Neal Schon Sues Jonathan Cain Over Journey Credit Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neal Schon Sues Jonathan Cain Over Journey Credit Card

Click here for an article about the aforementioned situation.

It seems pretty clearcut that Cain is in the wrong. Also, to be totally honest, I don't like the people Cain hangs out with, or his wife. His attempt to politicize Journey as part of some sort of Trump fan club is bad for the band and it's reputation and, though it's entirely possible to associate with a bunch of people with questionable financial dealings without doing anything wrong in that arena yourself, seeing him being accused of financial wrong-doing is also somehow not surprising to me under the circumstances.

I don't know what his response is going to be in court, but it's hard for me to even think of a reasonable rationale for preventing the guy who owns the other 50% of your band from seeing the expenditures made on behalf of the band.

American Express is hands down the hardest to deal with financial institution that I've ever had to deal with to deal with, so I could see Cain potentially having authorized Schon to view the records and AmEx claiming not to have gotten the the authorization, but even if that's the case, shouldn't Cain or his accountant have paper statements or PDFs that they could make copies of available to Schon, and then pay off and close the account afterwards in favor of a financial institution that actually follows their instructions?

I suspect Cain doesn't want Schon to see this stuff because it's stuff that shows some wrongdoing or is at least questionable (Either legally questionable or just things his bandmate would find irksome) financial activity Cain is conducting with the band's (and by extension partially Schon's) money.
    Last edited by downbyariver; 11-21-2022, 07:02 PM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Sounds like it's time to bring back Gregg Rolie!

Comment

Oye vey. Schon may be the only one left... It makes you wonder why Cain called a meeting a few years ago where Steve Smith and Ross Valory were trying to vote out Schon and Cain as controlling Journey. Even Steve Perry and Herbie Herbert voted for Steve and Ross!?? It was a failed coup. But for me, no Ross, no Journey... Sad to see what it has come to, like a lot of other bands having ungraceful endings....

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
        Click here for an article about the aforementioned situation.

It seems pretty clearcut that Cain is in the wrong. Also, to be totally honest, I don't like the people Cain hangs out with, or his wife. His attempt to politicize Journey as part of some sort of Trump fan club is bad for the band and it's reputation and, though it's entirely possible to associate with a bunch of people with questionable financial dealings without doing anything wrong in that arena yourself, seeing him being accused of financial wrong-doing is also somehow not surprising to me under the circumstances.

I don't know what his response is going to be in court, but it's hard for me to even think of a reasonable rationale for denying the guy who owns the other 50% of your band from seeing the expenditures made on behalf of the band.

American Express is hands down the hardest financial institution I've ever had to deal with to deal with, and I could see Cain potentially having authorized Schon to view the records and AmEx claiming not to have gotten the the authorization, but even if that's the case, shouldn't Cain or his accountant have paper statements or PDFs that they could make copies of available to Schon, and the pay off and close the account afterwards in favor of a financial institution that actually follows their instructions?

I suspect Cain doesn't want Schon is see this stuff because it's stuff that shows some wrongdoing or at least questionable (Either legally questionable or just thinks his bandmate would find irksome) financial activity Cain is conducting with the band's (and by extension partially Schon's) money.
        Cain visited the White House with a couple of his band mates, it isn’t like he signed up Journey to play at Trump’s inauguration without asking the rest of the band or something. Schon blew that situation out of proportion.

Schon could very well be misrepresenting the facts of the situation with the credit card, so it might not be as clear cut. But it does seem like a big problem, if true!

Sad if this leads to Cain leaving the band. Their latest album is pretty good!

Comment

The true journey was the lawsuits we made song the way.

Comment

It’s not the journey, it’s the destination, and the destination is court.

Comment

Band rebrands as “Attourney” for 2023…

Comment

Originally posted by Somis Sound View Post
                Oye vey. Schon may be the only one left... It makes you wonder why Cain called a meeting a few years ago where Steve Smith and Ross Valory were trying to vote out Schon and Cain as controlling Journey. Even Steve Perry and Herbie Herbert voted for Steve and Ross!?? It was a failed coup. But for me, no Ross, no Journey... Sad to see what it has come to, like a lot of other bands having ungraceful endings....
                Oh yes and a good reminder that these are just human beings. Talented in a particular area and fully human nonetheless. No need to erect pedestals and shrines.

Comment

(The travails of Journey and its members will just never not be funny to me, sorry not sorry…)

Comment

Have any of you guys been following the troubles of the band Live? Singer Ed Kowalczyk (who was out of the band for several years,) recently fired the rest of the band, most likely because of financial shenanigans unrelated to the band. The other three got involved with a shady York developer back in 2011, failed to pay back loans he advanced them, and apparently misrepresented their assets in the first place. Lawsuits and perhaps criminal charges await. Talk about a fall from grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Davy View Post
                      Have any of you guys been following the troubles of the band Live? Singer Ed Kowalczyk (who was out of the band for several years,) recently fired the rest of the band, most likely because of financial shenanigans unrelated to the band. The other three got involved with a shady York developer back in 2011, failed to pay back loans he advanced them, and apparently misrepresented their assets in the first place. Lawsuits and perhaps criminal charges await. Talk about a fall from grace.
                      Sounds like he may have left them there by themselves, chained to fate. Now he's going the "I alone" route, I suppose.

I haven't been following any of the drama surrounding them lately, but I do know of the band (In case anyone is wondering, those first two sentences are lightly modified lyrics from one of their songs). Throwing Copper was insanely popular when I was 10 or 12, and I still 30 years later have MP3s that I think trace their origins to the CD of the album I bought back then. Apart from that, I seemingly somewhat randomly have their decades more recent 717 EP (Named for a telephone area code in parts of Pennsylvania).

You can tell that they came into their fame before the Internet got big, because any band after that point would not be allowed to use a name like "Live" given how hard it could be to search for when almost every band in existence has a live album, goes on tour live, etc..

I never felt like they were really able to match what they did with Throwing Copper. They seemed to try some directions and had some success with them, but nothing ever really jumped out to me as something I needed to buy aside from TC.
                      Last edited by downbyariver; 11-23-2022, 02:03 PM.
                      "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Comment

Oh come on, give Johnathan a break.. What's the use of being an Evangelical Super-Christian if you can't hoard wealth from it?

Comment

I used to work at a place called Winterland Productions in beautiful San Francisco and in the building where we were located there were also offices for a law firm that had Journey as their client. The office was filled with Journey memorabilia of course and we always joked how easy that job must be (this was back in the late 80s). Little did we know how crazy things would get.

Comment

I hear a sequel to Spi​al Tap is in the works, but with Journey, man, why wait? Live it as it happens!

Comment

Cain is accusing Schon of excessive spending. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rol...234635997/amp/

Comment

Working...
                              X