps, but Julee's ethereal vocals take it to a whole other level. May she rest in peace.
                  Jeff Tiberius Grey Wolf
                  My hovercraft is full of eels

Comment

Working...
                  X