SECTOR I : 2112 (1976)

SECTOR II: A Farewell to Kings (1977)

SECTOR III: Signals(1982)

SECTOR IV: Counterparts (1993)

SECTOR V: Snakes & Arrows (2007)

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    I suppose a popular list for casual fans based on popular albums would be along the lines of:

SECTOR I - 2112
    SECTOR II - Moving Pictures
    SECTOR III - Signals
    SECTOR IV - Counterparts
    SECTOR V - Clockwork Angels

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post

Well, only to the extent that I think Permanent Waves, which science has proven to be the metric best Rush album, is more consistently solid from beginning to end, while Moving Pictures is a bit like 2112: known for the first side, rather less so than the second. I'll take Entre Nous and Different Strings over Witch Hunt and Vital Signs any day, and Natural Science over The Camera Eye any day/hour/minute.
    I don’t have a strong feeling either way, PW vs MP, I like Hemispheres in that group actually. I was just referencing that I believe MP is not overrated standing by itself. That’s Prob not what you meant exactly. I see your context now. Of all the rush lps, MP is prob the one I pull out the least - not because of quality, but because I heard it sooooo much.

Leave a comment:

• Dantalion Rides Again
    replied
    I CoS = far out sh!t
    II Permanent Waves but it's almost a 4 way tie, and I used to always say Hemispheres actually
    III Power Windows what is wrong with you people
    IV Counterparts
    V I'll take the Feedback EP over those other three honestly

If I ever get myself to read the Clockwork Angels novelization I just got (thank you Santa), I might rank that album higher, but as of now I'm not feeling connected to the story. Vapor Trails is famously difficult and I struggle with it for those reasons. Snakes & Arrows would have to be my second favorite of those four and is mostly awesome IMO.

Leave a comment:

• brianos
    replied
    sector I: Fly By Night
    sector II: A Farewell to Kings
    sector III: Signals
    sector IV: Counterparts
    sector V: Clockwork Angels

Leave a comment:

• Homemade Parachute
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post
    Overrated - disagree.
    Well, only to the extent that I think Permanent Waves, which science has proven to be the metric best Rush album, is more consistently solid from beginning to end, while Moving Pictures is a bit like 2112: known for the first side, rather less so than the second. I'll take Entre Nous and Different Strings over Witch Hunt and Vital Signs any day, and Natural Science over The Camera Eye any day/hour/minute.

Leave a comment:

• Gtkgasman
    replied
    Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post

Overrated… and overplayed…
    Overrated - disagree.
    Overplayed - agree.

Tom Sawyer for Rush, equates to Roundabout for Yes, when it came to radio play. For me anyway. My fav thing about Sirius in the car is i get to hear “other” tracks on the fly from bands I like.

Leave a comment:

• soundchaser09
    replied
    sector I: 2112
    sector II: Permanent Waves
    sector III: Hold Your Fire
    sector IV: Counterparts
    sector V: Clockwork Angels

Leave a comment:

• Homemade Parachute
    replied
    Sector I: Caress of Steel. I like Fountain of Lamneth over 2112 in terms of album-side epics, and CoS side A is stronger than 2112 side B.

Sector II: Permanent Waves. This sector is maybe the least "natural", being evenly split between the proggy diptych Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, and the new wave looking PW and MP, but PW has always been *the* favourite of mine: six songs, each and every one a distinct gem, and "bristling with energy".

Sector III: Signals. Absolutely.

Sector IV: Roll the Bones. My least-played of all the groupings, and a bit of a toss up between Counterparts and RtB, but RtB gets the nod for "Dreamline" and the sheer weirdness of "Roll the Bones" the song.

Sector V: Snakes and Arrows. Vapour Trails was a fantastic return to form, and is certainly better in its remixed form, but feels like too much *too much*; Clockwork Angels, meanwhile, suffered from a lyrical concept I just can't get behind, hashtag SorryNotSorry. "Far Cry", though, well, any album with that on it is going places…

Leave a comment:

• Homemade Parachute
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
    Three opinions and nobody's gone for Moving Pictures. Rank amateurs! 😆😆😆
    Overrated… and overplayed…

Leave a comment:

• Yorkshire Square
    replied
    Three opinions and nobody's gone for Moving Pictures. Rank amateurs! 😆😆😆

Leave a comment:

• Old Frothingslosh
    replied
    SECTOR I : Fly By Night- 1975 (finding their way)

SECTOR II: Permanent Waves- 1980 (near perfection)

SECTOR III: Grace Under Pressure- 1984 (terrific start to end, even with that 80's production)

SECTOR IV: Presto- 1989 (yet another quality album from start to end)

SECTOR V: Vapor Trails- 2002 (their back!!!, great album, although I do prefer the remix that was done years later)

Leave a comment:

• Yorkshire Square
    replied
    Nice one.

SECTOR I : 2112 (1976) - obviously the title track is a big draw, but side 2 has some real belters in Passage and Something for Nothing

SECTOR II: A Farewell to Kings (1977) - a hard choice, but this was my gateway drug to Rush as a teenager in the early eighties. Could have as easily been PW or MP.

SECTOR III: Signals(1982) - this sector starts strong and tails off. So I went for the first album!

SECTOR IV: Counterparts (1993) - I only discovered this sector in retrospect having drifted away after HYF. They're all strong efforts (even TFE in my opinion) but the energy of this album just sneaks it.

SECTOR V: Clockwork Angels (2012) - on the whole this sector is my least favourite by a long way. This is my favourite from the sector, but 3rd from bottom in my overall rankings of studio albums.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    started a topic RUSH - favorite albums by 'sector'

RUSH - favorite albums by 'sector'

For Rush fans -

Rush would generally release four studio albums and cap it off with a live album. Each four album run with its live album is called a 'sector', I've seen it. True, their last phase when they returned 2002-2015 had a live album for every tour, but still - four albums. The stopping point for each sector is its live album which comes after every four albums: Sector I: ends with All The Worlds A Stage, Sector II: Exit Stage Left, Sector III: A Show Of Hands, Sector IV: Different Stages, Sector V: R50. And we're counting the Feedback EP as a studio entry in Sector V so it would make 4.

What is your favorite Rush album by Sector? We're going by four album chunks, noy by years or eras. Here's mine:

SECTOR I : Caress Of Steel(1975) - underrated sword and sorcery classic that even the band overlooked. Add stack of Marvel Conan comics if desired.

SECTOR II: Hemispheres(1978) - the most 'prog' I suppose. Imagine if The Police had made Going For The One. La Villa Strangiato = magic.

SECTOR III: Signals(1982) - autumn atmosphere, wonderous synths. Almost went with Grace Under Pressure for its 80's-ness, but Signals is a top tier.

SECTOR IV: Presto(1989) - the bunny rabbit album, underrated songwriting, almost went with Counterparts(1993) - they were close.

SECTOR V: Vapor Trails(2002) - well, the others in this sector are more retrospective and have more of the Rush SOUND, but VT sounds like it has more of the Rush SPIRIT, if that makes any sense. It sounds like the next Rush album in a main sequence where Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork sound like time had passed and part of a later set. But hear the remixed version - it's been cleaned up and you can hear all the details previously covered up with nu-metal distortion. You can hear Rush in there. One small quip is no keyboards. But Fly By Night had no keyboards, so that's ok.

What's your favorite Rush album by "sector"?
Working...
X