Where are the cooks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are the cooks?

Click image for larger version  Name:	4F63C1C5-8A96-4361-A2B8-25D1C53E7654.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	8877

I was a professional chef for years. I had to switch careers because of chronic illness. I mean, I wholly enjoyed being an estate planning paralegal after that, but…😞

Husband says that it doesn’t matter that I had to quit “back of house”, and that a chef will forever be a chef. I rather like his optimism, as somehow I get a bit sad that I can no longer toss around 50-pound bags of flour as if they were nothing. 😜 So, I am now a home cook, and it ain’t a bad gig at all!

I know that Ash Armstrong is a wonderful cook (and he enjoys cigars, too—mad props to him!) Where are the rest of you?

Above is Da Man, about to dig into a blueberry-orange muffin I baked this afternoon. It’s 76° F. here in central PA, so I thought I’d bake something that felt like springtime…or, at least, like low grade summer.
    Last edited by Imperatrix; 03-06-2022, 10:49 AM.
    Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

While certainly not a professional (or even especially good), I was coincidentally also baking blueberry muffins this morning, with cornmeal and lime. Also a nice chicken stew for the week, and an orange ginger yam soup.

Comment

I warmed some milk in a microwave oven recently. Does that count?
      Last edited by PhaseDance; 03-06-2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I don't do baking. Mainly because I've never tried. I should have a go. Some simple stuff. I did the occasional Victoria sponge in school cookery classes but that was 50 years ago. And cheese scones, I remember making those.

I'm up for a suggestion or two, as long as it's simple...and I'll need instructions of some sort, and ideally measurements in metric units.
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
          While certainly not a professional (or even especially good), I was coincidentally also baking blueberry muffins this morning, with cornmeal and lime. Also a nice chicken stew for the week, and an orange ginger yam soup.
          Oh, you’re good—I can tell. I love the cornmeal-lime combination in tandem with the blueberries, and the soup sounds so good.

Please tell more about your chicken stew!

Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by PhaseDance View Post
            I warmed some milk in a microwave oven recently. Does that count?
            Listen, doll, if it didn’t get all over the inside (and possibly outside) of the nuker, then it absolutely counts. Holla!

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
              I don't do baking. Mainly because I've never tried. I should have a go. Some simple stuff. I did the occasional Victoria sponge in school cookery classes but that was 50 years ago. And cheese scones, I remember making those.

I'm up for a suggestion or two, as long as it's simple...and I'll need instructions of some sort, and ideally measurements in metric units.
              It’s said that baking is an exact science. Some may argue the point and claim that it isn’t, but when I was baking in restaurants, I always found it to be so. For some, that idea is intimidating. I used to be terrified of it, but with practice (natch) it becomes easier and lots of fun.

Most times I’ll convert to metric for baking, though I’m a Yank. Metric is far more precise…and, when it comes to baking, _weighing_ all ingredients is key. If you don’t have a digital kitchen scale, there are many inexpensive ones available.

Here’s a fun bread recipe that took the world by storm when everyone wanted to bake their own bread a couple of years ago. Note: “all-purpose flour” is also known as “plain flour”.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...e-bread-recipe
              Last edited by Imperatrix; 03-06-2022, 03:14 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperatrix View Post

It’s said that baking is an exact science. Some may argue the point and claim that it isn’t, but when I was baking in restaurants, I always found it to be so. For some, that idea is intimidating. I used to be terrified of it, but with practice (natch) it becomes easier and lots of fun.

Most times I’ll convert to metric for baking, though I’m a Yank. Metric is far more precise…and, when it comes to baking, _weighing_ all ingredients is key. If you don’t have a scale, there are many inexpensive ones available.

Here’s a fun bread recipe that took the world by storm when everyone wanted to bake their own bread a couple of years ago. Note: “all-purpose flour” is also known as “plain flour”.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...e-bread-recipe
                I'll need to get some kitchen scales and a measuring jug...
                Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Don't make me share my famous toast recipe, again. ;-) ( Tasia proceeds to choke Rob, violently )

Of course I am a good/great cook. If you eat, you should know how to cook well. It also surprises me, well not really anymore, just how poor some folks have it with proper pots and pans, cookware, knives, and even place settings. That is why these same folks share shitty restaurant recommendations.

However, my wife has become increasingly insane over the years. She also has extreme control issues which is more than any man needs to put up with esp. in the kitchen.

