Downes Braide Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downes Braide Association

Very pop-prog. Like latterday Yes. Expansive.
    Melodic. Am slow to the party. Know Henry and others have been singing their praises but took me awhile to check them out. Just listened to Skyscraper Souls, 18 minutes of shifting melodies, narration and quite good guitar breaks. Plus Braide can sing, relaxed, natural with a hint of Al Stewart in his tone. Noice. Geoff has backed a good horse here. If next gen Yes is not for him maybe he should gravitate his energies to this. Wonder if they will tour?

ELECTRIFY EVERYTHING

Is noice, nice or nonce? ๐Ÿค”

Anyway, they're my band of the moment.

Comment

There's a live album, so they've done gigs if not maybe an actual tour.

Comment

Noice. Different. As Kath and Kim would say. High praise. Like discovering sun dried tomatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkshire Square View Post
          There's a live album, so they've done gigs if not maybe an actual tour.
          They planned a one-off gig a couple years ago at Trading Boundaries, on February 14th. Management let me know me they had added an additional show the following night, before it was announced, when I said I had to work. The shows were a huge success, and what was a studio band/project intially, both Chris, Geoff and others do have interest in touring this project. Here's hoping. Every album is great, and they have surrounded themselves with a bunch of uber talented folks.

Really, really wish I had flown over there had I known about what the pandemic was going to do to the world. But I couldn't justify rush, rushing with a six hour difference, and February isn't the most opportune time for exploring England that I would want to do if I had spent that kind of money to fly over there, and back..

Comment

So just found out Halcyon is an Asian kingfisher genus. Bright blue plumage. Also a word for fondly remembered times. Long summer days. Your first girlfriend. Your children playing all day on the green grass beneath green trees. Now I understand the cover of Halcyon Hymns. Genius. By all concerned.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks to Henry's incomparable site, learnt that a new DBA album is COMING SOON.

CELESTIAL SONGS is the working title.

Masters have been dropped off. Roger has done another brilliant cover. Am as excited for this like a new YES album. Tremblin' in fact. Sizzlin' like an isotope. Now to go and watch the LIVE paintin' sessions. On youtube. Bliss!

Click image for larger version  Name:	275849584_536316187857142_6831728318780605358_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.2 KB ID:	11938
              Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 04-05-2022, 11:49 PM.

Comment

LIGHTHOUSE

https://youtu.be/OIGclE4uWHc

This should be an audition tape for Chris Braide to be a part of NextGen YES.
                World class songwriter, singer. Juano should team up with him and write anthems for the future.
                is that a pipe dream? Sadly I think it is.

Comment

I just ordered the live album. I have the first three, but I don't have Halcyon Hymns and now they're almost ready with a new one - I have some catching up to do! I like what I hear from DBA - the songs are more in the ballpark of the dreamy, wistful, romantic and nostalgic than a lot of Yes material, which is fine by me. Lyrically you get the sense of longing for the England of their youth, a bittersweet aura throughout their songs going back to the first one, Pictures of You. Such imagery is pretty universal and can often hit that emotional lever switch located somewhere in the heart.

Musically they're I suppose more in line with Buggles or the Producers album than a Yes one. I'm not sure if Geoff or Chris Braide imagined they would continue to be working together for multiple albums like this, but DBA has proven to be a fruitful collaboration producing quality music. It may have taken them by surprise as well that the music has been just flowing from them.

So DBA is something well worth my listening time. Great songs - Dreaming Of England, Skyscraper Souls, Songs That Can Heal, Glacier Girl, Sunday News Suite - all great stuff. I think I need Halcyon Hymns. Love the Dean artwork.

Comment

Fans of Chris Braide should also definitely check out This Oceanic Feeling - a trio with Lee Pomeroy and Ash Soan, one album released in 2015 (Universal Mind). It's sort of '80s vibes, dream-pop like but with a rock edge.
                    Rabin-esque
                    my labor of love (and obsessive research)
                    rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by luna65 View Post
                      Fans of Chris Braide should also definitely check out This Oceanic Feeling - a trio with Lee Pomeroy and Ash Soan, one album released in 2015 (Universal Mind). It's sort of '80s vibes, dream-pop like but with a rock edge.
                      Will do. Music? It's an ongoin' adventure. ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

RADIO

This Oceanic Feeling

Great. Can hear Tears for Fears doin' this. Anthemic chorus. Mental health theme. Know Soan is one of the most in demand session drummers. Cinnamon bun is funky. As always.

PUT DOWN THE GUN

another interestin' theme. Gun. Violence.

As someone said on TOF fb page. "Sounds like a cross between YES and Prefab Sprout."
                        By way of TFF. Cool. That'll do.
                        Last edited by Gilly Goodness; 04-22-2022, 07:53 PM.

Comment

DBA gives me Buggles vibes for sure, an interesting combo!
                          The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                          -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                          -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Accordin' to Geoff on twitter today the new DBA album is due October with tour dates to come. So hopefully Geoff's memoir is out this year too. ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

Wheels are turnin'. Geoff tweets that they are doin' 2 videos for the Celestial Songs album due October.

Officially excited๐Ÿ˜

Comment

Working...
                              X