No announcement yet.

Vangelis, RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved his music for The Bounty, really captured the hypnotic mood of the islands.

Comment

Very sad - loved most of his work, particularly with Jon of course.

For those of you who may not be as familiar , I'd recommend the album 'China' (so wonderful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAD1VU6G3c

Comment

Originally posted by A Venture View Post
        Very sad - loved most of his work, particularly with Jon of course.

For those of you who may not be as familiar , I'd recommend the album 'China' (so wonderful)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSAD1VU6G3c
        Just remembered usin' "China" as a soundtrack to an art school drawin' project about landscapes and pathways in the Botanic gardens. Very delicate and twinkly music that summoned up flowers and breezes through trees. Hearin' that great track above brings it all back 35 years later.

Got a good mark too.

Thanks V.

Click image for larger version  Name:	41ZKt7fXYPL._SY580_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.9 KB ID:	16597
        Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 05-19-2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

ABRAHAM'S THEME from CHARIOTS OF FIRE

This actually caused a lump in my throat. Simple. Hauntin'. Powerful beyond words.

https://youtu.be/Rc4y3mdBTic

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg-109.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	16601
          Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 05-19-2022, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I played the theme to Chariots of Fire in a 'rock band' at my school's talent show (I was on trumpet). I must have been in 7th grade or so. Interesting, that is the only time in my life I played in a small group. The rest of the time it was with the big school concert band or marching band. I wish I had done more in a rock band format.

Who knows, with a bit of luck there might have been a website called www.WillFans.com 😉

Comment

um. just to honour your story,memory I clicked on www.WillFans.com and it takes you to some Chinese girlie/bettin' site! a coincidence Ywill?
              Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 05-20-2022, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
                a legend

First time I took notice of Jon Anderson. Some of the Jon & Vangelis songs are fantastic. They created a whole little universe of their own. Typical example about the sum being greater than the parts.
                Not so keen on Vangelis’ own work. RIP.

Comment

My first encounter with Vangelis was the Heaven and Hell album in 1975. I think that was his third solo album, but the first after he relocated to London from Paris. He didn't like to fly. That album received a lot of attention and promotion at the time, and no doubt was purchased by a lot of Yesfans because of Jon Anderson's participation, me included. I liked the sound of the music anyway, and went on to buy several more of his solo albums as well as the Jon and Vangelis albums.
                  His work on Blade Runner with Ridley Scott almost added another character to the film, and it's impossible now for me to think of the film without hearing his music: a favourite film, and a favourite soundtrack. I have the 3CD 25th Anniversary release of all the music for the film. As familiar as his music for Chariots of Fire is, and it is undoubtedly evocative, I don't like the film much at all.
                  Among his other solo works I like are Antarctica, China, Beaubourg, Rosetta and Spiral.
                  He was a one-off for sure.

Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                  Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Soil Festivities is an overlooked album, the first movement at least is wonderful. Blade Runner - I didn't even know he did the soundtrack till long after I had seen it, and I loved the film. To this day I've never seen Chariots Of Fire. Then there's 1492: Conquest Of Paradis he did the music to. A number of great soundtracks.

Other than Jon & Vangelis, the first one I heard was Albedo 0.39 right after high school, back when I was big into older electronic stuff like Cluster and David Bowie's Low/Heroes. China is another beautiful one.

Comment

A 1 of a kind. He stood out alone as a truly great artist.

Comment

Has Anderson posted anything on the death? I know Vangelis wouldn’t speak to after him after Jon changed some production on a rerelease of Page of Life.

Comment

Originally posted by Nelson View Post
                          Has Anderson posted anything on the death? I know Vangelis wouldn’t speak to after him after Jon changed some production on a rerelease of Page of Life.
                          Jon has posted twice on his Facebook account about Vangelis today, and movingly so. Most likely he's done so on other platforms as well.

Comment

Comment

Sad news. RIP. Does anyone know if Jon ever patched things up with Vangelis before his death. I know they had a falling out over something a while ago (I forget the details but I think it had to do with a reissue of an album or something or re-recording).

Comment

Is it my imagination, or does Anderson ending up falling out with everyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X