Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

This is the Saga you're looking for-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_(band)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saga_(band)#Studio_albums

Biggest hit:

The Saga in question actually hails from Canada.

I don't have that album, but it is a Saga album.
    Thanks. Slightly better than what I listened to, but not much.

You do know that Canada is a country in America, no?

Comment

Not aware of a version of Wildest Dreams with a supposedly different version of the title track tacked on at the end. I have a copy of the original 1987 version on Atlantic records (their only album for the label) with 8 tracks. Maybe they meant to put on a live version or something and someone effed up and put the regular version there again. Or maybe there never was meant to be a track 9, is it listed? I'll have to look into that.

I voted Styx for the same reason, though Saga is high on my list. No, probably not A1 first tier, just a couple of groups I like and have all the albums from. I assume Styx can be a gateway drug band to more bolder outfits like Yes. Seen Styx live and they do a good show. Saga I've never seen and probably never will unless I fly over to Germany. However, I am seeing the ProgJect Ultimate Prog Rock Experience prog tribute show which features Saga singer Michael Sadler as well as Jonathan Mover (GTR) and Ryo Okumoto (Spocks Beard). I'm happy about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
        You do know that Canada is a country in America, no?
        I'm aware that Canada is a country on the North American continent, yes.

However, people from the United States use "Americans" as a shorthand for identifying people of their nationality or citizenship, the way people from France call themselves "French". There is no other word in the English language that can be used as an alternative, like "Unitedstatesian" (Which I just made up seconds ago for illustrative purposes).

So, collaqually, it would be rare for people from the United States to refer to Canadians as Americans, because then we'd have no word to refer to ourselves with.

I can't say that I've conducted an extensive survey of what Canadians refer to themselves as, but I would imagine it is "Canadians", if only to distinguish themselves from the more populous country to their south that there is always some worry may swallow them up culturally, and for the sake of clarity when dealing with people from the United States or abroad who they don't want to assume that they are from the US.

I would say in those instances where one wants to be inclusive of both Canadians and citizens of the United States, along with Mexico, one would say "North Americans" rather than just "Americans", again for clarity.

I think you're technically right, but common usage, at least where I come from, is different. It would be interesting to see a poll of British or EU folks and whether they mean to include Canadians when they say Americans or not.
        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

'United States Of America' is simply a collection of states within the American continents united as one country. The term 'American' stems from colonial times and used to differentiate between those from the Old world and those born in or who had moved to the New world. After independence, we stuck with 'Americans' as what we call ourselves. Too late to come up with something else, eh. There is no other word to refer to ourselves as. So in the US we call Canadians Canadians, Mexicans are Mexicans and people from in between those two countries as Americans, even though it's all within the Americas. The whole western hemisphere is The Americas, but were the one country within it that just goes by 'United States of' - kind of like a football team named after their city as opposed to having a name like The Eagles or something.

Comment

Statins? ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post

I'm aware that Canada is a country on the North American continent, yes.

However, people from the United States use "Americans" as a shorthand for identifying people of their nationality or citizenship, the way people from France call themselves "French". There is no other word in the English language that can be used as an alternative, like "Unitedstatesian" (Which I just made up seconds ago for illustrative purposes).

So, collaqually, it would be rare for people from the United States to refer to Canadians as Americans, because then we'd have no word to refer to ourselves with.

I can't say that I've conducted an extensive survey of what Canadians refer to themselves as, but I would imagine it is "Canadians", if only to distinguish themselves from the more populous country to their south that there is always some worry may swallow them up culturally, and for the sake of clarity when dealing with people from the United States or abroad who they don't want to assume that they are from the US.

I would say in those instances where one wants to be inclusive of both Canadians and citizens of the United States, along with Mexico, one would say "North Americans" rather than just "Americans", again for clarity.

I think you're technically right, but common usage, at least where I come from, is different. It would be interesting to see a poll of British or EU folks and whether they mean to include Canadians when they say Americans or not.
              Donโ€™t waste your breath on that Bozo.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
                Statins? ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
                Itโ€™s Americans ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Comment

Working...
                X