Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the highlights in Circa: history?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Originally posted by Drone Decipher View Post
    I love Circa I listen to them a lot. The debut and Valley of the Windmill strike me as the obvious standouts. Cut The Ties, Information Overload, Trust in Something, Brotherhood Of Man, Silent Resolve, Empire Over, Valley of the Windmill. They're all killer. The other albums are growing on me a bit more slowly though. True Progress and Our Place Under The Sun would round out the top 10.

Oh also, I'd add that performing the William Shatner album would probably be an unrecorded highlight of theirs.
    I am not a parade guy, though I marched in a lot in high school, and down in Disney World. So anyhow, I was bored and looking for something the wife would watch on tv, and there was a parade somewhere in California on television. It was on for about five minutes, and this was just after the release of Bill Shatner's spoken word album, or song with Billy and the boys, and low and behold, Circa: and Bill Shatner are on a float, performing in front of the camera. Strange, and great at the same time, that somehow, randomly, I found this on the tele, and while many folks knew Captain Kirk and T.J. Hooker, and fewer people knew Tony and Billy, I knew who the heck Circa: was. :-)

In talking with Billy and Michael, and I did talk with Jimmy Haun as well, about how they met as kids growing up in Vegas, being the kids of musicians and a famous singer who Jimmy's dad was. One of the famous big guys confused Billy and his brother of being the kids of another famous Bobby back in the day. Michael and Billy told me their dad has a star on the Hollywood walk of Fame.

The last time I went to California, we went to stay with some of my wife's family. Well, actually we cut part of our trip short so my wife could spend time with her family. I would have preferred to show my daughter more of the coast of Northern California, and perhaps meet and meet up with Erik/ Somis Sound. I wanted to show my daughter Yosemite, and Sequoia National Park which we did over going to Death Valley which I have yet to go to. What a drive going through Nevada. Saw like three cars in five hours in a landscape that went forever.I had done three thousand miles in four days on a new Honda Goldwing with my wife on the back the last time we were there, with the first night up in King's Canyon National Park, 7,000 feet up, 25 degrees with snow and ice all over the road, seeing three cars in four hours, and not seeing the shear drop offs in the pitch black, which I truly noticed this last tripmThis trip we started in Vegas. Daughter and I flew into the Grand Canyon in a helicopter, and then we did eight of the national parks in Utah ( which was AMAZING. Once again, I felt like a speck, and had to fight my fear of heights. So, anyhows, I am notorious for driving and/or riding for hours, to see what we/I can see with limited time and thousands of miles to cover. Sometimes it is a bit much for the wife and kid, but they have seen and experienced unforgettable sights and things they would never have seen, or done, without me. Sometimes it's been bad focusing on driving /seeing my eyes get completely bloodshot.

So we finally get to where my wife's family are, and these folks hardly ever get out. Last time I drove them to the Peterson Automobile Museum, with a bad hos going through Compton with these three Asian ladies and a bunch of kids. We get there late and it so happens they are going to be closing early for the U S. launch of the new redesigned Audis with a black tie gala. They let us in for free, but we have a couple of armed guards following us because they don't trust the kids. All the times I have taken children to look at cars, not once has any of them ever touched one vehicle. I see all the cars that made me want to go fast as a kid. The Blue Flame ( really a rocket with wheels), the Green Monster, the Spirit of America. Vehicles I never thought I would ever see, and so much more. I was heaven. Everything but a 71 or 72 Lotus John Player Special F1 car, my absolute favorite.

This time I wanted to take my two neices and my daughter, along with my wife and two sisters to Hollywood. I wanted to show the girls the truth about Hollywood, and that's depressing like almost any other shitty, dirty city, with a bunch of folks with mental issues. We also drove up to the observatory, and up the other hills to look at expensive houses, er, mansions. While we were down in Hollywood, I started to look down at the stars, and see if I could spot Bobby Sherwood's star. I did this for a bit while everyone else was just walking. After a while I stopped looking, had zero idea where it would be, and just relaxed. I just emptied my mind. I am a firm believer in being relaxed and positive energy. When I became completely relaxed, I looked down for the first time in twenty minutes ( the girls/women had been going into shops), the very first star I looked at in twenty minutes, and there was Bobby Sherwood's star. While originally since I had been there, I took a look/looks, but then I relaxed and it came to me. Amazing how that works. I snapped a picture and showed it to Billy later. He was happy I remembered, and more importantly, his dad, was somebody really special to him.

