The Canterbury Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
    I did pick up Rotters Club and enjoyed that a lot. Dave Stewart is underrated. I'll have to check out the other Hatfield stuff.
    Lots of people like the first Hatfield album, but it never entirely clicked for me. I prefer his work in National Health. I'd recommend Missing Pieces, most of which has Bill Bruford on drums.

Comment

I loves me some Caravan.

Does Gong fit into this kind of thing? or Camel? I greatly enjoy them too, regardless.

Comment

Added this to my shopping bag!
        • NEW 3CD CLAMSHELL BOXED SET OF THE THREE ALBUMS BY SPIROGYRA RELEASED BETWEEN 1971 AND 1973 • FEATURING THE ALBUMS ‘ST RADIGUNDS’, ‘OLD BOOT WINE’ AND ‘BELLS, BOOTS AND SHAMBLES’. WITH A FULLY ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET
        Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
        Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

I just acquired In The Land Of Grey & Pink by Caravan - I'm late to the Canterbury party, though have always liked prog stuff more or less. Golf Girl - I know I've heard that somewhere. I'll get more from these guys, hopefully before I get out of the current Canterbury listening phase.

Gong fits in the Canterbury sound, but I'm told that Camel isn't really considered a Canterbury group, despite having some Caravan members come and go, like Richard Sinclaire. But I've always loved Camel, regardless whether they're called Canterbury or regular prog rock. I was lucky to see them live once when did a US tour in 2003. I can happily tick that box that I've seen them. Top 5 Camels?

1) Rain Dances - magic!

2) Moonmadness - also magic, even some Yes/Tony Kaye vibes

3) I Can See Your House From Here - underrated, Latimer's solo on 'Ice' is one occasion where an instrumental can move you to tears. It's like it's being torn from his soul. He's a soulful player, like David Gilmour or Nick Barrett. Those three are in the top for soulful, mournful solos.

4) either Mirage or Breathless - I can't decide!

5) Single Factor - ok, it's 'poppy' with shorter tracks, but it's like a decent Alan Parsons Project album. Nothing to hate here. Anthony Phillips guests.

Oddly enough, Snow Goose isn't in my top tier, though many people place it as their first. That would be number 6 for me maybe. Love the Goose, but just like other ones a little more.
          Last edited by Soundwaveseeker; 04-23-2022, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I just acquired In The Land Of Grey & Pink by Caravan - I'm late to the Canterbury party, though have always liked prog stuff more or less. Golf Girl - I know I've heard that somewhere. I'll get more from these guys, hopefully before I get out of the current Canterbury listening phase.

Gong fits in the Canterbury sound, but I'm told that Camel isn't really considered a Canterbury group, despite having some Caravan members come and go, like Richard Sinclaire. But I've always loved Camel, regardless whether they're called Canterbury or regular prog rock. I was lucky to see them live once when did a US tour in 2003. I can happily tick that box that I've seen them. Top 5 Camels?

1) Rain Dances - magic!

2) Moonmadness - also magic, even some Yes/Tony Kaye vibes

3) I Can See Your House From Here - underrated, Latimer's solo on 'Ice' is one occasion where an instrumental can move you to tears. It's like it's being torn from his soul. He's a soulful player, like David Gilmour or Nick Barrett. Those three are in the top for soulful, mournful solos.

4) either Mirage or Breathless - I can't decide!

5) Single Factor - ok, it's 'poppy' with shorter tracks, but it's like a decent Alan Parsons Project album. Nothing to hate here. Anthony Phillips guests.

Oddly enough, Snow Goose isn't in my top tier, though many people place it as their Home That would be Uncategorized Groups for me maybe. Love the Goose, but just like other ones a little more.
            Camel tour programme 1978, Breathless tour. I saw them at De Montfort Hall Sept 15. Got backstage afterwards, which was pretty much the norm back then, and had my first joint from Jan Schelhaus.

Comment

It was great to see them with both Sinclairs and Mel Collins!

Comment

That's way cool, Breathless tour, I assume Pete Bardens was still there? And you can't go wrong with Mel Collins in a band, top notch saxophone. And you don't get any King Crimson vibe from his playing with Camel - totally different approach with them, less harsh and blowing jazz but more restrained yet beautifully melodic.

Comment

That's way cool, Breathless tour, I assume Pete Bardens was still there? And you can't go wrong with Mel Collins in a band, top notch saxophone. And you don't get any King Crimson vibe from his playing with Camel - totally different approach with them, less harsh and blowing jazz but more restrained yet beautifully melodic.
                  Bardens had left Camel earlier that year unfortunately. I think he worked with various ex-Camel folks on and off on solo projects in the 80s and 90s. He was in Van Morrison's band for a while as well. Sadly he's no longer with us. Died in 2005 from cancer.

Comment

Working...
                  X