X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• luna65
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiritual Architect View Post
    It looks like you love to write. Does a line like “to defeat the sonic portraiture“ just pop into your head - or did you spend ten minutes agonizing over the right words?​
    I do! Thank you for noticing. It's a little of both, maybe? My only talent - if I could be said to have one - is for writing, and I also have a tendency to be hyperarticulate, but at the same time I can spend a lot of time crafting a sentence. This review took me over a month to write, and since I was fortunate enough to receive a test pressing of the Blu-ray in July, I had oodles of time to listen obsessively, take lots of notes, and slowly work out my perspective.

Leave a comment:

• Gilly Goodness
    replied
    Great stuff Julie or as we would say down here, Skaggsie. Will return to the album that I've only recently heard. Thanks to a thread on here discussin' Floyd's early work which I naively assumed inc. Animals. I was in Year10 when it came out. Really should've heard it then. Everyone was playin' DSOTM in low lit rooms. Will also reread your essay.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritual Architect
    replied
    Originally posted by luna65 View Post
    But Roger was not interested in hiring him and SW did do a mix of one of David's solo projects for David on spec which David did not like, so at least in terms of the band being in control, they're not interested.
    That's Interesting.

I have only sat down and listened to the original album a half-dozen times at most and I always tune out the lyrics. I never play the first and last songs. Strange I know, but we were forced to read `Animal Farm` in high school and I always thought the whole scenario was DUMB. So I never cared for the album. We were forced to read `1984` too and I would have liked that better, but I guess Bowie tried that and they said “No”.

I read your write up again and will now have to go back and listen to the original album with fresh ears.

“The airy shimmery guitar punctuated by brief touches of synth which moves ever closer to the listener is gorgeous and yet expectant, a certain tension inherent.”

It looks like you love to write. Does a line like “to defeat the sonic portraiture“ just pop into your head - or did you spend ten minutes agonizing over the right words?

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    Thank you, sir!

Leave a comment:

• Ash Armstrong
    replied
    Outstanding piece of critical writing, highly informative, and a pleasure to read.

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    Thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

SW did do a lot of lobbying to perform the mix - he even offered to do it on spec, which is actually quite unprofessional but of course he can afford to because that's not his only source of revenue. But Roger was not interested in hiring him and SW did do a mix of one of David's solo projects for David on spec which David did not like, so at least in terms of the band being in control, they're not interested. However, after the catalog sale? Who knows? He might manage to slither in there after all, but since his favorite album has already been done he might lose interest.

ETA: of course the other thing is that while the principles aren't particularly loyal to anybody they do know James will perform according to their standards (and he has the Grammys to prove it) so of course he's the logical choice for them.
    Last edited by luna65; 09-15-2022, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritual Architect
    replied
    That is an EXCELLANT review Julie M. So detailed that the only thing I am left wondering is why the band did not have their bastard child Steven do the remix.

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    I was fortunate enough to be provided advance copies of the 5.1 and the stereo and my review has been published today:
    https://www.pinkfloydz.com/pink-floy...ly-widescreen/

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    No, there's no bonus material at all.

Leave a comment:

• Soundwaveseeker
    replied
    I haven't heard the new mix, so I'm on the fence for this one. I do love the original Floyd classic and wonder if such a thing can be improved on. I don't think it has any bonus tracks that I know of.

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    See I don't get that at all...but we all perceive things differently. I can't say how or why I know just yet, but in its' best format, the new mix is revelatory and extremely pleasurable.

Leave a comment:

• Frumious B
    replied
    Everything in the new mix has this weird, disembodied quality, especially noticeable on Gilmour’s vocals and guitar. I think I prefer the force and the cohesiveness of the original.

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    James is a thorough traditionalist and came up in the Analog(ue) era, so I wonder if that perceived quality (for some people) has to do with the overall clarity which is now the norm in audio recordings (for the most part, that is). But again, if it sounds a certain way, it's because the band wanted it that way.

Leave a comment:

• pianozach
    replied
    Originally posted by luna65 View Post

I will say that all three have an equal say in the new mixes for any of the projects which involved all three. So it wasn't a case of only David giving notes. However, this project began with the band wanting to bring the recording to a level which they previously desired but were unable to achieve at the time.
    Remixes are a rather interesting thang.

In the case of Pink Floyd, bringing up the vocals and guitars seem to be a nod to how things are mixed TODAY.

Same thing happened when Beatles albums were remixed . . . all that funky stereo separation was retooled so that bass, drums, and vocals were center - a bit more 'generic', as opposed to the more experimental mixes of yesteryear.

Leave a comment:

• luna65
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
    Animals is my second favourite Floyd album after DSotM. If the new mix would purely have been cleaning up the slightly muffled sound, I would probably have liked it better than the original. But as some have commented, the shift in balance, David's voice and guitars more to the forefront, makes it soso for me. It does kind of give away who has control over anything Floyd these days 😉
    I will say that all three have an equal say in the new mixes for any of the projects which involved all three. So it wasn't a case of only David giving notes. However, this project began with the band wanting to bring the recording to a level which they previously desired but were unable to achieve at the time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X