To Cook is to Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Cook is to Live

Used my pestle and mortar/mortar and pestle for the first time. Ground up some cardomons, cloves, fenugreek seeds, dried chillis, garlic, with sea-salt and black pepper, with a spray of olive oil. Mashed up into a satisfying paste.

Chilli is cooking! An onion, a red sweet pepper, half a courgette, some mushrooms (all coarse chopped), lean steak mince, kidney beans (of course!), tin of chopped tomatoes, a few herbs and a teaspoon of Cajun paste.
    And the secret ingredient..... Shhhh

A bottle of wine has been opened, a cigar from my humidor for later (Nicaraguan), Season 6, episode 1 of The Expanse set up!

Saturday night special!
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Ha. You're a legend. I just buy ready-made jar sauces.
    My son is into cooking. Buys special knives, cast iron pans, accessories, youtube tutorials guide him. Told him how to make a simple roux except forgot to tell him to do it it on low heat.

Enjoy watching Rick Stein cook.

Bon appetit. Now off to the shops to buy bag of pre cut praities to roast a chook with. Also prepared Hollandaise sauce in a satchel.
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 12-11-2021, 08:43 PM.

Comment

One of those times you go to the fridge for something and come away with another piece of cheese, having quite forgotten the reason for going to the fridge in the first place...
      That's the power of cheese for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
        Used my pestle and mortar/mortar and pestle for the first time. Ground up some cardomons, cloves, fenugreek seeds, dried chillis, garlic, with sea-salt and black pepper, with a spray of olive oil. Mashed up into a satisfying paste.

Chilli is cooking! An onion, a red sweet pepper, half a courgette, some mushrooms (all coarse chopped), lean steak mince, kidney beans (of course!), tin of chopped tomatoes, a few herbs and a teaspoon of Cajun paste.
        And the secret ingredient..... Shhhh

A bottle of wine has been opened, a cigar from my humidor for later (Nicaraguan), Season 6, episode 1 of The Expanse set up!

Saturday night special!
        THIS is a beautiful, beautiful thing—not just your chili, but everything!

I miss cigars.

My husband is cooking tonight. We both have chronic conditions, so when one of us is feeling poorly, the other will cook and do the household tasks, and it’s my turn to feel as if I’ve been hit by a bus. I believe he’s making a dinner omelette with mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers, Jarlsberg cheese (perhaps Gruyère), and perhaps some of my freshly-baked bread. He might opt for an “everything” bagel, though.

Tomorrow (provided I feel better), I’ll make gyoza and tsukemono, plus a salad with honey-miso dressing. I know that it sounds odd to have gyoza as a main dish, but Geoff enjoys/eats them almost as fast as I can fill, shape, and pan-fry them, so why not, right? 😜
        Last edited by Imperatrix; 03-05-2022, 02:15 PM.
        Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

A spritz of olive oil in a hot pan with some fenugreek seeds, an onion, 3 cloves of garlic, a green pepper, a sliced courgette, 1 carrot, chopped mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn, chick peas, chopped celery, chopped tomatoes, basil, marjoram, pinch of smoked paprika, lashings of black pepper (freshly-milled of course), sea-salt (also freshly-milled), 2 bayleafs (bayleaves? leaves of bay x2?), herbs Provencale, tomato puree, tablespoon of natural yoghurt, splash of Balsamic vinegar. Simmered gently, 30 minutes covered, 10 uncovered. Basmati rice.
          I amaze myself sometimes.

Comment

Wow! I've never been able to just throw stuff together; I'm a functional cook, I can follow a recipe and make things from scratch, but I usually keep it very simple. Friday night I made tacos and refried black beans with fresh guacamole. Nothing fancy, but I was happy to eat it!
            Rabin-esque
            my labor of love (and obsessive research)
            rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

A spritz of olive oil in a hot pan with some fenugreek seeds, an onion, 3 cloves of garlic, a green pepper, a sliced courgette, 1 carrot, chopped mushrooms, peas, sweetcorn, chick peas, chopped celery, chopped tomatoes, basil, marjoram, pinch of smoked paprika, lashings of black pepper (freshly-milled of course), sea-salt (also freshly-milled), 2 bayleafs (bayleaves? leaves of bay x2?), herbs Provencale, tomato puree, tablespoon of natural yoghurt, splash of Balsamic vinegar. Simmered gently, 30 minutes covered, 10 uncovered. Basmati rice.
              3:18am here. And now you’ve got me Starvin !!!!! 😆😆😆. You’re Killing me ..........lol. I may have to head out in a couple hours first thing and hit a good ole NJ Diner........

Comment

Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

3:18am here. And now you’ve got me Starvin !!!!! 😆😆😆. You’re Killing me ..........lol. I may have to head out in a couple hours first thing and hit a good ole NJ Diner........
                Meet up with Jerry, George and Kramer and have a pastrami bagel with Philly cheese. Gherkin. And stewed coffee. Then kvetch about life 😉

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

Meet up with Jerry, George and Kramer and have a pastrami bagel with Philly cheese. Gherkin. And stewed coffee. Then kvetch about life 😉
                  I decided not to go. 😉. Ash’s food looked so good that I’d surely have been disappointed going out today 😂.

Comment

Now I want to hop a plane. 😍
                    Memorare, O piissima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego tali animatus confidentia, ad te, Virgo Virginum, Mater, curro, ad te venio, coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere; sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
                      Wow! I've never been able to just throw stuff together; I'm a functional cook, I can follow a recipe and make things from scratch, but I usually keep it very simple. Friday night I made tacos and refried black beans with fresh guacamole. Nothing fancy, but I was happy to eat it!
                      Yum! Black beans are so, so good. I made two batches of black bean soup last week, and I can’t stop eating it.

Comment

No, it's not really cooking as such, but hey, it's Saturday brunch and I'm watching the footie: poached eggs and curried beans on wholemeal toast, washed down with a bucket of tea (Earl Grey).

Comment

Vegetable curry proved to be a cracker. Most satisfying.
                          Onion, garlic, carrot, chick-peas, celery, courgette, sweet pepper, butternut squash, basmati rice.
                          😋😋

Comment

My girlfriend who is Asian will love this. Thanks for posting. Cooking is a wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperatrix View Post

THIS is a beautiful, beautiful thing—not just your chili, but everything!

I miss cigars.

My husband is cooking tonight. We both have chronic conditions, so when one of us is feeling poorly, the other will cook and do the household tasks, and it’s my turn to feel as if I’ve been hit by a bus. I believe he’s making a dinner omelette with mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers, Jarlsberg cheese (perhaps Gruyère), and perhaps some of my freshly-baked bread. He might opt for an “everything” bagel, though.

Tomorrow (provided I feel better), I’ll make gyoza and tsukemono, plus a salad with honey-miso dressing. I know that it sounds odd to have gyoza as a main dish, but Geoff enjoys/eats them almost as fast as I can fill, shape, and pan-fry them, so why not, right? 😜
                              I make a drink consisting of blueberries or strawberries that I mix in a food processor along with grape and or orange juice every morning. I add a teaspoon of turmeric. I also add fresh beets to this concoction. I have been doing this for 12 years and feel fantastic. Turmeric is an anti inflammatory. You do not want to use more than a teaspoon as you will then have to make many trips to the can

But I started this 12 years ago along with 2 fish oil vitamins every day and I feel fantastic. This is what I make first thing every morning as I am doing right now at 6:15 AM on the Pacific Coast.

The results are not instantaneous. You must do it every day but you will see the results in time.

This mixed concoction is also great for boosting your immune system.

Comment

Working...
                              X