Pink Floyd Unveil ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ 50th Anniversary Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pink Floyd Unveil ‘Dark Side of the Moon’ 50th Anniversary Set

Pink Floyd announced the 50th anniversary box set of 'The Dark Side of the Moon' in January 2023.

Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-Pink-Floyd-Dark-Side-set.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	35548

Arguably the GOAT pieces of music

Comment

Unfortunately I won't be able to review this one as all my audio equipment was written off as a loss in the housefire BUT I am interested to read other's opinions regarding the Atmos mix, this was James & Joel's first time using the technology.
      Rabin-esque
      my labor of love (and obsessive research)
      rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
        Unfortunately I won't be able to review this one as all my audio equipment was written off as a loss in the housefire BUT I am interested to read other's opinions regarding the Atmos mix, this was James & Joel's first time using the technology.
        Sorry to hear about your house fire. As someone who had his house burn down in the distant past it is a stressful event. Insurance is necessary. No one knows when a catastrophic event can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
          Very sorry to hear of your housefire. Hope better times are coming for you.

Comment

This box belongs in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Lame as far as new content is concerned. There is nothing previously unreleased. The bootleg dump from a few weeks ago is way more interesting. But I’m happy about this in a way, because it means I can skip this one without feeling like I’m missing out on anything.
            “Well ain’t life grand when you finally hit it?”-David Lee Roth

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
              This box belongs in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Lame as far as new content is concerned. There is nothing previously unreleased. The bootleg dump from a few weeks ago is way more interesting. But I’m happy about this in a way, because it means I can skip this one without feeling like I’m missing out on anything.
              This is pretty much how I felt and I got a good laugh out of RNRHO Lame! I'm guessing their target audience is people who want updated vinyl for their turntable (and that's not me).

Comment

Originally posted by Frumious B View Post
                Let me quote (from memory) a commentary that I read in the Penguin's Jazz Records Guide, about the umpteenth reissue of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme": "You wonder how many ways the label will find to slice this salami."

This is how I feel about this one. Another way to grab more money from collectors who really must have everything.

Comment

Money!

(couldn’t resist…)

Comment

I see all the fascinating artwork from Pink Floyd's career, including the prism/spectrum(rainbow) artwork that some folks have gotten their skirts all twisted over.

But through the years there's been some rather interesting OTHER artwork. The original DSotM came with a poster that featured pyramids. The pig over the power station. A cow. A beach full of beds.

Enough crazy-ass artwork to start several conspiracy theories.

Comment

Maybe it's me getting older and more narrow minded, but I'm over these really overpriced super deluxe releases. If you like them great, but for me just not worth it

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post
                        Maybe it's me getting older and more narrow minded, but I'm over these really overpriced super deluxe releases. If you like them great, but for me just not worth it
                        The other day when news of this first broke, the Amazon US link for the set wasn't working, so I couldn't see what the price was, but irrespective of the price, I figured I'd just get the standalone live disc instead. Then when the story broke about people losing what passed for their "minds" over the "rainbow" being used on the box, I thought, hah, I'll just go ahead and get the deluxe set after all. But now that I see it's listing currently for $300, no way! That is beyond ludicrous. I think I'll be sticking with the live disc, which is $13 by itself.

Comment

The same Wembley disc is in both the Immersion box and the Experience edition from 2011. It might not even be a new mix or mastering.

Comment

The Immersion box also features some additional live tracks from Brighton 1972. Where is the rest of that show? The early Dark Side performances are fascinating with so many differences from the finished album.
                            Last edited by Frumious B; 01-21-2023, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Frothingslosh View Post
                              I have never been into them. I really don't need 20 demo versions of all the songs of a certain classic album. How much will I play those instead of the actual songs?

The only box I ever got was the Yes progeny set and I even sort of regret that, because it's not like I ever listen to the seven discs in a row. I think in hindsight the highlights disc would have been sufficient.
                              Last edited by Mr. Holland; 01-21-2023, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X