Anyone catching the current Steve Hackett tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone catching the current Steve Hackett tour

I just saw him last night. Good lord what a show. If you like Genesis and Steve this is a must see show. He does not disappoint. He new drummer is killer. First tour since Steve starting touring Genesis stuff that he had a drum solo in it, and the solo is late in the show. Dude is awesome. The replay of Seconds Out is sweet to hear. Go see them if you can, we are hitting that time where even he will stop touring. This music will be gone to the tribute guys to try to play it. Wow what a night!

Yeah the new drummer is a powerhouse. But all his backing to a man I thought were terrific when I saw them a few months back. It's a really great rendition of all that material. Did he do the really short set at the beginning concentrating on solo material/the latest album?

Comment

He did 2 new ones that I recall and I think two old solo stuff, 20 min break, then into Seconds Out. With the break it was a 3 hr show. I left VERY impressed.

Comment

As was I. A terrific show. I'm not terribly enamoured by some of the Trick of the Tail material on Seconds Out, but there were no shortcomings performance wise. Hackett himself is in incredible nick and seems undiminished in his attack. Does he have one of those pictures in his attic?

Comment

Seeing it in a couple weeks. Can't wait!

Oddly enough, The Musical Box is in Los Angeles that same weekend.... strange tour planning !!!

Comment

I saw him 2 weeks ago in Wash Dc, he and his band were outstanding. I've said it before, but Hackett is the most successful member of the Genesis camp. Everyone else is retired for the most part but Steve Hackett keeps going - creating new albums and touring consistently. His new material does not embarrass. So in the long run, Hackett won out through consistency, perseverance and quality work. His band is tight. The drummer mentioned is Craig Blundel who has also worked with Steven Wilson, Pendragon and others. He is great.

They did play a somewhat short solo set featuring 2 trax from the recent album and classics from Spectral Mornings, etc. The second set was Genesis all the way, doing all of Seconds Out in its entirety, even extending some of the material. His band did the material justice. Sound-wise, excellent. And the best Genesis Revisited live version of Supper's Ready I had heard yet.

If he swings by you, go see Hackett & his Genesis Revisited tours. You will not be disappointed. If I nitpick, I could say I would have liked more solo material dragged out - he has gallons of albums. Some albums lost in the mist of time, but all good. But he did do ALL of Seconds Out and some, so the sets were a little lopsided in terms of short solo set and a longer than usual second set. Great show, no actual complaints. I can always count on Hackett for good shows and albums. Hackett doesn't seem to age. I think he may be a vampire.

Comment

I loved that they played a bit with the seconds out stuff. Not always sticking to the songs note for note.

Comment

We saw him in Atlanta about two weeks ago and it was an excellent show. We got Seconds Out and Selling England by the Pound so can't really ask for more than that, although I would love to see some solo tunes at some point.

Comment

Saw them 3 weeks ago at the 1st Collingswood, New Jersey show. Fantastic, as I've come to expect from Steve & his touring band!

Comment

Full disclosure: I'm 100% a Hackett guy. My only Genesis albums that I adore beyond measure are Nursery Cryme through Wind/Wuthering. After that, meh. Not a huge fan. I think Genesis in the 1980's was ok from a more pop point of view, but I'm a Hackett/Gabriel fan big time.

That being said, the reason Hackett has hung in there so long was largely based on playing music that Tony, Pete, and Mike wrote, especially Tony. A lot, if not most, of the tunes Steve plays on these tours are Tony and Pete material. His own solo stuff is ok. I like songs like Ace of Wands and Shadow of the Hierophant, but much of his work didn't grab me a whole lot. Meanwhile, Genesis kept making chart-topping songs and only had to quit due to Phil's health. Peter Gabriel went on to make amazing solo stuff that is epic and lovely. I think if Hackett had hung in there and not bailed (I understand why he did, mind you!), he might've been able to influence a tad more groggy stuff in an otherwise pop style band. They might've been more Toto than pop Genesis? who knows?

I've had some really great conversations with Mr. Hackett online, and along with Steve Howe and Steve Lukather and Stevie Ray Vaughan, he is the other Steve in my Steve guitar club whom I idolize ever since my youth. As a 47-year-old guitar hack still noodling around, I love these guys!

I missed Hackett's California tour due to having foot surgery. I'm still pissed!
                    Originally posted by Soundwaveseeker View Post
                    I saw him 2 weeks ago in Wash Dc, he and his band were outstanding. I've said it before, but Hackett is the most successful member of the Genesis camp. Everyone else is retired for the most part but Steve Hackett keeps going - creating new albums and touring consistently. His new material does not embarrass. So in the long run, Hackett won out through consistency, perseverance and quality work. His band is tight. The drummer mentioned is Craig Blundel who has also worked with Steven Wilson, Pendragon and others. He is great.

They did play a somewhat short solo set featuring 2 trax from the recent album and classics from Spectral Mornings, etc. The second set was Genesis all the way, doing all of Seconds Out in its entirety, even extending some of the material. His band did the material justice. Sound-wise, excellent. And the best Genesis Revisited live version of Supper's Ready I had heard yet.

If he swings by you, go see Hackett & his Genesis Revisited tours. You will not be disappointed. If I nitpick, I could say I would have liked more solo material dragged out - he has gallons of albums. Some albums lost in the mist of time, but all good. But he did do ALL of Seconds Out and some, so the sets were a little lopsided in terms of short solo set and a longer than usual second set. Great show, no actual complaints. I can always count on Hackett for good shows and albums. Hackett doesn't seem to age. I think he may be a vampire.

Comment

Working...
                    X