Was Rush Better in the ’70s or ’80s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Rush Better in the ’70s or ’80s?

So what is the opinion of the good people on this forum?
    70s
    37.50%
    80s
    62.50%

I voted '70s but for me the sweet spot is late '70s/early '80s.
    Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

I voted for the 80s because I love every album they released in that decade. But I reckon the 70s will probably end up winning this poll.....

Comment

The answer, of course, is that they were better at different things in each decade… Clearly the 70s were the decade (well, call it six years) of growth and experimentation, but the 80s were a decade (again, call it four or five years) of refinement, finesse, and in some ways more emotional honesty in the lyrics. Yeah, I love "The Necromancer" as much as anyone (which may not actually be that much), but a lot of that early stuff seems silly (looking at you, "2112") compared to, say, "Subdivisions", which is a song I feel the truth of, you know? Mind you, there's also a level of sameness that creeps in in the 80s, so it peaks for me about midway through Power Windows, and then Hold Your Fire and Presto can slip through without making much of an impression. Permanent Waves, which bridges the decades, remains the best album, and is the safest choice on your Canadian citizenship application and/or border crossing interview.

Comment

My sweet spot is 2112, A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres, with Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals and Grace Under Pressure a close second.

So 70's for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post
            The answer, of course, is that they were better at different things in each decade… Clearly the 70s were the decade (well, call it six years) of growth and experimentation, but the 80s were a decade (again, call it four or five years) of refinement, finesse, and in some ways more emotional honesty in the lyrics. Yeah, I love "The Necromancer" as much as anyone (which may not actually be that much), but a lot of that early stuff seems silly (looking at you, "2112") compared to, say, "Subdivisions", which is a song I feel the truth of, you know? Mind you, there's also a level of sameness that creeps in in the 80s, so it peaks for me about midway through Power Windows, and then Hold Your Fire and Presto can slip through without making much of an impression. Permanent Waves, which bridges the decades, remains the best album, and is the safest choice on your Canadian citizenship application and/or border crossing interview.
            Agree with almost all of this except Hold Your Fire is one of my favourite Rush albums and I really like Presto as well

Comment

This is a tough one! I usually go back to the 70's records when I want to listen to Rush. But those first two 80's records are wonderful.
              I don't think they were better in either period - I do prefer the material from the 70's a little more perhaps, but it's close. And even though I prefer the earlier material to the later material, I feel that each member evolved a great deal as a player on the records over the years. The playing on all of their records is inspiring, right up to and including Clockwork Angels.
              Last edited by True; 10-21-2022, 05:39 PM.

Comment

permanent waves and moving pictures were amazing- but overall 2112, farewell to kings, hemispheres, fly by night take it for me against those and the remaining 80s albums but Rush has alot of great consistency over the years, even in the 90s and beyond, personally i love Clockwork Angels.
                The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

2112, A Farewell To Kings and Hemispheres.

Comment

It is a very rare instance where I prefer a band’s 80’s output to their 70’s output but in the case of Rush, I do.

Comment

Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure. What a run of albums. These were a big part of the soundtrack of my youth and while I love 70s Rush, I had to go with these. The remaining three ain't bad either!

Comment

Hmmm, can't possibly vote. Both eras were different. They weren't doing stuff like Xanadu and La Villa Strangiato in the 80's but nor did they have the synth textures and lyrics of stuff like The Pass or Mystic Rhythms on albums like Fly By Night either. Better at different things in each era. 70's Rush is a given, since the albums like 2112 are well loved and iconic. When a lot of fans think of 80's Rush, they probably are thinking of Power Windows-type Rush, and I suppose kinda think of Moving Pictures (1981) as more in line with the 70's Rush. But their albums were aways an evolution from the previous one.

Grace Under Pressure is the first 'new' album I bought, so I have a soft spot for the 80's era when I was big on Rush. And since the 70's albums were already there for me to work backwards towards, I consider all the albums of the 70's and 80's to be 80's albums. It was good to come into it in 1984 because we had 10 albums already there and another 10 to discover throughout the years to come. So I suppose I'll vote 80's, though I'm sure most will pick 70's. I grew up on Rush. A more even match up would be 80's vs. 90's or 90's vs. 21st century Rush (Vapor Trails through Clockwork Angels).

I like Hemispheres and By-Tor and Didacts and Narpets as much as the next guy, but the 80's period did have well crafted songs with lyrics that were a bit more emotional and relatable - Subdivisions, Kid Gloves, Emotion Detector, Time Stand Still, War Paint, Middletown Dreams, the list is long. In fact the 80's Rush can even be seen as two eras in itself - that classic run of angular, futuristic and driving albums of Permanent Waves thru Grace Under Pressure (1980-1984) and the more lush, emotional and synth-orchestrated Power Windows, Hold Your Fire and Presto. Thumbs up for all of it.

Comment

For me, doesn't matter what decade. Rush was just Better

Comment

I can't really vote, because to me they hit their peak in the studio between 1977 and 1982. There's some good music on the first four albums, but they're also finding their way (no pun intended), especially on "Caress of steel". They try to write an "epic" with "The Fountain of Lamneth" and end up with a very boring track. But from "Farewell" to "Signals", they release their best albums ever.

After "Signals", it's just not my thing. Too much synths and sequencers, plus Geddy ditches the Rickenbacker for those horrible Steinberger and Wal basses and he sounds like crap, until he starts playing the Fender Jazz on "Counterparts".

After 1989, the studio albums are less inspired. There's some good music once in a while. My favorite post-"Signals" is "Clockwork Angels". They really ended on a high note.

Comment

Originally posted by michelforest View Post
                              They try to write an "epic" with "The Fountain of Lamneth" and end up with a very boring track.
                              Le what? “Boring”? This doesn’t just insult me, it insults my country!

Comment

Working...
                              X