Be the One vs Bring Me to the Power vs Universal Garden vs Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be the One vs Bring Me to the Power vs Universal Garden vs Finally

Just some songs from the last 4 albums of the 90s, which is your favourite?
    Be the One
    19.05%
    Bring Me to the Power
    9.52%
    Universal Garden
    38.10%
    Finally
    33.33%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Universal Garden is in my top ten Yessongs.

"religion man-made." Indeed.

Comment

They're all different, and differently-enjoyable. I'm unable to favour one against the others, just as I can't disfavour three of them against the one. I just can't. My brain doesn't do that. It's actually slightly distressing to contemplate it at all. Sorry.
      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
        They're all different, and differently-enjoyable. I'm unable to favour one against the others, just as I can't disfavour three of them against the one. I just can't. My brain doesn't do that. It's actually slightly distressing to contemplate it at all. Sorry.
        thats fair enough, I like them all as well- I had a tough time picking a favourite, in the end I went with the groove of Finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
          Universal Garden is in my top ten Yessongs.

"religion man-made." Indeed.
          top ten wow, thats a big statement, cool to hear someone so passionate about an Open Your Eyes song!

Comment

Wow, hard to choose between most of these. It was a toss-up between Bring Me To The Power and Finally. I'm surprised nobody went for Power, as people seem to favor 'classic Yes'-flavored material and that one is the most epic/classic 70's sounding of these 4 tracks. Love the Chris & Rick moments. But I had to go for Finally(aka 'I Could' from the second Conspiracy album), just to give Billy Sherwood some love. It's a fun rockin' Yes song. But I love how it switches gears for the second half and goes through that spacey/ethereal section that they don't seem to do much of anymore - like the spacey part of CTTE before 'I get up, I get down...', the Awaken harp/organ middle section, the middle of the longer version of The Calling, things like that. That hovering, ethereal stuff. I like a good Yes space-out. So that's my choice, Finally. Otherwise Bring Me To the Power.

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post

top ten wow, thats a big statement, cool to hear someone so passionate about an Open Your Eyes song!
              Well I've said it before. When Skankindead ranked UG 185 or so worst Yessongs on the last forum. I spat out my cornflakes. Loved it the first time I heard it. Steve's beautiful acoustic intro. The swelling melody. The amazing bridge. The repetition of the man-made lyrics. The spiralling lead guitar. Doesn't out stay its welcome. No boring second.

Unlike the other 3 offered.

Comment

Yes is a very playful band, there is always somethings happening in the songs, its not so much atmospheric, like Floyd, but Universal Garden is that kind of flying carpet music, but still artfully woven.
                Last edited by PeterCologne; 02-02-2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

If pressed, I'd highlight the coda to Finally as particularly lovely. Jon's voice is mesmerising: powerful, with a beguiling airlessness to it, phrasing spot on, exquisite. And the guitar echoing the raindrops as he sings 'I can hear the rain......falling'. Really nice moment on a really nice album. And that's part of the problem for me in pulling single tracks from different albums to rank against each other. Finally is part of the group of songs collectively entitled The Ladder, the other tracks similarly part of the groups of songs, or pieces, where they reside. Only four years apart, sure, but all different from each other.
                  Oddly, paradoxically, I don't get the same sense of cognitive disassociation, if I can call it that, in a concert situation, either being there or on a live album? Different situation and context I suppose. Not sure about that. Something I may have to ponder upon.
                  Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                  Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

None of these tunes is a favorite of mine, but my favorite moment of this lot is that last minute or two of Finally. Steve Howe’s tone, notation and feel were brilliant there

Comment

Something magical about those last few minutes of Finally, it just hovers in space. Especially that slight, slight pause in the vocals where Jon pauses in the lyrics 'I can feel the Earth...moving'. The synth pads, the understated drums, Steve's tone. That section is just dreamy, and almost...Christmas-y, I think. Reminds me of the Going For The One and especially Tormato period, something about the guitar sound over the ethereal keys. Need some more 'spacey' moments in Yes again.

Comment

I have the impression that the coda of Finally is one of the few Yes-moments that offer an almost bluesy atmosphere...

Comment

Numbers two, three and four I like almost equally. Be The One not so much. There’s a fine 5 minute song in there, the rest is padding.
                          I chose Universal Garden, but was tempted to go for Bring Me To The Power, because it doesn’t get the love it deserves.

BTW, I’m I the only one who doesn’t like the I Can Feel The Earth Moving lyric in Finally, because of that phrase being so very much Carole King?

Comment

So I had to go back and listen to all of those...it had been a while, lol. "Universal Garden" gets my vote.

-I like the tempo change in the middle of "Be The One" but otherwise I feel like it just meanders. It feels half-baked to me.
                            -I like "Bring Me To The Power" - it's not earth-shattering or anything but it's okay. There's some interesting tempo changes but it doesn't come off as very dynamic even so.
                            -"Universal Garden" is one of the songs I like from OYE. This production does feel more dynamic and engaging in evoking the mood of the song. Has a great ride-out and ending too.
                            -I've never been much of a fan of "Finally" - Jon sounds really rough, and maybe on purpose but...it just gets under my skin (not in a good way).
                            Rabin-esque
                            my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                            rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Much easier one (for me anyway) as compared to that Siberian-HOTS-Perpetual discussion. Whew.

Be the One - clearly my fav and standout of these 4

As for the next 3, these are not records that i put on frequently. I Play Keys the most of that 3. But as for these 3 tunes, they are all so varied......if I was forced to choose would be as follows:

Bring me to the Power.
                              Universal Garden / Finally - a tie.

I enjoy the other vocals up in the mix in UG! And the second half of Finally is wonderful YES!

Comment

Working...
                              X