Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Dark Side Floyd

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pre-Dark Side Floyd

    Very much my favourite era of Pink Floyd, from Piper at the Gates of Dawn up to Meddle. I lost interest altogether with The Wall which, although I bought it on release, I gave away a few weeks later.
    ​​​​​​I've spun CDs of Atom Heart Mother this afternoon, followed now by Umma Gumma.
    ​​​​​​My favourite Floyd album is A Saucerful of Secrets.
    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

    #2
    Meddle is my favorite of that era, and I also enjoy More and Obscured By Clouds. Although I appreciate the experimentation they were doing, not a lot of it holds my interest in the long run. But I know there are a lot of fans of the Syd era and the transitional phase.
    Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

    Comment


      #3
      Heeeheeee...
      Can I admit I've only listened to DSOTM, WYWH+TW? Is it really worth the effort for the rest?



      ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

      Comment


        #4
        I mean, it depends on how curious you are about that era. I would definitely recommend Meddle, and also Animals if you've never heard it. The Final Cut is rather divisive, but I think it's a great work of social commentary and also an amazing audiophile experience. But I think it's always worth a go to make your way through the oeuvre just to maybe understand Syd's whimsical savant genius and the band's drive to evolve and innovate once Gilmour joined.
        Rabin-esque
        my labor of love (and obsessive research)
        rabinesque.blogspot.com

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
          Heeeheeee...
          Can I admit I've only listened to DSOTM, WYWH+TW? Is it really worth the effort for the rest?



          ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING
          It's worth my effort, since I prefer the more psychedelic soundscapes and experimental stuff, before they went all slick and hi-fi, but I can't say if it would be worth yours. That question only you can answer......

          PS: I like the post Dark Side albums, up to Animals, though that's only three albums, I realise. Saw them on the Animals tour in 77.

          PPS: The Floyd at Pompeii film is one of my favourite concert films, even though there's no audience present. Amazing location!
          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

          Comment


            #6
            Meddle and Atom Heart Mother are both among my favourites. Relics is a good overview of their early years. I agreed with Luna about seeing the evolution once Gilmour joined and his guitar skills developed. The Final Cut was the the first Floyd album I brought and I still love it but it is a very much a Waters project.

            Comment


              #7
              Ok. Will listen to Animals. Now.




              ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

              Comment


                #8
                "Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream....."
                Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Animals is a good listen. That Floyd sound is locked in. Mid tempo drums,bass. Underpinning organ. Bluesy-spacey guitar. Surprised this followed DSOTM and WYWH as it seemed less engaging, DSOTM is one mindblowing song after another. Totally floors you. This is flatter and needs repeated listens. A step backwards? Not qualified to really answer that. TW will follow with tons of wellcrafted songs, some even pop songs. Animals is a more challenging listen. Will return.


                  ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                    Animals is a good listen. That Floyd sound is locked in. Mid tempo drums,bass. Underpinning organ. Bluesy-spacey guitar. Surprised this followed DSOTM and WYWH as it seemed less engaging, DSOTM is one mindblowing song after another. Totally floors you. This is flatter and needs repeated listens. A step backwards? Not qualified to really answer that. TW will follow with tons of wellcrafted songs, some even pop songs. Animals is a more challenging listen. Will return.


                    ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING
                    When I first bought The Wall back in the olden days when it came out, I felt it would have been better as a single album. Obviously very much dominated by Waters' vision and narrative, the others didn't seem to get much of a chance to contribute. Some of it I like a lot though.
                    it took me a while to get into Animals. I remember Floyd fans accusing them of 'going punk', it was 1977, and calling them Punk Floyd! Bit silly now, with hindsight. I think it's a very strong album now, from start to finish, more so than Wish You Were Here. Parts of it to me hark back, instrumentally, to the very first album, and Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine.
                    Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                    Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                      When I first bought The Wall back in the olden days when it came out, I felt it would have been better as a single album. Obviously very much dominated by Waters' vision and narrative, the others didn't seem to get much of a chance to contribute. Some of it I like a lot though.
                      it took me a while to get into Animals. I remember Floyd fans accusing them of 'going punk', it was 1977, and calling them Punk Floyd! Bit silly now, with hindsight. I think it's a very strong album now, from start to finish, more so than Wish You Were Here. Parts of it to me hark back, instrumentally, to the very first album, and Interstellar Overdrive and Astronomy Domine.
                      The co-producer/engineer on that album is a friend of mine, and has told me through the years that the narrative regarding the album's creation is rather twisted. Although Roger does appear to dominate in terms of the concept and songwriting, all four of them contributed a great deal in terms of realizing the final sound and it was an album made by all of them (as well as other contributors). It was so big an undertaking they needed other people to help out.

                      I absolutely believe that Animals is Punk Floyd - it has the energy and social commentary which punk was striving for at the time, just as rendered through the Floydian aesthetic.
                      Rabin-esque
                      my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                      rabinesque.blogspot.com

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                        Very much my favourite era of Pink Floyd, from Piper at the Gates of Dawn up to Meddle. I lost interest altogether with The Wall which, although I bought it on release, I gave away a few weeks later.
                        ​​​​​​I've spun CDs of Atom Heart Mother this afternoon, followed now by Umma Gumma.
                        ​​​​​​My favourite Floyd album is A Saucerful of Secrets.
                        A Saucerful of Secrets is my top PF album as well.

                        Then Meddle.....Animals....WYWH.......PatGoD......AHM.. ....UmmaGumma......(Not necessarily in that order)

                        I loved The Wall when it first came out....But, it has become a hard listen over the years.
                        Radio destroyed DSotM for me and I originally loved that album.

                        I have re-discovered their early years thanks to Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets which I think was an awesome idea.

                        All in all..... I like it all but, I really like their early years compared to what came after.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Floyd and Yes are easily my favorite two bands…

                          Though I like everything Floyd did, the pre Darkside stuff has the real cutting edge and magic for me. Especially the live recordings from 1969 - 1971. More is probably my favorite album by anyone. It never ceases to take me somewhere when I listen to it.

                          Relics is a great starting point for those that only know the 10x platinum albums and singles.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
                            Heeeheeee...
                            Can I admit I've only listened to DSOTM, WYWH+TW? Is it really worth the effort for the rest?
                            I think it comes to this: If you prefer music that shows an artist arriving at their destination, those three albums are fine. If you prefer the journey and searching to the actual destination, then the earlier stuff is going to be for you. Either way, there’s no wrong answer. Lots of good music from those lads.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Chrisklenox View Post

                              I think it comes to this: If you prefer music that shows an artist arriving at their destination, those three albums are fine. If you prefer the journey and searching to the actual destination, then the earlier stuff is going to be for you. Either way, there’s no wrong answer. Lots of good music from those lads.
                              Wise words. Taken on board.


                              ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X