No announcement yet.

New remix of Animals (preview)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was fortunate enough to be provided advance copies of the 5.1 and the stereo and my review has been published today:
    https://www.pinkfloydz.com/pink-floy...ly-widescreen/
    Rabin-esque
    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

That is an EXCELLANT review Julie M. So detailed that the only thing I am left wondering is why the band did not have their bastard child Steven do the remix.

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment.

SW did do a lot of lobbying to perform the mix - he even offered to do it on spec, which is actually quite unprofessional but of course he can afford to because that's not his only source of revenue. But Roger was not interested in hiring him and SW did do a mix of one of David's solo projects for David on spec which David did not like, so at least in terms of the band being in control, they're not interested. However, after the catalog sale? Who knows? He might manage to slither in there after all, but since his favorite album has already been done he might lose interest.

ETA: of course the other thing is that while the principles aren't particularly loyal to anybody they do know James will perform according to their standards (and he has the Grammys to prove it) so of course he's the logical choice for them.
        Last edited by luna65; 09-15-2022, 10:03 AM.
        Rabin-esque
        rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Outstanding piece of critical writing, highly informative, and a pleasure to read.
          Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
          Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Thank you, sir!
            Rabin-esque
            rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
              But Roger was not interested in hiring him and SW did do a mix of one of David's solo projects for David on spec which David did not like, so at least in terms of the band being in control, they're not interested.
              That's Interesting.

I have only sat down and listened to the original album a half-dozen times at most and I always tune out the lyrics. I never play the first and last songs. Strange I know, but we were forced to read `Animal Farm` in high school and I always thought the whole scenario was DUMB. So I never cared for the album. We were forced to read `1984` too and I would have liked that better, but I guess Bowie tried that and they said “No”.

I read your write up again and will now have to go back and listen to the original album with fresh ears.

“The airy shimmery guitar punctuated by brief touches of synth which moves ever closer to the listener is gorgeous and yet expectant, a certain tension inherent.”

It looks like you love to write. Does a line like “to defeat the sonic portraiture“ just pop into your head - or did you spend ten minutes agonizing over the right words?

Comment

Great stuff Julie or as we would say down here, Skaggsie. Will return to the album that I've only recently heard. Thanks to a thread on here discussin' Floyd's early work which I naively assumed inc. Animals. I was in Year10 when it came out. Really should've heard it then. Everyone was playin' DSOTM in low lit rooms. Will also reread your essay.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritual Architect View Post
                  It looks like you love to write. Does a line like “to defeat the sonic portraiture“ just pop into your head - or did you spend ten minutes agonizing over the right words?​
                  I do! Thank you for noticing. It's a little of both, maybe? My only talent - if I could be said to have one - is for writing, and I also have a tendency to be hyperarticulate, but at the same time I can spend a lot of time crafting a sentence. This review took me over a month to write, and since I was fortunate enough to receive a test pressing of the Blu-ray in July, I had oodles of time to listen obsessively, take lots of notes, and slowly work out my perspective.
                  Rabin-esque
                  rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X