I think I was at a Baltimore YES show where I didn't have a M&G, and I ran into Billy in the parking lot. He came over to me and I asked him to sign one of Circa: c.d.s. I believe his former wife took the pictures, and did a lot of artwork. His son and my daughter are roughly the same age. Anyhow, on one of the albums, the boy on the album cover, or on the back is his son. I asked how he was doing? And he told me that boy has his head on a swivel ( looking at all the girls/young women at his age ). We both laughed.

Just think of all the bands and projects we would have missed if the guys from YES had been in an average band?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Originally posted by luvyesmusic View Post

All my "YES-stories," , well almost all of them are pretty tame to the ones that would make "my book", Arno. ;-)

Life is far too short to live a boring life. Sadly the older you get, and as your priorities, and financial priorities,change, so do your adventures, that sadly wind down. I no longer bounce anymore.

Of all the many things I have done, my travels, the people I have met, and been involved with, it all pales in comparison to the ride I have been a long with, or following and supporting, my daughter Crystal. It's something you can't explain to folks without kids. She has brought me joy everyday for over seventeen years. She's been the real adventure.
    As a father of a beautiful daughter of almost 13 and a beautiful son of 11 years old, I can only concur!!

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Great stories Rob! You should write a book some day; "Stories of a Yes fan".
    All my "YES-stories," , well almost all of them are pretty tame to the ones that would make "my book", Arno. ;-)

Life is far too short to live a boring life. Sadly the older you get, and as your priorities, and financial priorities,change, so do your adventures, that sadly wind down. I no longer bounce anymore.

Of all the many things I have done, my travels, the people I have met, and been involved with, it all pales in comparison to the ride I have been a long with, or following and supporting, my daughter Crystal. It's something you can't explain to folks without kids. She has brought me joy everyday for over seventeen years. She's been the real adventure.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Great stories Rob! You should write a book some day; "Stories of a Yes fan".

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    True, the turnout for the Jaxx show in VA was meager. At the time, the album wasn't readily available on Amazon or anything, only available on some Bandcamp-type CD site. So a lot of people/Yes fans didn't even know the band existed. The place was quite empty but it was an enthusiastic show. Alan surely played with power and Yes magic. Tony Kaye was up front with that grindin' organ. That 40 minute Yes medley was king. Tony handled any keyboard bit from whatever from whichever album with class and skill. That Jaxx club is no longer there, I think it's a Mexican restaurant now or something.
    That show was word of mouth/quotes from YES-fans.com, from what I remember. I miss that hole in the wall. Got to sit down and talk with Billy and Michael ( rip) for about 15-20 minutes before the show by myself at the outside bar, where they talked about their parents, and upbringing with me. Very cool. I have had so many cool moments because of Billy over the years . Some folks think of Chris as the Keeper of the Flame, but it has indeed been Billy.

Many, many shows at Jaxx over the years. I climbed up that cheap "ladder" to hang out with Paul Dianno after a show last time he toured here. Have zero idea how he could even get up there with his knee/knees. perhaps the most uncomfortable performance, as he was threatening to kill the inhouse sound guy for about twenty minutes, stating him down for about twenty minutes. Complete pussy cat after the show, though. Couldn't have been nicer, and the first two Maiden albums are my favorites.

Anyhow, my memory is either not that fantastic whether I saw Circa:, again, at the State Theater in Falls Church again, with Jay, and not Alan; must have been though. And then YOSO, later. I picked up Malcolm Birkett from the airport that day. Took him home to meet my wife and kid, He brought my daughter a little airplane coloring book. Then to his motel where we shared a nice bottle of wine, while he got ready. (Something about English man who just come out, or hang out barechested. Muff did that, too, when I had him stay with us for a few days during his "tour" of the states. Well, I did that, too, when I use to work out and race motorcycles. ) Last time I got a good buzz drinking wine.

Billy introduced me to Derek Schulman, record executive and former member of Gentle Giant (with his two brothers and others). To be honest, a history lesson before my time, and which I learned so much more, and enjoyed the interaction that Malcolm had with Derek, when they shared stories, after I introduced those two.

After the show, Malcolm and I went next door with Bobby Kimball and Tony Kaye for a couple of hours. I was just along for the ride. Tony has always been my favorite. Malcolm was there with YES from almost the beginning, being a fan, and then a true friend of the band. It was a special night for me to say the least.
    Tony is the man, and I have messed with him a bit, back in forth, after a shows, joking with him. I last saw saw him for three fiftieth shows, two in St Charles at the opening of the tour, and then I think the Warner. He spotted me wearing my YOSO shirt afterwards, and announced to the rest of the band, that Bobby Kimball was my favorite singer in the entire world. Very funny guy! Billy was laughing good at that one.

My best to Tony Kaye, always!

