No announcement yet.

ASIA with CARL PALMER And GEOFF DOWNES Announces 40th-Anniversary Celebration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASIA with CARL PALMER And GEOFF DOWNES Announces 40th-Anniversary Celebration

ASIA, one of the greatest and best-loved supergroups to emerge during the 1980s, is currently preparing for an extensive 40th-anniversary celebration, due to kick off in summer 2022. Featuring founding members Carl Palmer (ELP, CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN) and Geoff Downes (YES, THE BUGGLES), the group will also include longtime bassist/ vocalist Billy Sherwood (YES) and newest member, guitarist/ lead vocalist Marc Bonilla, (solo artist, KEITH EMERSON BAND). The band is currently being booked for a U.S. tour to start late summer this year.

"40 years of ASIA is a real musical milestone for us," says Downes. "The success we experienced with our early albums has carried us through and gave us the foundation when we reformed in 2006. ASIA has been together ever since, although we lost John in 2017 to cancer. Still, we have endured and will carry on now with Marc Bonilla, who we know will be a great addition to the band."

"The fans have never left ASIA," says Palmer. "That first ASIA album with all those radio and MTV hits weaved the fabric of the music scene in the early 1980s. Those great songs like 'Heat Of The Moment', 'Sole Survivor' and 'Only Time Will Tell' still hold up today. When we play those songs and our other hits, we can see the entire audience singing along."

In December the multi-platinum selling English supergroup released its most ambitious collection to date: a 10-CD boxset "The Official Live Bootlegs Volume 1". Issued through BMG Records on December 3, the expansive set chronicles five complete performances of the original lineup captured between 1982 and 2010. The collection celebrates the huge appeal of the concert tours that followed ASIA's first two albums in 1982 and 1983. The success continued following ASIA's 25th-anniversary reunion in 2006 and three more highly acclaimed albums. The slipcase boxset features 5 x 2CD concerts from 1982 (Buffalo, NY, USA), 1983 (Worcester, MA, USA), 2007 (São Paulo, Brazil), 2008 (Tokyo, Japan) and 2010 (London, UK). The bootleg collection follows a previous 5 CD box set of studio recordings released in April, 2021.

Downes, Steve Howe (YES, guitars), Palmer and John Wetton (KING CRIMSON, UK, bass/vocals), took the world by storm with ASIA's eponymous debut album, globally the biggest-selling album of 1982, and the single "Heat Of The Moment". ASIA was a true "supergroup", pooling the talents of its four members who had already amassed tens of millions of record sales with their collective bands of the 1970s. Leaving behind their progressive roots, ASIA embraced the commercial FM rock sound that dominated U.S. airwaves and took that, and the new MTV video channel, by storm. The single "Heat Of The Moment" was a worldwide monster smash and their eponymous 1982 debut album spent an incredible nine weeks at No. 1 on the Billboard chart as ASIA became the biggest-selling album of the year and world tour dates sold out.

A second album, "Alpha", was released in 1983, followed by "Astra" in 1985. The four original members reconvened in 2006 for a world tour, to celebrate the 25th anniversary of that incredible success, and the album "Phoenix" followed. While the members were still heavily involved in other projects, they came together again to record "Omega" in 2010 and "XXX" in 2012, both albums were acclaimed by their faithful fans and supported by more world tours. Howe stepped back from ASIA to concentrate on his work with YES and was absent for 2014's "Gravitas". Following this tour came the news of Wetton's treatment for cancer, a fight he sadly lost in 2017. ASIA was special guest of JOURNEY for an extensive U.S. tour in 2017, and in 2019 the band hit the road with YES for the "Royal Affair" tour.

"We are planning an extensive tour to celebrate our 40th," adds Downes, "and the music will feature all the hits the fans have embraced. Stay tuned! It will be show you won't want to miss."

Late summer tour with Geoff and Billy. That either means an early summer US tour or no US tour for Yes this year.

Comment

Yeah, hmmm, interesting to see how this plays out...I have to google mr Bonilla.

I will be at one, or both, or together, or whatever is in my area in the US.

But My preference is to hear Relayer. Very much been looking forward to that eventually.
      Last edited by Gtkgasman; 01-27-2022, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I'm not thrilled to see a group that last did a new album in 2014, several lineup iterations ago, announce a new tour in 2022 without first putting some new music out there. I feel like I'm maybe feeling that more strongly than usual because of the pandemic, a time when typical concerts not only have the usual condition of costing an arm and a leg, but also now of putting one's life itself (and the lives of others one comes into contact with) on the line in a much more literal way.

Obviously, they are going to do what they are going to do, and not do what they aren't going to do, which I guess is their right.

I won't be attending. I will, however, continue listening to and enjoying all my favorite Asia albums issued between 1982-2014 on my phone and other devices.

Asia is a great band. I hope one day they decide to add to their legacy of new music again instead of just touring on what they (or their predecessors in the band) have done in the past without having a studio side of things to go with it.

I am not really sure if I need to bother having an opinion on Marc Bonilla, though his addition to the lineup is arguably the biggest news in the announcement. The last two lead singers Asia had on stage not only didn't get included on any studio albums, they weren't even featured on any Asia live albums. If not for fans posting recordings on YouTube of songs from the concerts they've attended, one wouldn't even know the band has done anything post-Wetton or had these new lead singers. Bonilla may similarly come and go without really getting any official representation in the Asia catalog.

