Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pjt
    replied
    If Only You Knew is the song I almost skip on Ladder, almost but it doesn't bother me enough to skip it. The Ladder is still one of my all time favourite albums, but this one track is the least favourite.
    So it's Living Island for me, I actually like it as a song, and on the album.

Leave a comment:

• Chrisklenox
    replied
    Tough call, but I went with If Only You Knew. Yes nailing the contemporary pop sound of the day and still sounding like Yes.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    ALI every day and on Sunday.

Poignant slab of breezy yacht rock, so real you can almost taste the sea spray from the Westward chain.
    Juano's hushed beginning. The pain in his voice as the pandemic closed down the world. Stopping those ships that he was espying! Fantastic world class harmonies during the skittery 2nd section to the triumphant communal finale ala Queen like in anthemic climax.

Forevermore indeed.

IOYK is heartfelt. Janee's a lucky girl.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Easy for me. No contest. If Only You Knew. Jon A at his finest.

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    A Living Island has to be, not a huge fan of If Only you Knew there are better songs on The Ladder.

Leave a comment:

• Homemade Parachute
    replied
    Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
    If Only You Knew belongs on The Ladder as much as Onward belongs on Tormato, IMHO. Which is a lot, just to be clear.
    That's a fair point. I definitely like Onward a whole lot more (one of the best on Tormato), and I will give If Only… another listen or two. I think maybe so much more of the album sounds, to me, like a *band* album, like everyone had a lot of input into every song, and this one tune stands out as really individual-lead. So maybe it's just context: on Open Your Eyes it maybe wouldn't stand out so much for me.

Leave a comment:

• PeterCologne
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post

There you go then... 😆😆😆

No, those little ones in the song are more elegant, try again...

Leave a comment:

• Yorkshire Square
    replied
    Originally posted by PeterCologne View Post
    . I also likethose little baroque-like ornaments.
    There you go then... 😆😆😆

Leave a comment:

• PeterCologne
    replied
    If Only You Knew is a great song and a nicely twisted. It seems so easy, but has a lot of finesse. I thought if they had put that out as a single it should have been a world-hit. Who knows... well maybe it would have been that one chord too far for the masses... I also likethose little baroque-like ornaments.

Leave a comment:

• Ceasar’s Palace
    replied
    Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
    Hmm, this is one of those tunes where I wonder if a solo album wouldn't have been a better home for it… Granted, I'm not a songwriter and not in a band, so who knows how musicians decide whether a song is best for the band or solo, but If Only… is the one I skip the most, just feels out of place on an otherwise very band-focused album.
    If Only You Knew belongs on The Ladder as much as Onward belongs on Tormato, IMHO. Which is a lot, just to be clear.

Leave a comment:

• Homemade Parachute
    replied
    Hmm, this is one of those tunes where I wonder if a solo album wouldn't have been a better home for it… Granted, I'm not a songwriter and not in a band, so who knows how musicians decide whether a song is best for the band or solo, but If Only… is the one I skip the most, just feels out of place on an otherwise very band-focused album.

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    I haven't bought the new album yet.

If Only You Knew is one of the last great songs that YES (and Bruce) created, that I truly love. Only a YES and Jon-fan would love this almost sickingly sweet, beautiful, and non guilty pleasure song, where the one and only Jon Anderson sings his magic. I always put the windows down, and crank it up when I'm driving. Yes-magic at it's very best.

Leave a comment:

• John Vehadija
    started a poll A Living Island vs. If Only You Knew

A Living Island vs. If Only You Knew

A Living Island
    38.89%
    If Only You Knew
    61.11%
    When I first listened to "A Living Island", it reminded me a bit of of "If Only You Knew"

Which one would you prefer?
Working...
X