London bridge is down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London bridge is down

Queen Elizabeth has died. Long live the King.

It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with The Firm now that Charles is in charge, and that's coming from an American who could generally care less about the topic. Say what you want about The House of Windsor but it seems to me that QE2 was an amazingly steadfast and consistent leader, and there will never be another person like her (not even close is my guess).

R.I.P. Lizzy

Comment

The queen is dead. Long live the king. Queen Elizabeth has been a fixture in our lives for seven decades. She wore the crown well. RIP.

Comment

She visited Austalia 16 times. The first and only monarch. Once in Canberra in the early Sixties she was guest of honour at a garden party held by the Governor General at Yarralumla. My parents were invited to the garden party. They never met her but enjoyed the afternoon. Kangaroos grazed on the lawn on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpeg-22.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	25612

On our coins and now only $5 note. As the Barmy Army sing and remind us every summer. So she has been a constant my whole life. We lost our matriarch 3 months ago. My wife's Amma, Louise. She was the glue for the whole, extended family. The centre. So offer my sympathies to the family.
        Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 09-08-2022, 03:19 PM.

Comment

horrible news, I have great reverence to the monarchy. The line stretches back over 1,000 years in our country. To think that she alone reigned for 70 of them, a life of true devotion to her calling. I wish all the best to His Majesty Charles III and the Royal Family in their grief, as well as the best for the future of this institution. We have lost a great leader and steadfast symbol of our age.

Name:	_124939602_queen_index_976x549_v3.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	25601
          The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
          -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
          -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

I've been in shock and sadness about this all day, and I'm not even British. She was THE example of dignity and steadiness of leadership in the world for 70 years and it's hard to believe she's gone. HM King Charles III has some immense shoes to fill and I wish him, and the people of the UK and Commonwealth, all the best.

Comment

Very much not a monarchist but she devoted her life to her calling in a way that few could. The royals are trapped in the system and despite the immense privilege it's a cruel situation.

Huge changes have been on hold pending her passing and will now come to fruition. The world has changed - it remains to be seen how much. I believe the enormous reservoir of good will towards her has bolstered the institution, but now that's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
                It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with The Firm now that Charles is in charge, and that's coming from an American who could generally care less about the topic. Say what you want about The House of Windsor but it seems to me that QE2 was an amazingly steadfast and consistent leader, and there will never be another person like her (not even close is my guess).

R.I.P. Lizzy
                I agree. She was maybe the last true royal. Chuck and Harry seem a bit wishy washy. Never another like QE2, that's for sure... RIP

Comment

She really was a special human being. Rest in peace!
                  The Monarchy, on the other hand, I don't know how or even if it will survive. IMHO Queen Elizabeth actually was the sole reason it remained in the 2000s.

Comment

Australian Parliament suspended for 15 days
                    Unprecedented. PM Anthony Albanese and Governor General to travel to London.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                      She visited Austalia 16 times.
                      She visited Israel 0 times. Granted, she only had 70 years to get there.

She meant to get there eventually, but she'd get so crotchety when she was reminded every 10 years. Just kidding. She never meant to go there.

She also never visited Greece. Or Cuba. Or Argentina, or Bhutan.

Comment

I've met many people. An actual King, a prince, and princesses. No one could hold a candle, nor any one else for that matter

My favorite singer passed away recently, Olivia was "The World's Sweetheart". Queen Elizabeth was possibly the most thought of woman in the world who didn't have fake tavtas, a big fat arse, but I degress. She was "The Woman of the World or "Monarch of the World. There will never be someone like her, ever, again. I certainly concur what others have said about her.

As a kid, I just remember seeing her on so many stamps and coins from so many countries. That started in the early 70s. I never thought this dignified woman would be such an important part of much of the world for decades more. I feel sorry, that she got to see the big cluster-buck, that many of the royals have become. It happens to everyone. The Royals as the biggest landowners in the U.K., I will be curious if Charles, who once wrote, as eloquently as a English Royal can write and talk, who wished he was a tampon, inside Camilla, would give up some of the land to the general public.

How many folks want to visit England just to see the crown jewels, and the Tower of London? Fish and Chips will be gone, a cheap pint will be gone, and now last of the true Royals. The one Royal you would just hope to catch an actual glance of through a window or elsewhere, but not on a stamp or a coin.

A blessing or a curse to be a Royal? This woman was HUGE! to the world, and will never be forgotten, until, she, too, is sadly cancelled from history. Shame!

Comment

New stamps here will feature King Charkes III with his face, facing in the opposite direction to Liz. Tradition.

Also the former Prince of Wales will have to decide if many flags add the Welsh component which they never did.

Name:	3804.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	25623

Queen's Counsel lawyers to obviously change.

So many changes...

Buckingham Palace to become museum? As Chuck prefers Clarence House.
                          Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 09-08-2022, 07:43 PM.

Comment

She had a sense of humour as well....

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/stat...8WkCPP3hA&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
                              She had a sense of humour as well....

https://twitter.com/davidmackau/stat...8WkCPP3hA&s=19
                              Well, she did bear Charles, er King Charles.

Comment

Working...
                              X