Currently Reading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently Reading...

I've just finished Ben Aaronovitch's The Hanging Tree, the 6th novel in his Rivers of London series.
    STill dipping in and out of The History of Jazz by Ted Gioia, a hefty tome.
    Next novel is Corpses in Enderby by George Bellaire, published in 1956 and out of print for many years. Enderby is a village a few miles outside Leicester, and by a tragic irony the location of two murders in the early 1980s, two young girls. The killer was eventually identified by the first application of DNA fingerprinting, discovered by Professor Sir Alec Jefferies at the University of Leicester. A fascinating story, albeit a grim one, in itself.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

I finished Corpses of Enderby Saturday night. Published in 1956, it's populated by a cast of comically-grotesque characters. Good fun.

Next novel is Emile Zola's His Excellency Eugene Rougon, the sixth novel in the Rougon-Macquart series. It was published in 1876.

Also reading Janis Ian's autobiography, Society's Child, which is terrific.
    Last edited by Ash Armstrong; 11-29-2021, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Enjoy Sci-Fi. Currently reading The Lazarus Effect, Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom.

Comment

Gotta be cosy murder for me. Just picked up Richard Osman's "The Thursday Murder Club". Tall dude who wittily presents Pointless on telly with Alexander Armstrong. Set in a care home. Bunch of old codgers solving a crime. Sposed to be very funny. Will pass it around to my sisters.

Waiting for the next Jane Harper mystery novel.

ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
          Also reading Janis Ian's autobiography, Society's Child, which is terrific.
          I listened to the audiobook of that one (read by Janis) several years ago, it is really great.

Right now I'm reading Kali Wallace's Salvation Day (sci-fi horror/thriller set in space) and Peter Biskind's Down and Dirty Pictures (the sequel-of-sorts to Easy Riders, Raging Bulls).
          Rabin-esque
          my labor of love (and obsessive research)
          rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

William Morris "The Well at the Worlds End".

Comment

Just started Andrew Cartmel's Victory Disc, book 3 in The Vinyl Detective series. Easy read, but brightens the dark winter days.

Slightly less bright, Ruth Rendell's End in Tears on audible and Anthem by Ayn Rand.

Comment

I've been watching the 3-part series on Sky Arts, which concluded last night, a Wordsworth and Coleridge Road Trip with Frank Skinner and Denise Mina. Wonderful! It's sent me back to reading their poetry again.

Comment

Reading a little Dorothy Wordsworth, the Grasmere Journal, while the Grateful Dead play to me....

Comment

Had signed copies of "Another Now" by Yanis Varoufakis and "Unrequited Infatuations" by Miami Steve Van Zandt for Christmas.

Feeling neither overly political nor particularly rock and roll this Christmas Day, I'll start on one of them tomorrow !

Comment

I finished reading Émile Zola's His Excellency Éugene Rougon last night.
                      Next up, by way of contrast, is another Jasper Fforde (Raymond Chandler meets Lewis Carroll...), The Big Over Easy (2005).
                      🥚🍳

Comment

I finished reading Émile Zola's His Excellency Éugene Rougon last night.
                        Next up, by way of contrast, is another Jasper Fforde (Raymond Chandler meets Lewis Carroll...), The Big Over Easy (2005).
                        🥚🍳
                        Hey, Zola is a great read, I enjoyed His Excellency Éugene Rougon. Just now I read The Masterpiece. You probably know also "Money", anyway would recommend that as well, contains everything you need to knowe about greed and speculation. But there are so much great works by Zola.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCologne View Post

Hey, Zola is a great read, I enjoyed His Excellency Éugene Rougon. Just now I read The Masterpiece. You probably know also "Money", anyway would recommend that as well, contains everything you need to knowe about greed and speculation. But there are so much great works by Zola.
                          I read Money a few months ago.
                          All of the Rougon Macquart novels have recently been published by Oxford World's Classics series in new English translations, and I have them all. I'm following a recommended reading order from the Reading Zola website.
                          I read three or four of them in older translations from my local public library in the 1980s and loved them.

Comment

I read Money a few months ago.
                            All of the Rougon Macquart novels have recently been published by Oxford World's Classics series in new English translations, and I have them all. I'm following a recommended reading order from the Reading Zola website.
                            I read three or four of them in older translations from my local public library in the 1980s and loved them.
                            It's a mixed bag in german, most you get in new translations, but some date even back to 1892. Besides many other things I like how Zola scans all parts and even the darkest an poorest corners of society and how he varies the moods. I admire the visionary and also lighter Paradise Of Ladies as much as the ultra-shocking and brutal Germinal.

I also love Balzac.

Comment

Scrublands by Chris Hammer.

A priest opens fire and kills 5 members of the congregation and himself. Why? Mystery novel set in the dry Riverina of New South Wales.

This ain't no cosy murder mystery.

(Stuck in iso, snacking on spam)

Comment

Working...
                              X