So, since the pandemic started I was offered a good/great deal on anything I wanted at my customer's outdoor store. I bought a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center ( different name now ). Basically Weber's version of a Kamado style grill and smoker in one, and it's portable, in and out of the garage. With a lot of practice and the right tools, I can say that now I am usually an expert in slow cooks, and anything grilled. Even the wife doesn't complain half the time now.
                  https://photos.app.goo.gl/NWDTsZAMyz24oe829
                  https://photos.app.goo.gl/YyWy9Ca7vyV5z3sg9

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post
                    Don't make me share my famous toast recipe, again. ;-) ( Tasia proceeds to choke Rob, violently )
                    😂😂😂 I forgot about that, though I think—THINK—I remember your wife’s tiết canh. Or did I dream it?

Of course I am a good/great cook. If you eat, you should know how to cook well. It also surprises me, well not really anymore, just how poor some folks have it with proper pots and pans, cookware, knives, and even place settings. That is why these same folks share shitty restaurant recommendations.

However, my wife has become increasingly insane over the years. She also has extreme control issues which is more than any man needs to put up with esp. in the kitchen.

So, since the pandemic started I was offered a good/great deal on anything I wanted at my customer's outdoor store. I bought a Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center ( different name now ). Basically Weber's version of a Kamado style grill and smoker in one, and it's portable, in and out of the garage. With a lot of practice and the right tools, I can say that now I am usually an expert in slow cooks, and anything grilled. Even the wife doesn't complain half the time now.
                    https://photos.app.goo.gl/NWDTsZAMyz24oe829
                    https://photos.app.goo.gl/YyWy9Ca7vyV5z3sg9
                    Gorgeous shots! 😍 I’d love a grill/smoker setup, but…fixed income. Whaddaya gonna do, right? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Comment

Originally posted by Imperatrix View Post

Oh, you’re good—I can tell. I love the cornmeal-lime combination in tandem with the blueberries, and the soup sounds so good.

Please tell more about your chicken stew!
                      I can’t even remember where I got it from, but basically chicken, onions, mushrooms, and potatoes in a liquid of salsa verde/puréed poblano peppers and stock, with some lime thrown in for good measure. Cilantro & cheese on top, keeps the family happy and full!

Comment

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q4JRwB9aBn3zdqbZ6
                        https://photos.app.goo.gl/ks8t6nPgLqU5zzcS8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HnXrke9feBWcmZ1B8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/etR1msWG3t2N1NgJ7

.https://photos.app.goo.gl/43EKg7eUo9wJksRe7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sQQJ5FVDLYWZB65G7

.https://photos.app.goo.gl/wusu8hnxn5LEdEFn6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m25Nv17N1eB3j2Bc6

Here's a few more pics of my meat, and salmon. Lamb marinated on the grill is about my favorite. Gets me out of the house, and away from the Mrs. I use a Fire board 2 Drive, which has certainly made everything easier keeping an eye on temp.s, from in the house, or sitting inside, and it keeps the temperature steady. No more missed sleep, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post

I can’t even remember where I got it from, but basically chicken, onions, mushrooms, and potatoes in a liquid of salsa verde/puréed poblano peppers and stock, with some lime thrown in for good measure. Cilantro & cheese on top, keeps the family happy and full!
                          This sounds delicious. Thanks for elaborating!

Comment

I cook mostly for myself these days: adequate but tasty (IMO 🙂). I do a good line in frittatas and do a mean spaghetti carbonara (both quick and easy). I like ratatouille too. My top tip for that is to sautee the onions and peppers almost to a jam and to steam the aubergine (egg plant) first as it cooks softer and quicker and absorbs less oil. Using a few anchovies for seasoning isn't classic (and obviously not for veggies and vegans) but adds another dimensions of umami flavouring.
                            Last edited by ragtime; 03-06-2022, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post

Here's a few more pics of my meat, and salmon. Lamb marinated on the grill is about my favorite. Gets me out of the house, and away from the Mrs. I use a Fire board 2 Drive, which has certainly made everything easier keeping an eye on temp.s, from in the house, or sitting inside, and it keeps the temperature steady. No more missed sleep, either.
                              I’ll viciously stomp down any possible dirty thoughts in the matter of your first eight words, and just say that you’re a freakin’ golden boy, old friend! Beautiful!

I’d like to look into the Fireboard 2 Drive, if we are ever able to get a setup like yours. I just checked out the site.

Comment

Working...
                              X