Based on very limited famiarity, I would guess that Bonilla is good enough that he'll sound alright (I heard him singing on Greg Lake's "Lucky Man" on YouTube, and Greg Lake and John Wetton have been in a lot of the same bands at different times covering each other's songs, so if he can do Lake, he can probably do Wetton), but probably won't rank among Asia's best lead singers or lead guitarists (Looks like he's mostly an instrumental guitar guy by trade, so that might be a little better than his vocals.). Passable, but not a god among men. Admittedly, I could be proven wrong, and the disappointing lack of new music is probably coloring my thoughts somewhat. A constantly shifting lineup with no new albums definitely gives them a cover band-y or "old guys perform their band's past hits with stand-ins and no new creative" type of vibe.

I'm sure they'll put on pretty good shows, though, and I will say that I am glad someone is out there keeping all that great music alive.

I wonder if Dukes of the Orient (John Payne) will put out a third album. That band has an Asia type thing going. It's not as good as Asia putting out a new album, but Asia isn't doing it, so maybe the Dukes will return and help us out.
        Last edited by downbyariver; 01-28-2022, 11:36 AM.
        "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Well the tour/band activety is based on the celebration of the 40th anniversary of the debut album if I'm reading things correctly. So it makes sense that they don't necessarily release new music before that.

Also I think you need to understand that nowadays the music business works differently in that touring and releasing new music have become two separate entities. The days of doing a tour to promote a new album have been gone for quite some time now. Certainly for older bands/acts releasing new music has generally speaking become something to please the artist and a small group of diehard fans. It has become a novelty. And touring means nostalgia. The vast majority coming to see older bands come to see and hear the hits and the classics. That's were the ticket sales are and were the money is.

That, IMO, is the reality of the music business today.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post
            Yeah, hmmm, interesting to see how this plays out...I have to google mr Bonilla.

Bonilla was in Emerson's band for a few years, the tours were well-received AFAIK (as seen in above clip of Karn Evil 9). I think Keith and Marc did one studio album as well, and Bonilla has plenty of his own solo stuff out there. Similar style to Bumblefoot, with a Metal edge. Bonilla can definitely handle the more up-tempo stuff, and is a great guitarist as well.
            Last edited by carlmarx38; 01-28-2022, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post

Bonilla was in Emerson's band for a few years, the tours were well well-received AFAIK (as seen in above clip of Karn Evil 9). I think Keith and Marc did one studio album as well, and Bonilla has plenty of his own solo stuff out there. Similar style to Bumblefoot, with a Metal edge. Bonilla can definitely handle the more up-tempo stuff, and is a great guitarist as well.
              He does Greg Lake very
              well judging by this clip - thanks for posting. Never seen Asia so if they tour the UK I would definitely be interested.

Comment

Bonilla was in Emerson's band for a few years, the tours were well-received AFAIK (as seen in above clip of Karn Evil 9). I think Keith and Marc did one studio album as well, and Bonilla has plenty of his own solo stuff out there. Similar style to Bumblefoot, with a Metal edge. Bonilla can definitely handle the more up-tempo stuff, and is a great guitarist as well.
                Ooooh. Thanks!!!

Sounds good. I’m looking forward to an ASIA tour. Yes is May/ June in Europe. Maybe they go after that July/Aug. and if there is more yes in the fall some boys are gonna be very busy.
                Last edited by Gtkgasman; 01-28-2022, 06:01 AM.

Comment

He seems like an awesome addition, hope they'll form a stable line-up who can do an album after this year's tour
                  "We all gotta climb mountains!" - Jon Anderson 2003

Comment

I like what I've heard of his solo stuff..........you can hear plenty of ASIA moments in there....
                    Last edited by carlmarx38; 01-28-2022, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Here's one that Asia with Bumblefoot did in 2019 on the YES Tour : "Lucky Man"

Comment

I mentioned this in "Dragon Rises" post. I don't really see the point with Wetton gone, and if your going to do this why not have John Payne as vocalist. He's still out there this year with Asia featuring John Payne. Do we really need 2 Asia's at this point?

https://www.asiafeaturingjohnpayne.com/

Comment

Here's one that Asia with Bumblefoot did in 2019 on the YES Tour : "Lucky Man"
                          I enjoyed his performance that tour also. He plays solo in the area but I seem to have always been unable to attend

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post
                            I mentioned this in "Dragon Rises" post. I don't really see the point with Wetton gone, and if your going to do this why not have John Payne as vocalist. He's still out there this year with Asia featuring John Payne. Do we really need 2 Asia's at this point?

People will do what they will do. Obviously Palmer and Downes think there is still merit in going out at Asia. I'm not sure it will be to my personal taste without John Wetton, but there may be enough punters to make it fly.

As for John Payne, I think there are too many burnt Bridges between him and Geoff.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post

I understand your sentiments here. I get it. And no it’s definitely not the same. And Wetton (or lake or Emerson for Palmers band) can not be replaced!

The point for me anyway being interested is that I enjoy going to shows. I realize I am one of the overly optimistic ones here, lol, when it come to liking so many things. I like going, I have fun, we wrap the show around a dinner or mini trip and just enjoy. Spent too much time working and missing out too many shows for years in the past, and then lost another year+, so I’m glass half full these days 😊.

Just side note - we were lucky enough to be at the Wetton tribute show in NJ, USA few years back. Wonderful nite.

Comment

Working...
                              X