Morbidly Obese...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morbidly Obese...

Weighed myself for the first time in nearly two years this afternoon.
    Just over 19st.
    120kg
    260lbs

I should be dead, and probably will be.
    It does explain why I've a bunch of clothes I can't wear anymore. I can be buried with them...
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

But are you 4'6" or 6'4" tall?

I'm short for my weight...

Comment

6' 1"

6st heavier than I was 3 or 4 years ago. History of heart disease in the family. I'm 63 in July. A heart attack waiting to happen.

Comment

Make the move to a healthier lifestyle starts today. Baby steps everything helps. Have a cheat day is what many folks tell me. I bought a Ninja smoothie machine and it certainly helps with my hunger when I go to work at a grocery store. Having sex everyday should work wonders, so I am always sure to blame my wife when I see my cardiologist yearly. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post
          Make the move to a healthier lifestyle starts today. Baby steps everything helps. Have a cheat day is what many folks tell me. I bought a Ninja smoothie machine and it certainly helps with my hunger when I go to work at a grocery store. Having sex everyday should work wonders, so I am always sure to blame my wife when I see my cardiologist yearly. ;-)
          Hard going outside since losing my job last August. I work out at home, but that's not cardio or calorie-burning, just weights, Pilates and stretching.
          I'm single and contentedly unattached. Not had sex in 20 years. I don't actually miss it. I don't think I ever had much of a libido. Possibly that's an autism-related thing.
          What I need is a job that gets me active again. Waiting on a couple of applications.

Comment

Positive thoughts your way. Good luck on the job applications and interviews.

I'm cold at work, usually working in refrigeration areas and freezers, so not much activity outside during the winter for me. I am getting ready to grill some lamb outside shortly, though.

When you get a certain age, and the wife isn't cooperative, or no wife, It's always easy to put some pounds on. Metabolism slows down. Weights are a great exercise.

Most women love me ( Women are very comfortable around me, and I'm quite the flirt) , or run away screaming, but having a seventeen year old daughter at home, a not so great ticker anymore, and an active job, it wouldn't look that good, and I am tired working six days a week. I just want to go home and rest for the next day of work. My daughter is looking at six years of University, so it's cheaper to stay with my insane wife, who has control issues, who at least cooks, and does the laundry. She doesn't like anything I do at home. I married a quiet, shy woman just to have a child. She didn't stay that way very long. ;-) LOL

Comment

You might want to add intermittent fasting to your regimen, if you haven't already. I've found it to be more useful for weight loss than exercise.

Comment

Now am in the 60 club. Had a decent overall checkup last year when in hospital for an infection thought to be covid. So had ultrasounds,xrays, heart, lungs etc. All fine. Did not have covid. Gave up smoking about 10 years ago. Was over the coughing, sore throat etc. Also brother in law died of lung cancer aged 55. Scared me straight.

Always been athletic, skinny, long distance runner. Footballer. Rugby. No knee issues thankfully. Also don't drink as much wine. Once a week. Habitual. Any more would be a slippery slope. But not giving a week ending wine up. Life is for enjoying. Moderation is key.

My sisters and adult niece have all been on diet shake diets with mostly vegetarian meals. Have lost over 20 kgs each. That's 10 two litre milk containers. Which are heavy suckers. Physically shadows of themselves but avoiding diabetes issues etc.

Now walking is my jam. Everyday. And occasionally a long hike with my son along the riverbank to the south of our suburb. A tidal river home to a diverse range of birdlife. Cormorants. Ibis. Plovers. Kookaburras. Etc.
                Nothing beats that feeling of sore legs and deep sleep that follows.

Comment

I was a runner for 30 years until 2019, and a gym-goer 3x a week. Not a chance of running now, not at this weight.

