Genesis/Collins full circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis/Collins full circle

I noticed a rather nice coincidence, in that the date of Genesis' last concert yesterday, March 26, was also the date in 1976 that Genesis did their first concert with Phil Collins as lead singer. Talking about getting things full circle!

Hatts off to the guys for giving us so many years of great music and great performances!!
    Last edited by Mr. Holland; 03-27-2022, 01:26 AM.

Peter Gabriel was at Genesis' last concert yesterday evening.

Comment

I saw some of the interviews they did a coule of years ago with all the major members of the band. They looked like they were enjoying each other’s company.
      Peter remarked that they were lucky Phil didn’t join Yes back in ‘70 or something. Phil said that he didn’t feel cofident to fill Bill Bruford’s shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceasar’s Palace View Post
        I saw some of the interviews they did a coule of years ago with all the major members of the band. They looked like they were enjoying each other’s company.
        Peter remarked that they were lucky Phil didn’t join Yes back in ‘70 or something. Phil said that he didn’t feel cofident to fill Bill Bruford’s shoes.
        I think Peter and Phil always got along well. They guested on each others solo albums in the 80s and Phil also guested on one of Peter's concerts in the beginning of the 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Holland View Post
          Peter Gabriel was at Genesis' last concert yesterday evening.
          And the gentleman to the right is Richard McPhail, their first road manager, former Charterhouse schoolmate and the one who lent them the cottage where they wrote "Trespass". He was really important in the early days. Apparently, he was responsible for holding them together after Anthony Phillips left.

It's nice to see these three together after five decades.

Comment

I noticed a rather nice coincidence, in that the date of Genesis' last concert yesterday, March 26, was also the date in 1976 that Genesis did their first concert with Phil Collins as lead singer. Talking about getting things full circle!

Hatts off to the guys for giving us so many years of great music and great performances!!
            Ahhh, they just did that cause it was my birthday 😉😉

Seriously- agree - hats off - one helluva a great run - and glad I’m sure we all have racks of vinyl and cd and such so as to listen to for as long as we can!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtkgasman View Post

Ahhh, they just did that cause it was my birthday 😉😉

Seriously- agree - hats off - one helluva a great run - and glad I’m sure we all have racks of vinyl and cd and such so as to listen to for as long as we can!!!
              Absolutely. For me the fun thing is, that I never thought myself as a really big fan, but found out that every time I listen to Genesis, especially "76 - '87 live stuff, I seem to love their music more.

Comment

such a shame Peter didn't perform with them that night- I feel that Phil maybe shouldn't have done this tour anyway, he is clearly not able to deliver a true performance anymore. Still I salute Genesis for all their glorious years of music, they will always be my first musical obsession.
                The Definitive YES Albums

-The Yes Album-Fragile-Close to the Edge-Tales From Topographic Oceans-
                -Relayer-Going for the One-Drama-90125-Big Generator-Union-Talk-
                -The Ladder-Magnification-Fly From Here-The Quest-

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
                  such a shame Peter didn't perform with them that night- I feel that Phil maybe shouldn't have done this tour anyway, he is clearly not able to deliver a true performance anymore. Still I salute Genesis for all their glorious years of music, they will always be my first musical obsession.
                  Some of the newspaper reviews for the concert here in the Netherlands said that although Collins health has declined he still was as charismatic a frontman as ever (and that he actually sung pretty well although in a lower register), and that a performance from a rockband needs that. One reviewer even said that because of that he actually prefered the Genesis concert over the Steve Hackett Genesis revised concert that also took place in the Netherlands two weeks earlier, even though that was musically more accurate.

Comment

Some of the newspaper reviews for the concert here in the Netherlands said that although Collins health has declined he still was as charismatic a frontman as ever (and that he actually sung pretty well although in a lower register), and that a performance from a rockband needs that. One reviewer even said that because of that he actually prefered the Genesis concert over the Steve Hackett Genesis revised concert that also took place in the Netherlands two weeks earlier, even though that was musically more accurate.
                    Did the reviewer have to pay for her/his tickets? Because if I'd shelled out for Genesis proper I would have to talk myself into preferring it over the Hackett show. But I'm not sure from what you said what it is a 'rock band needs'? An adoring audience? I'm not just being sarcastic about that - I expect there's a certain atmosphere in an arena when you know you're listening to a Swan Song.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris2210 View Post

Did the reviewer have to pay for her/his tickets? Because if I'd shelled out for Genesis proper I would have to talk myself into preferring it over the Hackett show. But I'm not sure from what you said what it is a 'rock band needs'? An adoring audience? I'm not just being sarcastic about that - I expect there's a certain atmosphere in an arena when you know you're listening to a Swan Song.
                      What the reviewer basically said is that a big personality is more important to carry a show than playing or singing perfectly.

Comment

Wow. Definitely the end of an era. Long live Genesis ♥♥

Comment

Originally posted by soundchaser09 View Post
                          As many people (myself included) have written on another forum about Genesis, they (Genesis & Peter) probably understood very well that if Peter had come up on stage, he would have stolen the show and it would have been all about that moment instead of the real significance of the event: the end of Genesis.

It still baffles me that people don't understand that Peter left FORTY-SEVEN (47) years ago and that Steve left FORTY-FIVE (45) years ago. Genesis has been a trio since 1977, in order words for 45 out of 55 years total.

Comment

I loved Phi remark about Peter being in the audience yelling out SUPPERS READY. ha ha ha
                            Most of the coverage I saw on this last show about being the end they all said PC and Genesis. I feel bad for the other guys in the band, still taking second seat to Phil in some fashion.

Comment

Rush and Genesis had 2 things in common. To the end they both could fill a 22000 seat venue to the maximum capacity. Even with Collins disability the shows sold out or were near sellouts

Comment

Working...
                              X