Favourite Prog Band outside of Yes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favourite Prog Band outside of Yes?

Mine would be Genesis, I found prog through them.
    Pink Floyd
    14.71%
    Jethro Tull
    2.94%
    Genesis
    29.41%
    King Crimson
    20.59%
    ELP
    2.94%
    Rush
    11.76%
    Marillion
    2.94%
    Other (Comment below)
    14.71%
    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

I think I like all of the bands you've listed other than Jethro Tull - I just don't get them and I have tried. You really should have Van Der Graaf Generator in there, I'd rate them as my favourite. Other bands worthy of mention are Phideaux, Porcupine Tree and Comedy of Errors, all top drawer bands.

Comment

Camel, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Greenslade deserved to be here...

Comment

Genesis. The Lamb was one of the albums in the house when I was young. Relayer was a hand-me-down I got a little later when I was around 12.
        I wonder how things would have turned out if it had been the other way around.

Comment

This is a tough one, for sure: as a Canadian, I am by federal statute, required to vote for Rush when- and how-ever possible, but I would also vote for Marillion, if I had a second vote, which, at today's lousy exchange rate, seems unlikely.

Rush was given to me, but Marillion I discovered all on my own, and began a lifelong fandom c. 1984. Both bands have had some ups and downs, and albums that didn't connect to me at all, maybe even periods where I didn't listen to them much or at all (pretty much skipped Rush c. 1987-1998, but rediscovering them at the edge of millennium, found they'd turned out all right), but to paraphrase someone else, they've both more than earned my occasional contributions to their retirement funds, whether I love the new material or not. Mostly I think Rush went out on a high note: the last album didn't quite work for me, but the tour and final R40 tour absolutely did. Marillion's experimental days may be over, and it might feel like they've been mining one particular ore since Marbles, but it does still turn out riches more often than not. Each will, every so often, turn out a song I can share with someone else, which, sorry Crimson, no luck there…

Comment

Second favorite used to be ELP, but I'm more inclined to listen to Jethro Tull nowadays.

Comment

As much as I enjoy Rush and ELP, it has to be Genesis.

Comment

If you were to ask favourite band irrespective of genre or style, I'd be hard-pressed to limit it to just one, but within the remit of progressive music of the 1970s, for that is where it resideth, it would have to be King Crimson.

Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Genesis of the lot, but there are many still existing ones that make equally good musuc:
                  Spock's Beard, Neal Morse Band, Porcupine Tree, Frost*, etc.

Comment

Tough call between Genesis, Tull, Floyd and Rush.

Definitely not the others, although I loved Marillion with Fish.

Comment

For whatever reasons, I just couldn't get into Gabriel era Genesis: I've got the albums, given them a few listens every couple of years, but it just doesn't click. And yet So and Us get a lot of play, Melt a bit, Up some, but Car, Scratch, and Security not so much. Duke, Abacab, Genesis, Invisible Touch, and some of We Can't Dance is the body of Genesis I like, heretical as that may seem…

Jethro Tull I've probably given the most money to, having bought the remaster box sets for pretty much every album no matter how lukewarm I may be about them (quick Tull ranking: Thick as a Brick, Passion Play, Stormwatch, Songs from the Woods, Benefit, Minstrel, War Child, Broadsword, Heavy Horses). But then very little past Broadsword has been especially fun to listen to: Catfish Rising was quite good, and Thick as a Brick 2 better than it had any reason to be, but otherwise the latter 80s, 90s, 00s, and now 10s/20s has held interest.

King Crimson: also maybe heretical, I listen to the 80s & 90s albums the most, esp. concerts, then Red and 70s concerts, and very rarely the first batch of albums, including the debut — just not my cuppa.

Floyd: never really got into them, maybe too many teenage pot heads where I grew up listening to DSotM on repeat under a black light in their basement. (I wish I had the quote, but someone once called Marillion's "Brave" "The Wall" without the misogyny, although misanthropy might be a better term.)

So Rush* and Marillion for me, for having pretty long careers full of diversions, eras, trials and errors almost all of it I enjoy, and all of it I can at least appreciate. Well, other than "Tai Shan", almost…

*I argued to the guy who runs everynoise.com that if Croatian Electronic and Turkish Experimental could be genres**, why not Canadian Prog? He said he usually used a threshold of 100 artists to define a genre, to which I argued that Rush clearly constitutes at least three between the 70s, 80s, and 90s Rushes; he accepted the argument, but still asked for 97 more…

**Canadian Americana is a genre, which, wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
                        For whatever reasons, I just couldn't get into Gabriel era Genesis: I've got the albums, given them a few listens every couple of years, but it just doesn't click. And yet So and Us get a lot of play, Melt a bit, Up some, but Car, Scratch, and Security not so much. Duke, Abacab, Genesis, Invisible Touch, and some of We Can't Dance is the body of Genesis I like, heretical as that may seem…
                        All the bits I love bolded. The rest...meh !

Comment

Voted Genesis. Their catalogue has grown the most on me in recent years. I like all of their stuff, with the exception of the first and last album, but the early Collins era (Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, ....then there Were Three, Duke) is my favourite. I do like the Gabriel era, but actually prefer live versions of those songs, as far as they exist, by Collins' led lineups.

Marillion would be my next vote. I already loved the Fish era, but lately have familiarised myself with the Hogarth era and found some real gems there. I think their latest album is one of their strongest of their last 20+ years, which I think is an achievement in itself that they're still able to deliver the goods at such high level.

Comment

Originally posted by RelayerI View Post

All the bits I love bolded. The rest...meh !

Your musical taste stopped developing at the time your screen name was released apparently 😉

Comment

Of these bands mentioned in the poll, I discovered them in this order:

(QUEEN) - under 'other'
                              ELP
                              RUSH
                              KING CRIMSON
                              YES
                              (ZEPPELIN) - under 'other'
                              FLOYD
                              GENESIS
                              TULL
                              MARILLION (just right before Fish left, didn't even know he left till the next album came out)

Some stuff like Van Der Graaf, Kansas, Camel, Saga, neo-prog like Pendragon etc came later.
                              Other stuff like Styx, Zappa, Roxy Music, Tangerine Dream, classic Bowie, weaved in and out in between all of this. And all the while finding solo albums and offshoots affiliated with all these artists: Robert Plant solo, Asia/GTR, Eno, Hackett, Adrian Belew, Peter Gabriel, The Firm, the list goes on.

As for the poll, I voted 'other'. Of these artists in the poll, Rush holds a place in the chambers of the heart, at least till I got very heavily into Genesis. So I would say those two would be tied for faves outside of Yes: Rush for feelin' like a kid, Genesis for romantic elements. But above all of these is probably Queen.
                              Last edited by Soundwaveseeker; 07-26-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X