Comment

2022 is my 35th year of running, and I weigh 169 lbs., but I also am having heart issues. My heart, valves, and blood vessels are in great shape, but I have a very irregular heartbeat. Because of my low heart rate (46 beats per minute) they can’t address my problem with drugs. I had a cardioversion last week, but rhythm is still off. They told me that I may be a candidate for a pacemaker. I’m still able to run, but must take blood thinners twice each day to prevent stroke. My point is that heart problems can happen to anyone. Schedule checkups regularly, and adjust your lifestyle in sustainable ways. Reducing carbohydrates is a great way to lose weight. My blood sugar numbers were creeping up last year, and I cut carbs back to under 100 grams per day, and lost 20 lbs. over a six month period. Good luck addressing your problems. With 30 years of running behind you, you know you have the discipline and ability to establish and achieve your goals. I wish you well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roundabob View Post
                      2022 is my 35th year of running, and I weigh 169 lbs., but I also am having heart issues. My heart, valves, and blood vessels are in great shape, but I have a very irregular heartbeat. Because of my low heart rate (46 beats per minute) they can’t address my problem with drugs. I had a cardioversion last week, but rhythm is still off. They told me that I may be a candidate for a pacemaker. I’m still able to run, but must take blood thinners twice each day to prevent stroke. My point is that heart problems can happen to anyone. Schedule checkups regularly, and adjust your lifestyle in sustainable ways. Reducing carbohydrates is a great way to lose weight. My blood sugar numbers were creeping up last year, and I cut carbs back to under 100 grams per day, and lost 20 lbs. over a six month period. Good luck addressing your problems. With 30 years of running behind you, you know you have the discipline and ability to establish and achieve your goals. I wish you well.
                      Danish footballer Christian Eriksen has recently had a pacemaker fitted after collapsing with a cardiac arrest last year in a World Cup game. He's fully recovered and has just signed for Premier League side Brentford. So it works for elite athletes, shouldn't be a problem for the rest of us.
                      You're right about the carbs, and I need to educate myself away from loading up the plate with comfort carbs. Smaller plates...?

Good running!
                      How old are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

I’m 65. It’s encouraging to hear that the footballer can continue playing after the pacemaker was inserted. My biggest problem with this has been the anxiety of worrying about it. You are doing the right thing to step up and do something about your condition before you experience a cardiac event. I did cut my serving sizes back when I started monitoring carbs. When I cook pasta dishes or a stir fry, I use the pasta or rice as a garnish rather than serving those dishes over a bed of starchy goodness. I also had to give up scones for breakfast, and substantially cut back on the tasty ales that I love so much. It hasn’t been easy, but it’s not impossible. I still can enjoy most foods and drinks, but I limit the serving size, and count carbs in everything I eat and drink.

Comment

Well. Forget those Big Mac jokes I was making in the other thread! You are tall - you can carry over 200+ easy and be healthy. I bet with just small changes at
                          a time - you knock off a few pounds, or kilos lol. Just with some better habits. I am by no means a health expert or fitness expert and I certainly should be in better shape - BUT - I say set small goals, stick to em. Then another and another .....etc etc.

i started giving up small things over last few years - like stopped sugar in coffee, stopped putting salt and stuck with pepper, more salads, no bags of chips around - bunches of bananas instead, don’t buy candy - buy strawberries......... I should exercise more! And get out- exactly like you told us you were doing walking around.

I am sure you can do anything you put your mind too - 👍👍👍👍😊👍👍👍. And let is know about those apps.

Dont stress - vent here!!!!!!

Maybe a pro in here can give pro advice too!

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                            I was a runner for 30 years until 2019, and a gym-goer 3x a week. Not a chance of running now, not at this weight.
                            I'm the same height as you and only slightly lighter. I didn't start running till I was nearly fifty, five years ago. I do Parkruns most Saturdays, maybe a couple of 5km runs midweek and I've got a couple of 10k events lined up for this spring - Dewsbury and Northallerton.

If you'd said I could run for 5km ten years ago, I'd have laughed it off. If there's a Parkrun near you I'd highly recommend it, most events are very welcoming and there is no pressure - a regular at our event walks it most weeks in about an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post

I'm the same height as you and only slightly lighter. I didn't start running till I was nearly fifty, five years ago. I do Parkruns most Saturdays, maybe a couple of 5km runs midweek and I've got a couple of 10k events lined up for this spring - Dewsbury and Northallerton.

If you'd said I could run for 5km ten years ago, I'd have laughed it off. If there's a Parkrun near you I'd highly recommend it, most events are very welcoming and there is no pressure - a regular at our event walks it most weeks in about an hour.
                              I've done a few Parkruns, back in 2016/7, did some course marshalling as well. My nearest gets very busy, with 350 turning up not unusual. Narrow paths too. Got my heels clipped a couple of times by people running with pushchairs, and tripped by dogleads (dog attached).
                              I'll maybe give a go again, but I'm not good with so large a group doing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X