Clear All

Believe Again vs. It Will Be A Good Day

I think there is somehow a connection between these two songs

Believe Again
    22.73%
    It Will Be A Good Day
    77.27%
    "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

It'll be a Good Day is my favourite song from The Ladder. Its message just resonates with me and combined with the music the resonation is there even on a physical level. I like Believe Again, but It'll be a Good Day is special to me.

Comment

Originally posted by John Vehadija View Post
      I think there is somehow a connection between these two songs
      Make me believe again

-Jon Anderson, It Will Be A Good Day (The River)
      Hmmmmmmmm...

In all seriousness, The River is a rather pretty song that sets the tone for The Ladder very well. Believe Again is my least favorite Yes opener, is in my opinion a complete snoozefest, and sets the tone for Heaven & Earth very well. No contest for me.

Comment

hmmm I'm not a huge fan of either to be honest, one of the lesser songs on the Ladder and honestly I think there's better stuff on Heaven and Earth than Believe Again- I think It Will be a Good Day wins very narrowly.
        The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
        -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
        -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Learning to listen, learning to see
          Learning is power, making me free.
          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Again. I say no contest between a wonderful Ladder/Jon A song and a good tune from HE. It will be a good day!

Comment

Jon said IWBAGD was inspired by a friendly Torontonian (is that a word?) Newspaper seller near Fairbairn's studio who would daily greet our Jon with this cheery proclamation! Lovely tune, shimmery keys from Igor. Epic singing from Jon.

BA took awhile for me to love. Steve's guitar seemed narcoleptic. Better edit on the fan edit on youtube.
              Good message, nice melodies. But IWBAGD by a bee's appendage.

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH

Comment

Aaaargh, both.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                  Jon said IWBAGD was inspired by a friendly Torontonian (is that a word?) Newspaper seller near Fairbairn's studio who would daily greet our Jon with this cheery proclamation!
                  Torontonian is the correct collective noun for the unfortunate ones who live there (Canuck in-joke) but The Ladder was recorded in Vancouver.

And to answer the OP, neither.
                  Last edited by Khatrooper; 12-10-2021, 06:44 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer the thread’s question even tho I’m not fond of these ‘either or’ questions

Comment

I actually much prefer Believe Again. To my ears IWBAGD is just of of those typical Jon love songs with not much YES in it.

Comment

my wife will kill me but I have to go for Believe Again

Comment

I like both songs, but IWBAGD is a little better. Unfortunately I mentally confused it with If Only You Knew and voted for Believe Again instead. Like The Game and Light of the Ages, if Believe Again was trimmed by a verse and chorus it could be a stronger song. Maybe one day Yes will release a remixed version of H&E as well.

Comment

I always assumed or believed that It Will Be A Good Day was primarily written by Jon Anderson, but then I saw a comment somewhere by Billy Sherwood, wherein I believe he said that Sherwood had written the music to that song while he was in his teens and he contributed that to The Ladder. Does anyone welse remember seeing this comment?

Comment

Originally posted by True View Post
                            I always assumed or believed that It Will Be A Good Day was primarily written by Jon Anderson, but then I saw a comment somewhere by Billy Sherwood, wherein I believe he said that Sherwood had written the music to that song while he was in his teens and he contributed that to The Ladder. Does anyone welse remember seeing this comment?
                            If I recall correctly, the chorus part is Billy's, and the verses came from Jon. But my memory is not what I remember it was.

Comment

Working...
                            X