Boz Burrell (1971-1972)
    0%
    John Wetton (1972-1974)
    44.44%
    Adrian Belew (1981-2009)
    29.63%
    Jakko Jakszyk (2011-present)
    0%

Wow this is a tough one indeed. I have to go with Adrian because he's our hometown guy!

Comment

Votes for AB, much as I enjoy (almost) all of them, as he is really the only one who fits the description of “frontman” as a focal point, a public face/persona, to the band, other than Robert Fripp, of course. Also the only vocalist to contribute substantially to lyric writing: yes, Wetton and Jakszyk wrote a few lyrics, but are more prolific outside of KC. Wetton was an amazing singer, for sure, and Jakszyk’s performances covering such a wide range of Crimson material, basically singing songs originally sung by everyone else on the list, is more than honorable, and quite astounding in its own right. But AB wrote the words, sang, played guitar, bantered with the audience (I think all the stage banter on The Great Deceiver is Bob “Chuckles” Fripp), so he gets the nod.

Comment

Adrian for me also. Greg Lake had arguably a better voice, but Adrian‘s vocals were top-notch as well, not to mention his guitar playing and songwriting. And, he was my hometown guy for a while too! And that goes without saying that those 80s Crimson albums were legendary.
        Last edited by Olorin; 07-08-2022, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Adrian is the only one I've seen live, so I have to go with him although I would put John second.
          Rabin-esque
          my labor of love (and obsessive research)
          rabinesque.blogspot.com

Comment

Lake, Wetton, Belew in that order. I voted for Lake.

GL - One of the greatest all time vocalists ever!! Lost him way way too soon. And lost JW way way too soon also - a truly nice man. Belews KC era cassettes were some of the first cassettes I ever bought.

Give me Lake’s Epitaph and Wetton’s Starless any time any day.

Comment

John Wetton for me, but interesting to see that the three main players are all neck and neck.

Comment

Definetly Adrian Belew for me, whose playful and quirky style of composing a very good portion of the stuff from 81 to 2003 defined that era which is the most thrilling one for me. And his guitar playing is not bad at all as well Favourite album might be the quite radical Heavy Construction from the 2000 tour. (I love the projects as well, by the way)

Followed by John Wetton impersonating the my second favourite Crimson-period from Larks Tongue to Red. I am not interested at all in the King Crimson-light version since 2014.

Comment

If 'frontman' means the vocalist, then John Wetton, followed by Jakko are my preferences. The 70s with Wetton were my introduction to King Crimson, Starless and Bible Black being the first album I heard one lunchtime at school, and subsequently bought. A revelation, and The Night Watch remains, probably, my favourite Krim song (and one of my favourite paintings...). Richard Palmer-James' lyrics are superb.
                  I regret never having seen that version of the Krim live.
                  I had to wait unti 2018 before I did see them live (Nottingham), and again in 2019 (RAH). Jakko was and is outstanding, both as a guitarist and singer, and the whole band were just astonishing.
                  I'm afraid I'd have to place Adrian Belew as my least favourite Krim singer. A fine guitar-player - he wouldn't have been in Zappa's band otherwise - but I disliked the sound of his voice (not keen on him singing City of Tiny Lites either), and his writing did little for me. His lyrics were mostly dreadful. Heartbeat still makes me Kringe.
                  I put together a CDR a few years ago of the instrumental tracks from the Discipline/Beat/Perfect Pair albums, and, if I say so myself, it's brilliant!
                  Sometimes the lights all shining on me, other times I can barely see.
                  Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it’s been.

Comment

Belew followed closely by Wetton for me. Greg Lake and Boz a Much loved 3rd and fourth. I don’t rate the other guys, personally, though I like Gordon enough on Lizard and Cadence and Cascade.

Comment

Wetton & Belew nearly tied for me, but voted for Wetton. My 2 favorite KC eras.

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                        Starless and Bible Black being the first album I heard one lunchtime at school
                        Dang, I want to send my kids to your school…

Comment

Originally posted by Ash Armstrong View Post
                          I'm afraid I'd have to place Adrian Belew as my least favourite Krim singer. A fine guitar-player - he wouldn't have been in Zappa's band otherwise - but I disliked the sound of his voice (not keen on him singing City of Tiny Lites either), and his writing did little for me. His lyrics were mostly dreadful. Heartbeat still makes me Kringe.
                          I put together a CDR a few years ago of the instrumental tracks from the Discipline/Beat/Perfect Pair albums, and, if I say so myself, it's brilliant!
                          Although I voted for AB, I can understand that reaction, too: Belew has occasionally had this "word salad" style of lyric writing that leaves me quite cold, but then he also sometimes gets at something quite elegant and lovely in a minimalist sense: Matte Kudesai, say, or One Time. And Heartbeat, sure, it's a solo song that I think everyone admits should have remained that way (ditto People and probably a few others), but they were short of material at the time. Sometimes solo material can become band material, but sometimes it should just stay that way… (I'm actually quite fond of Belew's solo stuff, too, where more of pop sensibilities can rise to the surface.)

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post

Although I voted for AB, I can understand that reaction, too: Belew has occasionally had this "word salad" style of lyric writing that leaves me quite cold, but then he also sometimes gets at something quite elegant and lovely in a minimalist sense: Matte Kudesai, say, or One Time. And Heartbeat, sure, it's a solo song that I think everyone admits should have remained that way (ditto People and probably a few others), but they were short of material at the time. Sometimes solo material can become band material, but sometimes it should just stay that way… (I'm actually quite fond of Belew's solo stuff, too, where more of pop sensibilities can rise to the surface.)
                            I like Elephant Talk a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Homemade Parachute View Post

Dang, I want to send my kids to your school…

A small group of us proggy lads were allowed access at lunchtime to a classroom with a record player by a teacher with similar tastes, whose name was Mr Friend. He taught geography. I think it was two or three times a week. This was 1974/5. We had no idea how fortunate we were, or what those lunchtimes would lead to...

Comment

Working...
                              X