Big Generator vs Magnification vs Fly From Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Generator vs Magnification vs Fly From Here

another trio to choose from, ( FFH refers to whichever version you prefer.)
    Big Generator
    42.86%
    Magnification
    28.57%
    Fly From Here
    28.57%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Kind of an easy one for me. Magnification has its moments, but it struck me as more of a commercial pursuit, rather than an artistic one. I have a soft spot for Big Generator, which I know calls into question my loyalty to the real Yes, but it’s not in my personal top 10. (btw, Big Generator was a “commercial” album, but no more commercial than Fragile; each reflected a “sound” that got radio airplay at the time. Magnification may not have sounded as “commercial,” but it was designed primarily to sell to fans of Yes and similar bands, and only secondarily as an artistic venture.) Finally, Fly From Here is considered an embarrassment insofar as it did not feature Jon Anderson in 30 years. But whereas Anderson’s enthusiastic involvement in albums like Big Generator, Close to the Edge (and many others) strengthened those albums immeasurably, Fly From Here was fantastic without him. In my opinion, of course..

Comment

Big Generator is my favourite, followed by Magnification and then Fly From Here.

Comment

I have a soft spot for Big Generator, so I'll go for that one. Crisp, futuristic, magical. Magnification and Fly From Here I like equally.

Comment

[sigh]

Magnification
          Big Generator
          Fly From Here

Magnification. I think the integration of the orchestra with Alan, Chris, and Steve actually worked out really well.

I don't listen to these three albums in their entirety all that often, but I do recall that the duff track Soft As a Dove was on Magnification. I'm a real fan of Dreamtime.

Big Generator rubbed me the wrong way when it was released, but I've warmed up to it over the decades. Love I'm Running.

Fly From Here. I like it, in spite of it's real laid back attitude. Bumpy Ride bothers me when it ought not to . . . it just seems added on. Really like Hour of Need (Full-length Version).
          Last edited by pianozach; 12-24-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

For me it is…

Magnification…We Agree, Give Love Each Day, and In the Presence of are classics, and the George Harrison style guitar work on Time is Time was eerily effective just after George left us.

Fly from Here was well done. I prefer the original to Return Trip. It was great to have another chapter from the Horn/Downes Yes lineup.

Big Generator was disappointing to my ears. It has its moments, but it ranks with Tormato as the most disappointing Yes albums. I expected a better album.

Comment

Easy choice for me. Big Generator was the first Yes album I bought and I still love it.

Comment

Close between Magnification and BG, but I can’t vote against my first Yes album here so I’m voting for BG.
                “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Voting for Fly From Here but all of the three are in my upper half of Yes ranking! Love every track on all those three albums and they're always such a joy to come back to.

Comment

FFH for me. I like bits of BG, but I don't enjoy it as an album, exactly with Mag. Parts of it are magnificent, but the album is beyond underwhelming.
                    I like FFH as an album, but especially the RTR version. It took 30+ years, but Trevor finally finished Riding the Tide, Riding the Tiger, Life on a Film set

Comment

Fly from here for me even though I was obsessed with final eyes and I’m running

fly from here brought me and Amanda together

Comment

Not an easy one at all. None of them are stellar or top of the heap Yes albums. I feel like Magnification is hindered by the presence of the orchestra. If Tom Brislin were the replacement for the orchestra and was allowed to create a keyboard landscape for those pieces, it might have been a different story. FFH just doesn’t have the same mojo of the Drama era Yes. Return Trip is an upgrade because of Horn’s vocal presence but not enough to lift it to outstanding musical heights. I’m going to go with Big Generator for the sheer quirkiness of pieces like I’m Running and the title track. I also like the hard driving Rhythm of Love.

Comment

Fly From Here perhaps comes close, but I think I'll have to go for Magnification. I understand that some criticise the orchestra, but I can't help but like orchestras. I'm not equally keen on all the songs, but overall I (probably?) enjoy it more than the other two. Actually, I think I may even be missing some of the tracks from Big Generator.

Comment

Such a tough call !!! My first Yes cd was BG. And I love it except for 2 songs I skip.... But had to go with FFH as I don't skip any songs and hearing Chris bass tone and performance return on the FFH suite is so epic. I do really like the song Magnification, Give Love Each Day, and In The Presence Of too. Some really great and different music on these 3 albums

Comment

BG by a hair for me though In The Presence is 1 of my favorites. Unfortunately the rest of Magnification for me is mediocre at best

Comment

Working...
                              X