Steve Morse steps away from Deep Purple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steve Morse steps away from Deep Purple

Deep Purple guitarist Steve Morse has announced that he is stepping away from the band on a permanent basis. In April, Morse announced that he'd be going on hiatus from Deep Purple to look a
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

I'm sorry that his time with the band has passed. he really gave Purple a shot in the arm and seemed to be a big part of their writing on the albums they released during those years. What a great guitarist - he can play acoutsic Bach pieces all day long but can still play brilliantly in a loud rock context. I saw them perform many times with Morse over the years, he was every bit as capable as his predecessors in the band and he had a charismatic stage presence. I hope for the best with regard to his wife's health.

I am a fan of his replacement, Simon McBride. Aside from being able to handle all of the guitar parts, Simon can also sing very well. I've always felt that Purple could really benefit from an additional singer on tour - those songs are a lot for any one singer to handle without anyone singing along. If they record new music with Simon, I hope they use his voice on that as well, as opposed to having Gillan sing all of his own harmony parts.

Purple seemed to have toured a great deal over the years and this limited Morse's ability to tour with any of his side projects. Hopefully some day we might see him go out with Flying Colors or perhaps some sort of Dregs tour.

Comment

Sad set of circumstances for sure, but completely understandable. I really have enjoyed his time in the band. Especially the last 4 albums or so and live they always seemed to be having fun on stage. Best wishes to Janine as she battles this horrible disease.

Comment

Let's just say that I completely understand him. All the best to his wife and him.

Comment

I love Steve Morse - really a fine human being.

Comment

Great guy, incredible player (I'd have considered him for Yes had Steve quit) but...never a good fit for Purple imho. I just didn't enjoy his stuff with them.

Awful situation though. Truly wish them both the very best.

Comment

Aw man, that kills me. I absolutely love Morse, and have been lucky enough to see him twice in the Dregs, and once with his trio. A one of a kind man and a one of a kind musician. I hope his wife is able to turn a corner. I also hope they can find comfort in each other’s presence.

Comment

You hear so much in show business about ‘the show must go on’ all credit for Steve Morse for making this call. I wish him and his wife well.

Comment

Working...
                X