Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill M
    replied
    Has anyone noticed how the Donna Summer arrangement of State of Independence closely follows the original Jon and Vangelis version all the way down to Jon Anderson's dit dit dit dits...? In addition to inspiring Billie Jean, I heard it was the precursor to We Are the World. Very powerful and influential piece of music!

Leave a comment:

• Bill M
    replied
    According to Quincy Jones, the renowned bass line on Michael Jackson's Billie Jean can be traced back to The Friends of Mr Cairo album.

Leave a comment:

• Olorin
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    See You Later is often overlooked among Vangelis and Yes fans. That's a decent one, more rhythm and not as much lofty 'space' as usual. And Jon's unmistakable vocal cords. I think I read he contributed to Opera Sauvage, though I don't hear him on that.
    He played harp on it, I believe on the final track, Flamants Roses.

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    just listened to he is sailing what a fab song...

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    See You Later is often overlooked among Vangelis and Yes fans. That's a decent one, more rhythm and not as much lofty 'space' as usual. And Jon's unmistakable vocal cords. I think I read he contributed to Opera Sauvage, though I don't hear him on that.

Leave a comment:

• Sharp On Attack
    replied
    And I agree Jon fans should not overlook the SEE YOU LATER album as he is present on the 2 long tracks (although only partly singing on them )

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    I also remember the B-side of I think He Is Sailing called 'Song Is', real ethereal track that just melts with heavenly blissification- if 'blissification' isn't already a word it is now. It means 'Song Is'. I think I remember another demo song called 'Sing With Your Eyes'.

Some of the Page Of Life is a bit like Jon's Union-era demos, 'Watching The Flags That Fly'.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Was watching a YouTube demonstration video for "China" and realised all those percussive beats, blips and whooshes that I had previously assumed were programmed like a drum machine were all played by his hittin' keyboards. He was a genius of hittin' things.
    Legend has it, as a boy he never passed anthin' without hittin' it to see what sound it made. 😊

Leave a comment:

• Sharp On Attack
    replied
    Ok I didn't realize I Hear You Now had ever been a hit. Not around here in any case. The Friends of Mr Cairo did though.

Leave a comment:

• Soundchaser
    replied
    All of their albums carry their own feel. Short Stories is the most experimental, Friends Of Mr. Cairo is really beautiful, Private Collection smooth and could use a bit more depth and spirit.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

It was here too. I remember buying the single. It was on a lot of pub juke-boxes.
    Yep. Jan 1980. Peaked at number 8 UK chart. Remember the video bein' on TV's Countdown.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R-2402633-1330541216.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.9 KB ID:	17038

After the first embrace
    I knew the look of love was in your eyes
    After we first make love
    Our senses tingle to the touch
    Oh how we hypnotise

swooooooon!
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 05-24-2022, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
    Short Stories had I Hear You Now. Wasn't that a top10 hit? Played heaps on the radio down here.
    It was here too. I remember buying the single. It was on a lot of pub juke-boxes.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Short Stories had I Hear You Now. Wasn't that a top10 hit? Played heaps on the radio down here.

Leave a comment:

• Sharp On Attack
    replied
    Like most people here, I rank them in chronological order
    1. Short Stories : The only one that is a consistent great listen with no dud track although without a "hit"
    2. The Friends of Mr Cairo : Two very strong highlights and some less striking tunes
    3. Private Collection : He Is Sailing could be my favourite of all J&A songs yet lots of cringey tracks, including Jon's sex song.
    4. Page Of Life. The reissue is better as it features the Vangelis version of Change We Must -but with a dreadful cover and no Vangelis permission-
    Lots of dull material with the exception of the beautiful title track and the slightly ironic Money

Leave a comment:

• Olorin
    replied
    I haven't listened to these albums in a very long time, so this thread encouraged me to give them a relisten. I think in general it can be said that the best cuts on the first three albums are the same songs featured on the best-of disc, though sometimes the versions from the original albums are superior because the best-of used radio edits. There are also some album tracks from the first three that are pretty cool; Mayflower springs to mind.

I like Page of Life quite a bit in both its versions. Some of the songs are pretty weak but some of the others are great...and I think the exact same thing could be said of each of the first three albums. The special highlight to me from Page of Life, and my favorite of all Jon and Vangelis tracks, is Garden of Senses. I like the title track "Page of Life" quite well too. The song Is it Love is great. I always wondered if it were an Anderson solo song tacked on, as it sounds nothing like any other Jon and Vangelis track. I'm guessing that's not the case, as otherwise Anderson would not have omitted it from the "tampered with" US release. Great song, nonetheless.

A lot of folks have commented on Heaven and Hell, with So Long Ago, so clear, and yes, another great song. Funny story. I read a comment online once from someone picking up the album and getting to that track and finding it awful. They thought Vangelis had found some drunken woman in a pub and had her sing it. I replied that it was actually a man who was the former lead singer of one of the most accomplished prog rock bands of all time, who enjoys near-messianic status among the band's fans, so probably best not to share such an opinion with any Yes fans.

What may be less known to casual fans is that Jon also supplied vocals for two cuts on Vangelis' 1980 album See You Later, including the title track and Suffocation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X