Eloy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eloy

Does anyone else like the German band Eloy? They've grown on me through the years and have most of their albums now. Led by guitarist Frank Borneman who also sings, lyrics are in English w/ total German accent. Some people don't go for the vocals, but I don't have a problem with them. It's one of their identifying features and fits the music. Musically they are a space rock/prog type band, not a 'kraut rock' band or Berlin School - closer to early Floyd or some Hawkwind than Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze. Early stuff like Floating (1974) is psychedelic heavy rock w/ organ & guitar, but they moved into a space rock kinda sound with sci-fi lyrics and some real cool keyboards. The 1977 album 'Ocean' is considered a popular title from them, but they have all sort of great stuff. Their period 1977-1984 is my favorite Eloy, them at their most cosmic. 'Metromania' from 1984 with the cool Rodney Mathews cover seems to get a negative reaction but it's solid futuristic rock, at least I like it. 'Silent Cries & Mighty Echoes' from 1979 is very Floydy. 80's Eloy got a little more focused but no less cosmic. Eloy are a fine group, I think I'll listen to them today.
Working...
X