X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Holland
    Yes Master
    • Nov 2021

Geoff astonished by Asia cover singer

Someone posted some clips on twitter of him singing/playing Asia covers. Geoff had retweeted those, saying how great he thinks those are and even saying "I’ve never heard anyone come even close to John’s vocal timbre, inflections or delivery before, but the similarities on these cover versions are really quite astonishing."

​​​​​​​
    It really is quite amazing how close this fellow comes to sounding like Wetton.
  • Ceasar’s Palace
    The Said Remark
    • Nov 2021

And we have the new Asia lead singer.

He is indeed very similar, better than Wetton was in his later years, but maybe not quite as good as the young Wetton...

Comment

• carlmarx38
      Superyesfan
      • Dec 2021

I'll still take Bonilla......he has the experience and chops necessary for the big leagues (Plus I want some ELP covers in the next tour !)

Comment

• luvyesmusic
        Yes Master
        • Nov 2021

WOW!! This musician and singer, so GREAT, in so many ways.

As I've been outed/silenced by Twitter for being a Patriot who speaks the truth, and that Geoff originally got me on Twitter in the first place, and encouraged me to come back to Twitter and YESfans after self-imposed timeouts, someone PLEASE tweet that Rob MacDonald, aka luvyesmusic, whole heartedly concurs; and to say "hello". :-) Go, Geoff! Go, ASIA!

Comment

• RelayerI
          Superyesfan
          • Nov 2021

I suppose it depends on how much you like Wetton, but he does sound a lot like him.

Comment

• Gtkgasman
            Trying to be better….
            • Nov 2021

Sounds like him......but they chose another singer didn’t they......anyway. good stuff. I’d go see either one. Will be fun.

But in the end still just replacements....

Greg Lake lost, John Wetton lost.

When will the current yes and/or JA get a clue and get back together. Before. God forbid. They can’t! I don’t care about the politics, the money, who said what yadda yadda. Just get it done. It ain’t rocket science. If they wanted it done, it would get done, which saddens, or maddens me more.

Wow that was me going off on a tangent. 👍

Comment

• True
              Superyesfan
              • Nov 2021

Wow, if you had only played me the audio and told me it was a demo by Wetton, I would not have doubted it. It says that this singer lives in Wales - isn't that where Geoff Downes lives? How convenient!
              Not to say this means he could replace Wetton. much comes down to personalities and chemistry, but certainly he could be a candidate to sing with the band at some gigs.
              Amazing how some bands like Journey, Boston and Foerigner have managed to find singers who were very close to the original. Others have come very close - Ricky Warwick is very reminiscent of Phil Lynott, for example. Yes never quite found a perfect copy for Anderson, but Anderson's voice may be one-of-a-kind
              Last edited by True; 02-19-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• True
                Superyesfan
                • Nov 2021

I've been looking at the various videos by this Harry. A lovely piano take on Autumn Leaves, a bit of Rainbow, several comments where he says he can't play bass, and then a clip of him playing all of the instruments on Tempus Fugit. I'd like to "not be able to play bass" like him.

Comment

• Thinbeard
                  • Nov 2021

John Wetton never sounded that good ever.

Comment

• bondegezou
                    Panther
                    • Nov 2021

Originally posted by Gtkgasman
                    When will the current yes and/or JA get a clue and get back together. Before. God forbid. They can’t! I don’t care about the politics, the money, who said what yadda yadda. Just get it done. It ain’t rocket science. If they wanted it done, it would get done, which saddens, or maddens me more.
                    They don't want it done. I think it's their choice, not ours.

Yes has had many reunions (e.g., 1983, 1989, 1991, 1996, 2002, 2008, 2016, 2017). I don't think fans should feel hard done by because there hasn't been a ninth reunion.

Comment

• Gtkgasman
                      Trying to be better….
                      • Nov 2021

Originally posted by bondegezou

They don't want it done. I think it's their choice, not ours.

Yes has had many reunions (e.g., 1983, 1989, 1991, 1996, 2002, 2008, 2016, 2017). I don't think fans should feel hard done by because there hasn't been a ninth reunion.
                      Agree. I’ve said in many many posts, that’s my fan perspective, but that they don’t owe me anything and are not obligated to do anything. I can certainly agree with you here.

Now i would still “love” to see it happen. 😊

Comment

• Mr. Holland
                        Yes Master
                        • Nov 2021

Geoff retweeted Harry doing an acoustic version (all instruments and vocals by him) of "Heat of the Moment" honouring the 40th anniversary of Asia's debut album, saying "Goosebumps":

Comment

• Gtkgasman
                          Trying to be better….
                          • Nov 2021

Geoff’s a good man, as many have said, giving him shout outs and props. 👍

Comment

Working...