Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rock Songs on Rooftops

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rock Songs on Rooftops

    Who does it best?


    We've had classic Beatles on top of the Apple Records buildin'.
    We've had U2 play in LA and do Streets With No Name on the top of some liquor store.
    We've had Coldplay perform on top of a Jordan temple.

    Now this week we have a new stunnin' version to add to the canon.
    Liam Gallagher's new song Better Days starts all swellin' strings and citywide panorama like a Bond film.
    The dawn sky above Manchester's CBD. Epic. On top of some hotel.
    Liam strides on. All simian swagger. Great drummin'. Big choruses. "Sunliiiiiiights in her hair"
    A big breezy summer song. Should go down well at Glastonbury soon. Another incredible vocal performance.
    Nice use of colour gradin' towards the end.

    https://youtu.be/Ob_1D1Y76Ac


    Click image for larger version  Name:	liam-gallagher-better-days-video-1392x884.jpg Views:	1 Size:	134.3 KB ID:	14209

    So out of them all, who does it best?

    And are there any others?
    Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 04-26-2022, 07:48 PM.

    #2
    No Beatles no rooftops.

    Comment


      #3
      Didn't Brian May play on top of Buckingham palace?

      Comment


        #4
        My favorite local L.A. singer/songwriter/guitarist.

        She's an extraordinary guitarist. Toured with Lindsay Buckingham.

        Janet Robin. On the roof.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
          Now this week we have a new stunnin' version to add to the canon.
          Liam Gallagher's new song Better Days starts all swellin' strings and citywide panorama like a Bond film.
          The dawn sky above Manchester's CBD. Epic. On top of some hotel.
          I'm just glad that they didn't save that one for the inevitable Oasis reunion. The way those two brothers used to go at it backstage, I'd be kind of worried about them spending a day recording a music video on a roof together. There's sort of an added element of danger to a fist fight that high in the air.

          It's sort of weird to see Liam visibly aging and hear his voice changing. It happens to everyone, but I guess the picture in my head (and the sound in my ear) when I think of him is him back in his Oasis days circa (What's the Story) Morning Glory?.
          "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by pianozach View Post
            My favorite local L.A. singer/songwriter/guitarist.

            She's an extraordinary guitarist. Toured with Lindsay Buckingham.

            Janet Robin. On the roof.

            Cool. She has real bite to her guitar. Groovy rock. Is that on top of the whiskey agogo?


            Imagine if the Beatles video had drones? Still they have the best crowd reaction. Dudes in suits. Old timey coppers Beards and fur coats on the lads look great.
            Classic.

            Now U2 also have great crowd reactions. Tons of boppin' workers. LA cops. Real cojones not to get any permission to do it. Hahahahaa. Bono in his element.
            Still no drones.

            Coldplay play for hours up there. Dawn. Then sunset. Drones appear for the first time. Spectacular view over ancient city. No crowd reactions except for a few young backpackers on roof with them. They actually shot a street walk video with crowds in my neighborhood, which was cool. King Street, Newtown, Sydney.

            Now Liam starts with cool drone shot. Roof is high up and yes, DBAR, a bit too dangerous to have both brothers up there. Liam looks good for fifty. Used to jog around Hampstead Heath. Henry possibly shared the same footpath with him? Heeèheee

            Now has a dodgy arthritic hip. There's not much crowd reaction. A few folks at windows. Probly a Sunday mornin' shoot.

            So for me Beatles are undeniably the first and best, followed by U2, Liam and Coldplay. It's a great
            Rock tradition. ACDC played on the back of a truck through Melbourne for Long Way to the Top.

            It breaks the 4th wall of performance. Intrudes into civil life. Elevates the humdrum.
            Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 04-27-2022, 12:02 PM.

            Comment


              #7
              I can let it be as much as the next fan, but not in place of the luck of the Irish..

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post

                Cool. She has real bite to her guitar. Groovy rock. Is that on top of the whiskey agogo?


                Imagine if the Beatles video had drones? Still they have the best crowd reaction. Dudes in suits. Old timey coppers Beards and fur coats on the lads look great.
                Classic.

                Now U2 also have great crowd reactions. Tons of boppin' workers. LA cops. Real cojones not to get any permission to do it. Hahahahaa. Bono in his element.
                Still no drones.

                Coldplay play for hours up there. Dawn. Then sunset. Drones appear for the first time. Spectacular view over ancient city. No crowd reactions except for a few young backpackers on roof with them. They actually shot a street walk video with crowds in my neighborhood, which was cool. King Street, Newtown, Sydney.

                Now Liam starts with cool drone shot. Roof is high up and yes, DBAR, a bit too dangerous to have both brothers up there. Liam looks good for fifty. Used to jog around Hampstead Heath. Henry possibly shared the same footpath with him? Heeèheee

                Now has a dodgy arthritic hip. There's not much crowd reaction. A few folks at windows. Probly a Sunday mornin' shoot.

                So for me Beatles are undeniably the first and best, followed by U2, Liam and Coldplay. It's a great
                Rock tradition. ACDC played on the back of a truck through Melbourne for Long Way to the Top.

                It breaks the 4th wall of performance. Intrudes into civil life. Elevates the humdrum.
                LOL. Drones.

                Problem is how LOUD they are. Only good when shooting a music video when the band is lipsynching.

                Comment


                  #9

                  THE Original Rooftop Rock Experience...
                  Last edited by Yesjim; 04-28-2022, 11:52 AM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	369354.f4c314b6.668x375o.162a045f5296.png
Views:	42
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	14408
                    The Ultimate in Rooftop Rock!!!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Where can he go? He's trapped. No. He can fly. He can fly from here!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        The stuff of Eddie Jobson’s nightmares.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Another fine entry,,,,,,,


                          GREATEST DAY

                          TAKE THAT



                          Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg-176.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	22629



                          https://youtu.be/zHzMLGH1Rfs



                          Beautiful colour graded film. Don't know the CBD rooftops they are standin' on. LA?

                          One of the great pop songs of recent times.
                          Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 08-02-2022, 12:21 AM.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            There's a scene in the film of Godspell filmed on the roof of the Twin Towers before completion. It's the second half of 'All for the Best': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWVpeXN5b5k

                            I loved this film as a kid!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              And does the Grateful Dead playing at the Pyramids count? [probably not]

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X