Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your least favorite song on a classic album from any genre of music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your least favorite song on a classic album from any genre of music?

The Chamber Of 32 Doors (The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway)

It's a really weird song, even for The Lamb. I have just never liked it. It drags a bit and just seems to hang in space.
    it. is still my favorite Genesis album.

I'll pick a song from a classic Yes album - Cans and Brahms. This is what you get when Rick phones it in. He had the perfect space to do something special and he gave us this clunker. I get the whole solo artist deal but could he have not done something with the rest of the band to get around that like some of the other "solo" songs on Fragile? Where is that damn skip button....

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
      I'll pick a song from a classic Yes album - Cans and Brahms. This is what you get when Rick phones it in. He had the perfect space to do something special and he gave us this clunker. I get the whole solo artist deal but could he have not done something with the rest of the band to get around that like some of the other "solo" songs on Fragile? Where is that damn skip button....
      I believe Rick was contractually A&M-ed from releasing anything that was related to Six Wives, so he whipped up Cans And...

I thought I had heard this, possibly from the book Yesstories.
      I was right.

From wiki:

"Cans and Brahms" is Wakeman's adaptation of the third movement of Symphony No. 4 in E minor by Johannes Brahms, with an electric piano used for the string section, grand piano for the woodwinds, organ for the brass, electric harpsichord for reeds, and synthesizer as contrabassoon. Wakeman later described "Cans and Brahms" as "dreadful", as contractual problems with A&M Records, with whom he was signed as a solo artist, prevented him from writing a composition of his own.

Comment

Misty Mountain Hop, in spite of its literary references, the music never grew on me. A bit juvenile, without it Zep 4 would have been perfect, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Yesed View Post
          Misty Mountain Hop, in spite of its literary references, the music never grew on me. A bit juvenile, without it Zep 4 would have been perfect, imo.
          Sticking with Zeppelin, D'yer Mak'er always kinda grated on me. A bit annoying. It happens to be on my favourite Zep album, though. Houses Of The Holy.

P.S. I like Misty Mountain Hop!

Comment

Out of all the albums I have ever owned, 'The Crunge' has always been the worst song. 'House of the Holy' is still a great album though.

The Worst album by a classic band would have to be the 'Ummaguma' studio album. It makes 'Mardi Gras' sound great.

Comment

DRAMA
              "Man In a White Car"

The track always felt like some sort of leftover or unfinished idea.

Comment

Originally posted by cjreyes View Post

Sticking with Zeppelin, D'yer Mak'er always kinda grated on me. A bit annoying. It happens to be on my favourite Zep album, though. Houses Of The Holy.

P.S. I like Misty Mountain Hop!
                D’ M’ is a close second to MMH for me. Has the same problems, I could live without it on the album. Could be that it got way overplayed on classic rock radio in the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritual Architect View Post
                  Out of all the albums I have ever owned, 'The Crunge' has always been the worst song. 'House of the Holy' is still a great album though.

The Worst album by a classic band would have to be the 'Ummaguma' studio album. It makes 'Mardi Gras' sound great.
                  I originally felt that way, but have come to appreciate its musical cleverness. Interesting time changes, where’s that confounded bridge to the chorus. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
                    DRAMA
                    "Man In a White Car"

But the eerie keys at the end always make me listen to the end, great song hook.

Comment

Back to Genesis, I'll have to go with 'I Can't Dance'. The rest of the album is ok to excellent, but jeez, that one song. But I first heard the album when it first came out in 1991 before anything was overplayed. I remember walking into a Sam Goody record shop in the mall in Annapolis and hearing them playing the album - 'Driving The Last Spike'. I thought, cool. Long dramatic track with the keyboard chords and all. Genesis as usual. Then came 'I Can't Dance'. Immediately I thought "lesser track, album cut". Certainly a B-side at best. Then the damn thing became their like biggest hit - probably playing this very instant on the PA muzak system at Walmart, and at the hair salon, and at the chiropractors office, and at the grocery store, and at McDonald's, and at.....

How did that throwaway track become the big, big hit? Other than overexposure issues, I don't have a major problem with 'pop' Genesis, those albums still have a lot of very Genesisy moments. But I Can't Dance. Sheesh. I kinda did like the dance remix (called the 'Sex Mix' on a CD single), that should have been the official version. At least then they could have danced.

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
                        DRAMA
                        "Man In a White Car"

Originally posted by Yesed View Post

But the eerie keys at the end always make me listen to the end, great song hook.
                        I like Man in a White Car.
                        I also like that it is so short. It drifts into your head, turns around, and then drifts right back out again. (It's not there long enough for me to have time to start disliking it!)

Comment

Yellow Submarine on Revolver, closely followed by Octopus's Garden on Abbey Road.
                          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Treading on sacred ground here but...

The Beatles Abby Road- Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Just atrocious from start to end

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post
                              Treading on sacred ground here but...

The Beatles Abby Road- Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Just atrocious from start to end
                              You're not alone in that opinion, even though I don't share it. Pull up any list of "Worst Beatles Tracks", and MSH will be on it.

Personally I think people are frothing at the mouth to find critical things to say about Beatles tracks. And they had some pretty duff tracks, although certainly not as many as some other bands and artists.

It's certainly an oddity. When I first heard it though I marvelled at its construction . . . the arrangement of backing vocals, counterpoint dual guitar lines, and the synth. Even the intros to verses two and three are pretty clever.

Comment

Working...
                              X