Deal breakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deal breakers

It’s a little unfair, but that seems to be the way it works. Sometimes a (relatively) small thing can put you off.

For me it’s vocals. The song can be perfect, and the band can play it perfect, but when the singer’s voice rubs me the wrong way, the deal is off.

What, if any, are your deal breakers?

Live bands . . . when the guitar is slightly out of tune.

Comment

It's your namby pamby, twiddly diddly, scritchy scratchy, high and mighty, righty tighty, poncy guitar players that get my goat. Gets right up my bum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thin_blue_line_grim.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	6660

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
        It's your namby pamby, twiddly diddly, scritchy scratchy, high and mighty, righty tighty, poncy guitar players that get my goat. Gets right up my bum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thin_blue_line_grim.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	6660
        Names, please....

Comment

Yeah, if I don't like the vocals then it can be ruined for me. That's a reason why I've never gotten into Sabbath; all respect to them as innovators but I don't like Ozzy as a vocalist.

If I feel like the song structure is lacking in some way - like it's just not developed well enough. Also if the lyrics are not to my taste. And I'm fine with what I would consider simple lyrics, or even cryptic ones. But sometimes a lyric just does not speak to me on any level.
          Rabin-esque
          my labor of love (and obsessive research)
          rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post

Names, please....
            Don't want to upset anyone here... 🙄

Comment

Don't want to upset anyone here... 🙄
              That's why I don't throw in the names of two later singers of some band that came to my mind immediatly... we are nice and wise guys, aren't we... ​​

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCologne View Post

That's why I don't throw in the names of two later singers of some band that came to my mind immediatly... we are nice and wise guys, aren't we... ​​
                Yeah, I always play nice! 😆😆😆

Comment

Vocals for me, too. Sometimes also lyrics. Most other irritations I can overlook, as long as a song is otherwise good. Oh, and suddenly sliding into falsetto - that makes me want to pack my ears away.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	thin_blue_line_grim.jpg Views:	43 Size:	12.8 KB ID:	6660
                    In common with others here, it's mainly vocals that trigger me. But I'm trying to work out what you mean by the above. While 'mentoning no names', I take it to mean that you don't like intricate, acoustic finger-picking. If so, all I can say is: how different we all are! But if you mean pointless metal shredding that adds nothing musical to the song, then I'm with you

Comment

Originally posted by ragtime View Post

In common with others here, it's mainly vocals that trigger me. But I'm trying to work out what you mean by the above. While 'mentoning no names', I take it to mean that you don't like intricate, acoustic finger-picking. If so, all I can say is: how different we all are! But if you mean pointless metal shredding that adds nothing musical to the song, then I'm with you
                      It's more your woodshedder "look at my chops" types .

As for my actual quote, you need to check out The Thin Blue Line starring Rowan Atkinson and the sublime David Haig (pictured as DI Grim).

Comment

It's more your woodshedder "look at my chops" types .

As for my actual quote, you need to check out The Thin Blue Line starring Rowan Atkinson and the sublime David Haig (pictured as DI Grim).
                        One of my all-time favourite comedy series. I have the series on DVD and once or twice a year I take them out and watch the series again

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post

One of my all-time favourite comedy series. I have the series on DVD and once or twice a year I take them out and watch the series again
                          Two short series, but absolutely hilarious. 🙂

"Your cock-up....................my arse!"

Comment

Two short series, but absolutely hilarious. 🙂

"Your cock-up....................my arse!"
                            "Officer Goody! Your head is just something you put your hat on, isn't it?!

Comment

One of my favourite bits is the 'sacrilege' joking on Star Trek:

Officer Goody: To boldly go where no man has gone before.

Captain Fowler: "to go boldly," laddie. Don't split your infinitives.

Officer Goody: Captain Kirk does.

Captain Fowler: Captain Kirk regularly accepts figures painted blue with plastic forehead extensions as beings from another planet. I think we may readily dismiss him as an authority on anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X