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    True, the turnout for the Jaxx show in VA was meager. At the time, the album wasn't readily available on Amazon or anything, only available on some Bandcamp-type CD site. So a lot of people/Yes fans didn't even know the band existed. The place was quite empty but it was an enthusiastic show. Alan surely played with power and Yes magic. Tony Kaye was up front with that grindin' organ. That 40 minute Yes medley was king. Tony handled any keyboard bit from whatever from whichever album with class and skill. That Jaxx club is no longer there, I think it's a Mexican restaurant now or something.

Leave a comment:

• luvyesmusic
    replied
    Well, I love that Billy brought Tony back, and Jay into the YES-fold, and helping to keep the YES-flame alive.

I went to that Soundwaveseeker show, too, though there were two. One with Alan at Jaxx in Springfield, VA, were I finally got to meet some of the biggest fans from YES-fans com.

I watched Alan as he came in last. I'm sure there were smaller venues/older venues in California, but I was thinking that this was the smallest venue he had probably played in years. The turn out for the show was even embarrassing for me . I have friends for life from that show.

But what I remember most, is the power that Alan had, playing his kit that night. What a powerful bear! That's the first and last time I ever saw and heard him play with that power. That was worth the ticket alone.

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied
    Originally posted by Yesed View Post

Love revisiting this. Confirms why I think Billy and Jimi should be the new generation of Yes, with Jay. Haun does a great young Peter and Steve.
    Absolutely.

Leave a comment:

• Yesed
    replied
    Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
    This was incredible to watch them rehearse.... Alan was absolutely on fire, Tony handled everything in his excellent style, Jimi's tone and performances of both guys material was incredible, and Billy and Scott did great. Here is the live performance!!

Love revisiting this. Confirms why I think Billy and Jimi should be the new generation of Yes, with Jay. Haun does a great young Peter and Steve.

Leave a comment:

• Somis Sound
    replied
    This was incredible to watch them rehearse.... Alan was absolutely on fire, Tony handled everything in his excellent style, Jimi's tone and performances of both guys material was incredible, and Billy and Scott did great. Here is the live performance!!

Last edited by Somis Sound; 09-27-2022, 02:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Holland
    replied
    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    I loved Circa from the beginning and saw them live in Northern Virginia when they were promoting the first album which had Alan White on drums. Of their 5 studio albums (4 albums and one EP which is almost as long as an album so I count it), the best ones for me are the first one (Circa:2007) and the last one (Valley Of The Windmill, 2016). The ones in between are good too but closer to a Billy Sherwood solo album with special guest Tony Kaye for the most part. The EP I actually like a lot (Overflow, 2009). I rank them thus:

1) Circa: 2007
    2) Valley Of The Windmill
    3) Overflow
    4) Circa: HQ
    5) And So On

favorite tracks include (but in no particular order):

1) Together We Are - almost a Yes track, I like a lot (Circa 2007)
    2) Cut The Ties (Circa 2007)
    3) Empire Over (Valley Of The Windmill)
    4) True Progress (And So On)
    5) Our Place Under The Sun (Valley Of The Windmill)
    6) Trust In Something (Circa 2007)
    7) Set To Play/Ever Changing World (Circa HQ)
    8) Pure Intuition (Overflow)

I prefer Billy on bass, when he took over guitar duties it started to sound less like a band and more like another Sherwood solo album. Good stuff on these albums, very much part of the Yes Extended Universe. Great if you want some rocking Yes-related stuff.
    Apart from favourite tracks I pretty much agree with everything you say here. So thanks for saving me typing a long post 😉

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    There's also Yoso, the one-off album which features all of Circa (I think the And Son On lineup, more or less) with Bobby Kimball (ex-Toto) on most of the vocals, though you hear Billy in there too.

Leave a comment:

• Drone Decipher
    replied
    I love Circa I listen to them a lot. The debut and Valley of the Windmill strike me as the obvious standouts. Cut The Ties, Information Overload, Trust in Something, Brotherhood Of Man, Silent Resolve, Empire Over, Valley of the Windmill. They're all killer. The other albums are growing on me a bit more slowly though. True Progress and Our Place Under The Sun would round out the top 10.

Oh also, I'd add that performing the William Shatner album would probably be an unrecorded highlight of theirs.

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    Just listened to Overflow this morning- honestly I think I like it more than the debut and am puzzled why these tracks were chosen to be left off the main albums, they're pretty damn good! Very solid throughout.

Leave a comment:

• Grey Wolf
    replied
    I rather liked the first album, then things got a little too samey for me, nothing really stood out. I guess I should revisit the ones I have, maybe something will grab me this time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X