John Mayer Records An 80s Style Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Mayer Records An 80s Style Song

This is from John Mayer's Sob Rock album released in 2021. Some of the other songs on the album have similar vibes, but sort of just have a bit of an 80s influence, whereas this one is almost perfect, from the great keyboard hook to the way they use percussion. It sounds like it could have come straight out of the 80s, which as a fan of a lot of that type of music, is a good thing

Look at that cover art, too. Richard Marx has an album or compilation cover that looks a lot like it, as do some other 80s artists.

I didn't find out that Mayer did this album until a couple days ago or I would have been all over it much sooner.

For those not familiar with Mayer, he is a pop singer who's first big hit album came in 2000 or 2001. He's since shown that he can play the guitar in a fairly traditional rock and roll way, and also can play the blues. He even joined the living members of the Greatful Dead on tour as Dead and Company for several years.

I'd love to see him go all in on this 80s thing.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 01-17-2023, 11:50 AM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Harry Styles included a really 80s-esque song on his newest album as well, it sounds a lot like "Take On Me."

Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Getting his Steve Winwood on. I’m not a fan of JM, really don’t know how he’s given such accolades about his guitar playing.

Comment

Vacuous dross.
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Working...
        X