Black Sabbath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Sabbath

The hills are alive with the sound of War Pigs....
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Paranoid's the only BS album I like.

Brilliant musicianship.

Comment

Originally posted by pianozach View Post
      Paranoid's the only BS album I like.

Brilliant musicianship.
      One of my least favourites. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are much better IMO - more varied - and the former also guests a certain Mr Wakeman. The musicianship is far more in evidence on these than the more straightforwardly metal Paranoid.

Comment

Black Sabbath - a groundbreaker - side a - awesome - my and my first BS album. Paranoid perfect follow up - War Pigs by far my fav BS tune.

Comment

Their sound changed with Master of Reality when they started down-tuning. Popular legend has it that it was to reduce the pressure on the ends of the two fingers Tony Iommi lost in an industrial accident, on his right hand, by lowering the string tension. It proved to be a trend-mongering thing, picked up by and copied by loads of metal-esque bands ever since.
          My personal favourite Sabbath album is Sabotage, though I can't realistically single out any of the sequence from Master of Reality through to Sabotage; they're all excellent!

Comment

I was a late-bloomer to metal in many ways......although I had my Metallica and Iron Maiden moments in my 20's, never actually listened to a BS album until I was almost 30 when I bought this album at a half-price shop on a whim :

All my friends in college were big metal fans and despite being dragged to plenty of metal shows (saw all of the big ticket bands, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy in the 80's) , it wasn't until I really listened to early Sabbath (from the above compilation), that I really was able to appreciate the roots of where it all came from.

Comment

Here's the one (I think) which has Mr. Rick Wakeman's Mini-Moog all over it :

(though I'm curious if the story is true....that Rick was so bored with the TFTO sessions that he wandered off to an adjacent studio where Sabbath was recording, and offered up his services ! )

Comment

Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post
                Here's the one (I think) which has Mr. Rick Wakeman's Mini-Moog all over it :

(though I'm curious if the story is true....that Rick was so bored with the TFTO sessions that he wandered off to an adjacent studio where Sabbath was recording, and offered up his services ! )
                That's the oft-told story. Allegedly, Sabbath had a dartboard set up in the studio, and copious quantities of alcohol available.

Comment

The one and only time I have ever participated in karaoke, and I was stupendously drunk, had to be or I wouldn't have been there, I did Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. At the 'You bastards' bit, the whole pub yelled it out!

This was sometime in the mid-90s....

Comment

I like Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Never Say Die (I know) and that's about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are much better IMO - more varied - and the former also guests a certain Mr Wakeman.
                      My favourite albums with Oz. Heaven and Hell with Ronnie more than deserves a mention too.

Saw Sabbath with Ozzy, Dio, Ray Gillen, Tony Martin...never did see 'em with Ian Gillan.

Bit of a fan you could say.

Comment

Originally posted by RelayerI View Post
                        My favourite albums with Oz. Heaven and Hell with Ronnie more than deserves a mention too.

Saw Sabbath with Ozzy, Dio, Ray Gillen, Tony Martin...never did see 'em with Ian Gillan.

Bit of a fan you could say.
                        Got backstage with them in 1978, Never Say Die tour. I still have my signed tour programme. Van Halen were support.
                        That same week, first week in June in think it was, at De Montfort Hall we had Motorhead, Rory Gallagher and Blue Oyster Cult. Those were the days!

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

Got backstage with them in 1978, Never Say Die tour. I still have my signed tour programme. Van Halen were support.
                          That same week, first week in June in think it was, at De Montfort Hall we had Motorhead, Rory Gallagher and Blue Oyster Cult. Those were the days!
                          .............and VAN HALEN blew them out of the water at almost every show (according to the "urban legend" )

Comment

Originally posted by carlmarx38 View Post

.............and VAN HALEN blew them out of the water at almost every show (according to the "urban legend" )
                            They put on a fine show, made the most of the opportunity they had, and unusually for a support band, were very well received. But the audience was a Black Sabbath audience. The rest is hyperbole.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post

They put on a fine show, made the most of the opportunity they had, and unusually for a support band, were very well received. But the audience was a Black Sabbath audience. The rest is hyperbole.
                              I saw VH on the "Women and Children First" tour......nosebleed seats.......my fondest memory of the show, Mr DL Roth wearing a ridiculous Sombrero (but not as big as the one Steve Howe wore on YES' '98 tour) :

Comment

Working...
                              X