Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syndestructible

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Syndestructible

    Amazon had a download of Syndestructible for $3.99 the other day (After years of not having it available at all in that format on Amazon US), so I bought it.

    So far, my favorite song is "Some Time, Some Way", which I gather was not one of the two best liked or heavily promoted tracks when the album first came out. My early leaning towards a second favorite is "The Promise", but I haven't listened to that one enough times yet to know if it'll hold up.

    Anyone else have any favorite songs from this album?

    How does their next album, Big Sky, compare? I know they had a bunch of lineup changes and some controversy, and wound up losing Chris Squire. Do they wind up having someone with similar vocals playing his role in the band, or do they just skip those type of parts on that album?
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

    #2
    Well, Chris thought Cathedral of Love was one of the best songs that he'd been involved with in 20 years. Gotta agree. The next album was also good. Forget who played bass. But had Tom Brislin. Again engaging melodies. Nardelli unfortunately suffers from delusions of grandeur and rubs people the wrong way.

    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 12-14-2021, 06:45 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
      A
      Anyone else have any favorite songs from this album?
      Have fun with it, dbar, it is a gem of Yesworld and it rocks, my favourite Yesworld-music of the century so far.... it is Squire allover...



      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
        Well, Chris thought Cathedral of Love was one of the best songs that he'd been involved with in 20 years. Gotta agree. The next album was also good. Forget who played bass. But had Tom Brislin. Again engaging melodies. Nardelli unfortunately suffers from delusions of grander and rubs people the wrong way.
        Yes, Nardelli seems be strange, I experienced him on the AGP-forum. But you know, at least in this case I don't care, he made this project happen. And for me this is a prove, that us fan-forum-"Experts" just know too much pseudo-important stuff.

        Isn't essentially what counts only that what happens in the time when I drop the needle or the laser onto the vinyl/CD and when I lift it up again? Or what happens in the time when the lights go out in the concert venue till the last applause and when the light comes back. Everything else is so subjective and vague, in the end we do know nothing ... well... sorry not directed at you at all, I mean this generally, I also commented about Nardelli some times ...and maybe just some November-melancholy :-)
        Last edited by PeterCologne; 11-29-2021, 01:37 PM.

        Comment


          #5
          One of my favorite albums with Chris, came out at the right time as I was waiting for a new Yes album

          The Big Sky album is still great but shorter songs and no Chris, I understand some might not like it
          "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by PeterCologne View Post

            Yes, Nardelli seems be strange, I experienced him on the AGP-forum. But you know, at least in this case I don't care, he made this project happen. And for me this is a prove, that us fan-forum-"Experts" just know too much pseudo-important stuff.

            Isn't essentially what counts only that what happens in the time when I drop the needle or the laser onto the vinyl/CD and when I lift it up again? Or what happens in the time when the lights go out in the concert venue till the last applause and when the light comes back. Everything else is so subjective and vague, in the end we do know nothing ... well... sorry not directed at you at all, I mean this generally, I also commented about Nardelli some times ...and maybe just some November-melancholy :-)
            Good points. No worries. Remember defending Nardelli to others. Some regarded him as a jumped up shoe salesman. But he was with Chris in the beginning and the first album was magical. He got it done. Enjoyed BS too. Have not heard Trustworks. With the swedish band. Flower Kings?

            anyway, found this cool video

            https://youtu.be/EUsGhRSmnOU
            Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 11-29-2021, 02:51 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
              How does their next album, Big Sky, compare? I know they had a bunch of lineup changes and some controversy, and wound up losing Chris Squire. Do they wind up having someone with similar vocals playing his role in the band, or do they just skip those type of parts on that album?
              The only person remaining on Big Sky was Nardelli. Everyone else got fed up with Nardelli's shenanigans, like not paying them, but they decided to work together on other projects (next up, Chris Squire's Swiss Choir). There's some carryover in style from Syndestructible: Nardelli's melodic and lyrical sense is the same; it's an album still aiming at prog territory. But it's pretty different in other ways: there isn't a Squire replacement, it's a different keyboard style, a different production style. Big Sky is an OK album, but I think The Syn Live Rosfest, the live album from the last show of their 6-date tour, is a better representation of the material. (More dates were planned, but the band crumbled in acrimony, everyone else against Nardelli.)

              By Trustworks, I think the law of diminishing returns has set in. You can tell it's the same core ideas from Nardelli, but there's less and less being done with them.

              There was actually an album between Syndestructible and Big Sky, which is Armistice Day, which is sort of leftover material from Syndestructible, Squire and White tried to block the release that they said was done without their permission.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                Have not heard Trustworks. With the swedish band. Flower Kings?
                Different Swedish band: Moon Safari. Who have also opened for Yes.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Syndestructible is definitive proof of Squire’s seemingly otherworldly ability to prop up even a mediocre to bad lead singer.

                  “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

                    Different Swedish band: Moon Safari. Who have also opened for Yes.
                    But what’s the Swedish band youf evah hoid?

                    “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Syndestructible, a great album, featuring great musicians excellently produced. I love it to this day.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Lest we forget, Nardelli's initial attempt at resurrecting The Syn was with Peter Banks. Once Nardelli caught Squire on the hook shortly thereafter, Banks was out. Not before creating a killer new/old track called "Illusion", though, as part of a bonus disc on a compilation of their '60s material:



                        "Illusion" makes me think a little of what the original Yes might have become if they had carried forward with the direction of the first album.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by profusion View Post
                          Lest we forget, Nardelli's initial attempt at resurrecting The Syn was with Peter Banks. Once Nardelli caught Squire on the hook shortly thereafter, Banks was out.
                          I think Banks was out before Squire was back?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            The lyrics on Syndestructible make John Wetton’s efforts read like the best bits of Shakespeare. And they’re truly horrible.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by bondegezou View Post

                              I think Banks was out before Squire was back?
                              That's right, which is what I was meaning to say. Pete apparently gave Squire's phone number to Nardelli, and things went where they went. We never did get the story of why Nardelli stopped taking Pete's calls or what have you; presumably a Syn with Squire and Banks would have been an even bigger deal. I don't believe Squire was the one who objected to working with Pete

                              The whole thing was such an odd affair. The new tracks on The Original Syn and the Syndestructible album are both really enjoyable--Nardelli has writing talent, whatever one thinks of his voice. It just ends up being nothing but disgruntled collaborators, time after time.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X