Mini-Stroke or jaw dislocation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini-Stroke or jaw dislocation?

Just had one of the most terrible nights of my life. Sick with worry. My 25 year old son came home from his construction job, he's strong and fit. He had a shower like normal, took his dinner into his room with his computer. Next I heard some strange noises. Bangs.

Mrs Goodness and I went in to see him prone on his futon mattress on the floor. Dazed and confused. He seems disorientated. Seemed on drugs. Slurrin' words.
    He had spilled his dinner and glass of water. He had no idea what had happened. Couldn't remember anythin'.
    He has no history of faintin'. Hardly drinks. Never smokes. Plays basketball.

After 20 or so minutes he sat down and seemed like his old self. He had just remembered that his jaw got all numb. Suddenly. He googled symptoms and they were like havin'a mini-stroke. Blood cut off to the brain. Can happen to young people.

He went to ER and had a CT scan for any damage. Covid protocols meant he was by himself. I was sick with worry and rang the ER at 5am this mornin'. They were waitin'on a doctor to do follow up heart tests.
    Thankfully Sam rang to say the CT scan was clear and in fact they believe his jaw temporarily dislocated and caused him to faint. A combination of stress, muscles and arteries. Am so relieved. In an exhausted state of relief all mornin'. He's home and sleepin' with his loud snore that is glorious to hear.

Anyhoo. Just wanted to share somethin' I had no idea about. Strokes as well. What to look for. They say go straight to hospital if you have had a mini-stroke as it often signals a bigger stroke to come within 24 hours. Watch your diets. Control cholesterol.

Life is so precious.

Glad your son is okay. Kind of you to share this with others to caution about strokes. I was diagnosed with atrial flutter a few months ago, and ultimately had to have an ablation procedure. Strokes are the big risk for people with atrial flutter or with atrial fibrillation. I was on blood thinners for several months, but am off of them now. I also had to severely reduce my beer and wine indulgences. That has been brutal.

Strokes are deadly and disabling. Your advice to get immediate medical attention is spot on. Minutes matter in treating strokes. Best wishes to you and your son.

Comment

Very happy to hear all is well with your son. Scary moment(s) for sure.

Comment

Thanks guys. He is fine. Wolfin' down 1/4pounders as I type. Hope it's just a one off. Wish I knew more about all this before. Glad he was proactive.

Good luck Roundabob.

Comment

Glad to hear your son is oke. I fully understand the worry you went through.

Comment

What a worrying experience for you and your son. Really relieved to read that all was okay in the end.

Comment

I'm glad that all ended well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                Just had one of the most terrible nights of my life. Sick with worry. My 25 year old son came home from his construction job, he's strong and fit. He had a shower like normal, took his dinner into his room with his computer. Next I heard some strange noises. Bangs.

Mrs Goodness and I went in to see him prone on his futon mattress on the floor. Dazed and confused. He seems disorientated. Seemed on drugs. Slurrin' words.
                He had spilled his dinner and glass of water. He had no idea what had happened. Couldn't remember anythin'.
                He has no history of faintin'. Hardly drinks. Never smokes. Plays basketball.

After 20 or so minutes he sat down and seemed like his old self. He had just remembered that his jaw got all numb. Suddenly. He googled symptoms and they were like havin'a mini-stroke. Blood cut off to the brain. Can happen to young people.

He went to ER and had a CT scan for any damage. Covid protocols meant he was by himself. I was sick with worry and rang the ER at 5am this mornin'. They were waitin'on a doctor to do follow up heart tests.
                Thankfully Sam rang to say the CT scan was clear and in fact they believe his jaw temporarily dislocated and caused him to faint. A combination of stress, muscles and arteries. Am so relieved. In an exhausted state of relief all mornin'. He's home and sleepin' with his loud snore that is glorious to hear.

Anyhoo. Just wanted to share somethin' I had no idea about. Strokes as well. What to look for. They say go straight to hospital if you have had a mini-stroke as it often signals a bigger stroke to come within 24 hours. Watch your diets. Control cholesterol.

Life is so precious.
                im very sorry to hear that, as someone who has epilepsy and suffered with seizures in the past, and continues to feel some loss of control at times, it is always a concern and I understand your plight- strokes are very worrying. Hope he stays well!
                The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Hello GG and so happy to read that your son did not have a stroke! Like soundchaser09 I have also had seizures and that was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. For the record if someone is having a stroke get to the nearest hospital ASAP because time is key and the longer you go without medical attention the more damage there could be. Jaw dislocation is an interesting diagnosis for sure and I'm super glad that's all it turned out to be, and no doubt a little rest and relaxation will help him through that. Good job dad!

Comment

I wonder if he fell and then dislocated his jaw or dislocated his jaw first and then fell.

Comment

AFAIK he said his jaw felt numb and he had no control of it. He had memory loss for about 20 minutes. He was alone so can't be 100% sure of course. He slipped off his chair straight onto a futon fortunately. His jaw is fine. Eatin' well.

Doctors believe it was a seated syncope episode. Due to jaw lockin'.
                      Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 08-17-2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X