White Snake 1987 album

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Snake 1987 album

I was listening to this album(cd) in the car the other day. I thought it was good but I'm not sure what to make of it. Not much really stood out for me but maybe it will grow on me.

Great 80s rock record. Still of the night rocks. Crying in the rain, Here I go again.....good stuff. Great vids of the time.

And of course one of the ballsiest voices you’ll ever want to hear!

Comment

I've discovered the American audience prefer the dreadful mid/late 80s macho rock and puffy hair era and generally dismiss the earlier late 70s early 80s bluesy period. It's quite the opposite around here... To me Whitesnake stopped being interesting with the Saints and Sinners album.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp On Attack View Post
        I've discovered the American audience prefer the dreadful mid/late 80s macho rock and puffy hair era and generally dismiss the earlier late 70s early 80s bluesy period. It's quite the opposite around here... To me Whitesnake stopped being interesting with the Saints and Sinners album.
        Wow that’s two shots at Americans in two of my recent posts. Although I don’t think this was directed exactly at me. Ouch. 😁😁😁😉😉😉

(note I do have the other Snake albums also. Give me Coverdale anyday to bring some deep soul to the party and more Jon lord)

Oh. Had to add/edit It was Not a dreadful time at all, including the music. It was Fun. 😀

and DC always has big hair. I’m not getting the hate for later DC.....oh well.
        Last edited by Gtkgasman; 12-31-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Don’t care for them much, but.... ca 2000 I was in a cover band and we did Here I Go Again. I liked playing it, and I did the backing vocals where there’s a very high note. (“Going down the only road I’ve ever kno-woon” And my bandmates were impressed I reached that note...

Comment

I think it's one of the better examples of the hair metal sound of the era, it's really polished and it rocks. And Coverdale was the perfect frontman for that kind of music. It's held up pretty well, I would say. I'm not that into it, but if I hear "Still of the Night" on the radio or whatever I'll rock out to it. But "Here I Go Again" is a little overplayed for me now.
            Rabin-esque
            my labor of love (and obsessive research)
            rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

There are two songs on this album (Crying in the Rain, Here I Go Again) and one song on the next album, Fool for Your Loving, that were re-recordings from earlier released versions on the 1980 and 1982 albums. I like the original versions better in each case.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharp On Attack View Post
                Well not all the American audience, I for one completely agree. The original run with Moody and Marsden is really good with Love Hunter being my favorite. The 87 album is embarrassingly cheesy to me

Comment

I'll go the other way then. I saw Whitesnake on the Ready An' Willing UK tour and it was one of the most tedious gigs I had experienced by that point.

Adding Sykes and revamping the material was a great move, although (as with many bands of the era) the hair image got a bit much as things continued.

Still not a fan of the early albums though. Tired, hackneyed old stodge

Comment

I saw Whitesnake on every tour from Trouble in 1978 through to Slide It In in 1983, usually multiple shows as they usually played Birmingham, Coventry, Nottingham, and Derby as well as Leicester. Those early days were wonderful!
                    I'd been a Coverdale fan since Deep Purrple's Burn. I knew his excellent second solo album Northwinds, and then the Snakebite EP.
                    They were very hospitable and appreciative to the fans after the shows, I was backstage with them often. Jon Lord got to know I was from Leicester and came to recognise me after that. Lovely chap.

Once Coverdale went all mousse and eyeliner with 1987, I stopped caring. He also ruined his voice pushing it into higher registers. Listen to those earlier albums and his tessitura is within his natural range; from 1987 album onwards he pushed it up higher and frazzled his vocal chords. He just squealed and barked after that, he couldn't sing. 1987 was very much of its time, all MTV glossy production and hair-product. They never recovered from that.
                    Slip of the Tongue was dire. For all his technical brilliance, I've never been a fan of Steve Vai-style pyrotechnics. Once Whitesnake, or specifically Coverdale, left the bluesy rock behind I stepped away.
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

My entire Whitesnake library is this record, Slide It In and Slip of the Tongue.
                      “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
                        My entire Whitesnake library is this record, Slide It In and Slip of the Tongue.
                        You have my sympathy. Have you considered seeking help, joining a support group?
                        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

You have my sympathy. Have you considered seeking help, joining a support group?
                          I could only find time to go in the still of the night.
                          “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Early Whitensake IMO is one of the most tiresome and plain Blues-Rock (and I like genuninly like Blues-Rock). Later Whitesnake on from 1987instead is tasteless, sexistic, a Led Zeppelin-ripp-off with impossible hairdo - but I love it, I love the clash of guitars, the flying sparks, the drive, the energy... I even baought a ticket for a show this year here (might just get canceled though)

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCologne View Post
                              Early Whitensake IMO is one of the most tiresome and plain Blues-Rock (and I like genuninly like Blues-Rock). Later Whitesnake on from 1987instead is tasteless, sexistic, a Led Zeppelin-ripp-off with impossible hairdo - but I love it, I love the clash of guitars, the flying sparks, the drive, the energy... I even baought a ticket for a show this year here (might just get canceled though)
                              Blues rock ? Zep, Rory, Free, all great stuff. Just not early Whitesnake !

I did like the later stuff though, albeit with tongue in cheek. I had the misfortune of seeing them last about a decade ago at the Download festival and Coverdale's voice was shot to the point of the band singing more of the set than he did, which was merciful. Not Ian Anderson shot, but getting there.

I wouldn't pay actual money to see them any more, but pray his voice has recovered somewhat should your gig go ahead.
                              Last edited by RelayerI; 01-04-2022, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X