Saga's Take a Chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saga's Take a Chance

Canada's second best known prog rock-leaning band, Saga, mere decades before they shared a cruise ship with Yes, included a song called "Take a Chance" on their 1985 album, Behavior.

I find the beat very catchy and when I first heard the Saga song, it had a haunting my dreams kind of quality where I "knew" I had heard the beat a million times before, but all some time ago, and I could never remember what other song had this same beat I really liked or the band that performed it. Actually, I'd say this song's beat isn't quite an exact match for what's in my head, but the difference is miniscule and could come from a bad memory.

I mean, maybe only Saga has done it.

The only thing is, I really didn't listen to much Saga prior to the last few years. Unless the song happened to be in heavy rotation for a few months in 2001 when I had this Canadian music video channel I used to listen to, I don't know where I would have heard it, which makes me think maybe there's more than one origin.

Last edited by downbyariver; 12-24-2022, 12:16 AM.
    "A lot of the heavier conversations I was having with Chris toward the end were about his desire for this thing to go forward. He kept reiterating that to me. [...] He kept telling me, 'No matter what happens, Yes needs to continue moving forward and make great music. So promise me that that's something you want to do.'. And I have to keep making music. It's just what I do. [...] I'm a fan of the band and I want to see it thrive and that means new music." -Billy Sherwood

Absolutely love Saga - my second favorite Canadian band second only to the mighty Rush, FM my third. Behaviour is a pretty solid album, and I like Take A Chance a lot too. It has that shuffle-type rhythm, and nice keyboard/guitar mix. Other great songs on there, Goodbye Once Upon A Time, Here I Am, and the title track, all good. You And The Night has a Avalon-era Roxy Music vibe. Pretty good rock/pop/prog type album. With Behaviour, I think Michael Sadler became a better singer starting with this album, more of a lead singer type than being just the guy that does the vocals in Saga. He got better as he went along. They may also be the only band I know of that has 'lead keyboards' in the credits. Love Saga.

Comment

Fab song by a great and overlooked band, although I confess I often use their popularity in Deutschland to make fun of my German friends… I’m reasonably sure if it hadn’t been for CanCon I never would have heard them, or FM, growing up, so hooray for MAPL!

Comment

Originally posted by downbyariver View Post
        Canada's second best known prog rock-leaning band, Saga, mere decades before they shared a cruise ship with Yes, included a song called "Take a Chance" on their 1985 album, Behavior.

I find the beat very catchy and when I first heard the Saga song, it had a haunting my dreams kind of quality where I "knew" I had heard the beat a million times before, but all some time ago, and I could never remember what other song had this same beat I really liked or the band that performed it. Actually, I'd say this song's beat isn't quite an exact match for what's in my head, but the difference is miniscule and could come from a bad memory.

I mean, maybe only Saga has done it.

The only thing is, I really didn't listen to much Saga prior to the last few years. Unless the song happened to be in heavy rotation for a few months in 2001 when I had this Canadian music video channel I used to listen to, I don't know where I would have heard it, which makes me think maybe there's more than one origin.

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go from Wham! (George Michael) has a similar groove, although it's slightly slower.

Comment

Working...
        X