First time hearing Marillion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time hearing Marillion?

Hi all. My first new topic post. So bear with me please.

I was wondering what everyone’s first listen to Marillion, was and what was your take at the time, and moving forward?

Mine was the first full listen to the Clutching at Straws at a newly met ‘friends’ house in college. She said she would put some cool music on. And when I heard I went “wow” what is this??!!!! I had to sheepishly admit that i hadn’t a clue, and although I then made the connection Kayleigh and lavender which got some radio play, I had never really known who it was. I think CAS had just come out. It was a real wow moment for me cause for me it was like this was a brand new band.

Now the friendship ship faded away quickly. Lol. BUT not my fondness of the band. Super big fan of the Fish era. And a big fan of the Hogarth era. For me it’s like two totally diff times. And I enjoy both. Don’t have all the newest releases but my back catalogue is pretty good. Only have a few if the fan releases tho.

Anyhow. I remember seeing various opinions on the band. But couldn’t remember any details. Good and Bad. And I was curious as I was about to throw CAS in ...

I think, probably, a BBC radio session. I saw them support Tull at the Nostell Priory festival in Wakefield before they even got a record contract, which I think, was about the same time they played Reading Festival and had two live tracks released on the official Reading album. Market Square Heroes and the mighty Grendel followed (a few months ?) after this.

Recollection is fuzzy, order may vary, but something like that.

Comment

Nice!

Oh. I should have noted that within a week I went out and purchased all of the first 4 CDs at once. Wee Three Records. 😉. And that wiped out all and more of my disposable income at the time! 😂

Comment

My fandom followed into Fish and his going solo, but sadly I didnt connect with Marillion without him.

Comment

I get that completely. I enjoy the fish solo also - live is my preference. If I want to play something loud - I chose fish era Marillion. If I am in a soft mood - I choose something from Hogarth era. I like the sweeping sound of Hogarth, Rothery, et al to relax.

Comment

Must confess to never having heard licketty-split from the boys. What's a good entry album?

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH

Comment

Originally posted by Gilly Goodness View Post
              Must confess to never having heard licketty-split from the boys. What's a good entry album?

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH
              I would say Misplaced Childhood and Clutching at Straws. Cause that’s how I came about. But any of the first four, starting in order would be fine to me.

Script for a jesters tear
              Fugazi
              MC
              CAS

I believe Mr Relayer1 is prob more of a detailed expert than me. He may have another opinion.
              Last edited by Gtkgasman; 12-09-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Cheers Gtk...will start from the start.

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH

Comment

First heard Assassing on the radio in Winnipeg, 1984, and it was love at first listen…

I’ve followed both eras of the band, and hopefully see the strengths in each: there’s certainly a lot to like in Hogarth-led Marillion, and I’d recommend Brave I’d you like the long, drawn out concept stuff; Afraid of Sunlight or Marbles if you want some great songs done as only they can do them, in addition to the already mentioned Misplaced, which is in my top 3 albums ever.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=plS-EwPjCbY

I'm an early Marillion fan.

Comment

Halloween 1981, Aylesbury Friars. They were added as a second support act for John Martyn on his Glorious Fool Tour, only for this gig I think.
                      No one had heard of them of course, but I was impressed by their musicianship. Theatricals were a bit derivative and somewhat silly: sticking syringes into a polystyrene head.....
                      Clearly they were enamoured of Gabriel-era Genesis, and Derek sooo wanted to be Peter Gabriel, and that was worn a little too obviously, but they shed that over time.
                      I bought the first album on release but lost interest fairly quickly. Possibly peer-pressure wa a factor in that. I didn't listen to them again until the FEAR album, which I think is superb! I was introduced to that via Doug Helvering's Daily Doug reaction video on YouTube.
                      I'm afraid I don't know any of their repertoire aside from that. It's unlikely that will change.
                      Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                      Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

i got hold of 4 marillion albums at once. Misplaced Childhood through to Holidays in Eden a very impressive band- lots of versatility, definitely similar to Genesis in the Fish years which was never a bad thing to me! But I do enjoy what they did with Steve Hogarth as well I was very impressed with Season's End on first listen.
                        Last edited by soundchaser09; 12-10-2021, 06:30 AM.
                        The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                        -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                        -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH
                          I would say Misplaced Childhood or Season's End. Though my favourite is Clutching at Straws.
                          The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                          -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                          -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Script on this morning. Is it lazy to immediately mention the early Genesis comparisons? Decent songs, playing, keys especially, actually reminded me instrumentally of Kate Bush and Pink Floyd. So a delightful englishness to the sounds/production.

Also nice cover. Again like KBush. All whimsy and theatre. And nice and intriguing title.

SAVE THE BOGONG MOTH

Comment

Is it lazy to immediately mention the early Genesis comparisons?
                              Maybe a little, but I never really got that comparison, either. Maybe I’m focusing on the lyrics and vocals, but Fish’s words always seemed a world away from Gabriel’s, and so the overall mood and atmosphere of the albums were so different as well.

For a lark, though, lookup Tony Banks & Fish together, on Shortcut to Somewhere…

Comment

Working...
                              X