Opinions/ ranking of Jon & Vangelis albums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
    Short Stories had I Hear You Now. Wasn't that a top10 hit? Played heaps on the radio down here.
    It was here too. I remember buying the single. It was on a lot of pub juke-boxes.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip itโ€™s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

It was here too. I remember buying the single. It was on a lot of pub juke-boxes.
      Yep. Jan 1980. Peaked at number 8 UK chart. Remember the video bein' on TV's Countdown.

Click image for larger version  Name:	R-2402633-1330541216.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.9 KB ID:	17038

After the first embrace
      I knew the look of love was in your eyes
      After we first make love
      Our senses tingle to the touch
      Oh how we hypnotise

swooooooon!
      Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 05-24-2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

All of their albums carry their own feel. Short Stories is the most experimental, Friends Of Mr. Cairo is really beautiful, Private Collection smooth and could use a bit more depth and spirit.

Comment

Ok I didn't realize I Hear You Now had ever been a hit. Not around here in any case. The Friends of Mr Cairo did though.

Comment

Was watching a YouTube demonstration video for "China" and realised all those percussive beats, blips and whooshes that I had previously assumed were programmed like a drum machine were all played by his hittin' keyboards. He was a genius of hittin' things.
            Legend has it, as a boy he never passed anthin' without hittin' it to see what sound it made. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comment

I also remember the B-side of I think He Is Sailing called 'Song Is', real ethereal track that just melts with heavenly blissification- if 'blissification' isn't already a word it is now. It means 'Song Is'. I think I remember another demo song called 'Sing With Your Eyes'.

Some of the Page Of Life is a bit like Jon's Union-era demos, 'Watching The Flags That Fly'.

Comment

And I agree Jon fans should not overlook the SEE YOU LATER album as he is present on the 2 long tracks (although only partly singing on them )

Comment

See You Later is often overlooked among Vangelis and Yes fans. That's a decent one, more rhythm and not as much lofty 'space' as usual. And Jon's unmistakable vocal cords. I think I read he contributed to Opera Sauvage, though I don't hear him on that.

Comment

just listened to he is sailing what a fab song...
                    The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                    -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                    -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                      See You Later is often overlooked among Vangelis and Yes fans. That's a decent one, more rhythm and not as much lofty 'space' as usual. And Jon's unmistakable vocal cords. I think I read he contributed to Opera Sauvage, though I don't hear him on that.
                      He played harp on it, I believe on the final track, Flamants Roses.

Comment

According to Quincy Jones, the renowned bass line on Michael Jackson's Billie Jean can be traced back to The Friends of Mr Cairo album.

Comment

Has anyone noticed how the Donna Summer arrangement of State of Independence closely follows the original Jon and Vangelis version all the way down to Jon Anderson's dit dit dit dits...? In addition to inspiring Billie Jean, I heard it was the precursor to We Are the World. Very powerful and influential piece of music!

Comment

Working...
                          X