40 albums turning 40 in 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40 albums turning 40 in 2023

While many seem to view the 80s as a lesser era for rock/pop music, some iconic albums on this list.

Which five are your favourites?

IMO 1983 was NOT a great year for music.

Out of the album choices offered in the VCR article?

While there are some "good" albums on the list, none of the others could I sincerely call "a favorite".

So I went to the comprehensive list on Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_i...lbums_released

. . . and didn't find anything there that really qualifies either; yes, some "good albums", but nothing that really captivated me other than 90125.
    Last edited by pianozach; 01-05-2023, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Journey, Frontiers — hell yeah! And which requires the obligatory reposting of the cover artist's statement:
      My vision for Frontiers was based on "tunnels" and the relativity of time and motion. Light stays the same, but time bends. It was Einstein theories for artist interpretation. The alien in Frontiers wasn't really an alien at all, he was a connection to a higher level of listening to Journey.
      Exactly. The first album I every actually bought. No guilt, all pleasure.
      Styx, Kilroy Was Here — hell hell yeah! Anyone else remember some crazy short film dramatizing the "story" of the album, or was that a late nite fever dream in 12YO yrs truly?
      U2, War — yessir!
      Bowie, Let's Dance — well, I never liked the title track, but the deeper cuts hold up just fine: "Ricochet", "Without You", "Criminal World"…
      The Police, Synchronicity — absolutely.
      Genesis, Genesis — maybe my favourite. There, I said it.
      90125 — all the hells yeahs.

And everything else on that list, I remember well — 1983 was the year I got my own radio/tap recorder, and so really started discovering "my" sounds, such as early 80s Winnipeg hard rock radio really allowed. Next year would be even more monumental, with Marillion's Fugazi grabbing my attention and not letting go for 40 years.

Comment

Pretty amazing comparing 1973 and 1983. I have a hard time limiting myself to five albums, or even the list, from 73 but with 1983 I have a hard time finding five albums I like. Bowie's Let's Dance and 90125 are obvious choices for me, even though 90125 hasn't held up well for me over the years. Talking Heads Speaking in Tongues and The Police Synchronicity are my next picks. The rest meh...

Comment

Originally posted by kkleinschmidt View Post
          Pretty amazing comparing 1973 and 1983. I have a hard time limiting myself to five albums, or even the list, from 73 but with 1983 I have a hard time finding five albums I like. Bowie's Let's Dance and 90125 are obvious choices for me, even though 90125 hasn't held up well for me over the years. Talking Heads Speaking in Tongues and The Police Synchronicity are my next picks. The rest meh...
          My thoughts exactly K-shmitty. Saw Bowie on the Serious Moonlight tour. * Was nearly crushed by the surgin' crowd. Was freaked out and watched from the back. Saw The Police as well that year. Copeland stole the show, runnin' around his drumkit, playin' nonstop. Saw The Talkin' Heads too with main guy in big suit. There was some good stuff happenin'. Also Trevor Horn was doin' impressive work everywhere.

* both videos for Let's Dance and China Girl were filmed in Sydney durin' that tour. Great videos. A suntanned and healthy Bowie. In an outback pub, on Parramatta Road, in Chinatown and then Bondi Beach.
          Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 01-05-2023, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Hmmmmm…I own 30 out of 40. Five favorites:

War
            Synchronicity
            Holy Diver
            The Final Cut

However, I’m disappointed that Murmur by R.E.M. isn’t included.
            “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Working...
            X